BajaNomad

Keep An Eye On ***ijima Contamination Levels

DavidE - 1-8-2014 at 01:04 PM

I'm not personally too concerned with running into some debris that is saturated with gamma ray emitter contamination. Radiation monitors can pick this up easily. Almost the same is true for Beta emitters.

But alpha emitters are another story altogether. Detectors need to be within fractions of an inch away from contamination in order to detect alpha emissions.

Alpha rays are stopped by clothing and skin.

But if DRIFTWOOD is burned for a beach bonfire and it is contaminated say with a strontium alfa emitter, the SMOKE can enter the lungs and then all hell will break loose. There is zero protection from alfa irradiation of blood circulating in the lungs.

I have no idea if or when ***ijima contaminated waste is going to arrive on the Baja California coast. But dozens and dozens of docks were washed away by the tsunami, and dozens of pounds of alpha emitters have found their way to the Pacific.

Use wisdom when selecting and deciding which scraps of wood are to be used for a bonfire.

And yes, I have a NERT License. Means nuclear emergency response team.

sancho - 1-8-2014 at 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE

But if DRIFTWOOD is burned for a beach bonfire and it is contaminated say with a strontium alfa emitter, the SMOKE can enter the lungs and then all hell will break loose

So avoid wood with Japanese writing? I worked at the
San Onofre Nuke plant for parts of 25 yrs., so I suppose
reached my lifetime exposure limit

Sweetwater - 1-8-2014 at 01:20 PM

Personally, I see ***ashima as the biggest cluster flock the world has ever produced with long lasting effects on the entire Pacific Ocean and every continent that abuts it.

Quote:

“Thyroid cancers up in ***ushima“, Japan Times, 23 December 2013 — “Experts say link to disaster not yet established” Excerpt: Screening of ***ushima residents who were 18 or younger at the time of the 2011 nuclear disaster had found 26 confirmed and 32 suspected cases of thyroid cancer as of Sept. 30, according to the ***ushima Prefectural Government. The number of confirmed cases was up by eight from August, while the suspected cases rose by seven, the prefecture-led study found. About 226,000 people have undergone the screening program since it kicked off in October 2011. The 26 confirmed cases underwent surgery and are doing well, according to the prefecture. A panel of experts at the prefecture concluded Tuesday that it is too early to link the cases to the nuclear disaster, given that papillary thyroid cancer — the type found in the 26 people — develops at a very slow pace, according to prefectural officials. Following the 1986 Chernobyl catastrophe, it took about four to five years for thyroid cancers in significant number to be detected. Thyroid cancer is considered a major health concern for children because radioactive iodine spewed by the crippled nuclear plant tends to accumulate in thyroid glands, especially among young children. Following the Chernobyl disaster, more than 6,000 children were diagnosed with thyroid cancer, according to the U.N. Scientific Committee, which attributed many of the cases to consumption of contaminated milk. According to media reports, thyroid cancer normally strikes about 1 to 2 people aged 10 to 14 per million in Japan, far less than about 115 in 1 million cases in ***ushima. However, the figure cannot be simply compared, because the screening in ***ushima targets all children under 18, most of whom are without any symptoms, and no such screening is being done elsewhere in Japan.

This is a similar post to what I put into the baitfish thread. The radiation and its effects concentrate as it moves UP the food chain. I think the Japanese and the nuclear industry have now wreaked havoc to our planet and it won't be leaving any time soon.

willardguy - 1-8-2014 at 01:25 PM

well I dont like the looks of that! (I think) what do the numbers on the scale mean?

[Edited on 1-8-2014 by willardguy]

Mexitron - 1-8-2014 at 01:34 PM

This is the least nonsensical info I've seen about ***ushima---don't worry too much folks, it ain't that bad:

http://deepseanews.com/2013/11/true-facts-about-ocean-radiat...

True facts about Ocean Radiation and the ***ushima Disaster

"On March 11th, 2011 the Tōhoku earthquake and resulting tsunami wreaked havoc on Japan. It also resulted in the largest nuclear disaster since Chernobyl when the tsunami damaged the ***ushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. Radioactive particles were released into the atmosphere and ocean, contaminating groundwater, soil and seawater which effectively closed local Japanese fisheries.

Rather unfortunately, it has also led to some wild speculation on the widespread dangers of ***ushima radiation on the internet. Posts with titles like “Holy ***ushima – Radiation From Japan Is Already Killing North Americans” and ”28 Signs That The West Coast Is Being Absolutely Fried With Nuclear Radiation From ***ushima” (which Southern Fried Science has already throughly debunked ) keep popping up on my facebook feed from well-meaning friends.

I’m here to tell you that these posts are just plain garbage. While there are terrible things that happened around the ***ushima Power Plant in Japan; Alaska, Hawaii and the West Coast aren’t in any danger. These posts were meant to scare people (and possibly written by terrified authors). They did just that, but there is a severe lack of facts in these posts. Which is why I am here to give you the facts, and nothing but the facts.

WHAT WAS RELEASED INTO THE OCEAN AT ***USHIMA?

The radioactive rods in the ***ushima power plant are usually cooled by seawater [CORRECTION: they are usually cooled by freshwater. As a last ditch emergency effort at ***ushima seawater was used as a coolant.]. The double whammy of an earthquake and a tsunami pretty much released a s**tstorm of badness: the power went out, meltdown started and eventually the radioactive cooling seawater started leaking (and was also intentionally released) into the ocean. Radioactive isotopes were also released into the air and were absorbed by the ocean when they rained down upon it. These two pathways introduced mostly Iodine-131, Cesium-137, and Cesium-134, but also a sprinkling of Tellurium, Uranium and Strontium to the area surrounding the power plant.

There aren’t great estimates of how much of each of these isotopes were released into the ocean since TEPCO, the company that owns the power plant hasn’t exactly been forthcoming with information, but the current estimates are around 538,100 terabecquerels (TBq) which is above Three-Mile Island levels, but below Chernobyl levels. And as it turns out, they recently found contaminated groundwater has also started leaking into the sea. TEPCO, the gift that keeps on giving.

WHAT’S A BEQUEREL? WHAT’S A SIEVERT?

Units of Radiation are confusing. When you start reading the news/literature/blogs, there are what seems like a billion different units to explain radiation. But fear not, I’ve listed them below and what they mean (SI units first).

Becquerel[Bq] or Curie[Ci]: radiation emitted from a radioactive material (1 Ci = 3.7 × 1010 Bq)

Gray [Gy] or Rad[rad]: radiation absorbed by another material (1Gy = 100 rad)

Sieverts[Sv]* or “roentgen equivalent in man”[rem]: how badly radiation will damage...."

Please link to the website to finish the article.

http://deepseanews.com/2013/11/true-facts-about-ocean-radiat...

David K - 1-8-2014 at 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
well I dont like the looks of that! (I think) what do the numbers on the scale mean?

I wonder what group created that map... if it has any basis in reality... IPRC? The logo is small and obscure.

Why does other debris tracked in the Pacific current go past Baja and in a loop back to asia, and repeats, but this graph says it stays trapped between the USA mainland and Hawaii?

It's a done deal, so no matter what is correct, the stuff is in the water... Maybe Godzilla will make a comeback?

Mexitron - 1-8-2014 at 01:37 PM

I might add that the comments afterwords were quite something---out of my league---but some nuclear experts chime in. Sancho, if you worked in a nuke you might be interested.

I don't think much debris will be contaminated with radiation---a lot of that was washed from shore before the nuke went critical. Plus it would be pretty well cleaned from sitting in the ocean for a year.

sancho - 1-8-2014 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
I might add that the comments afterwords were quite something---out of my league---but some nuclear experts chime in. Sancho, if you worked in a nuke you might be interested

While at times, I was in and around Nuke Material, and
was monitered for radiation levels by So. Cal Edison employees,
which I have personally little trust/ faith in, the tech side is
something out of my pay grade

DavidE - 1-8-2014 at 02:18 PM

That's why I avoided a chicken-little scenario in my posting. It takes a mere microgram a BILLIONTH of a gram of alpha emitter to be lethal over a period of time. But the material has to come in contact with blood - hence the lungs. Wood smoke.

An old-dried out piece of driftwood would be safe. But a great looking eight-by-eight may not be the safest thing to fuel a beautiful bonfire.

That interactive sea chart bothers me. We found TONS of flotsam and jetsam from Japan on the Malarrimo Beach in the sixties, yet the chart flow ignores the area. Personally my eyebrows raised a lot when I let the diagram run it's course.

Skipjack Joe - 1-8-2014 at 03:10 PM

One thing I've learned from personal experience is that as your health starts to decline you become more interested in discussions about health food, illnesses, and possible pathogens. It's part of the aging process. If you are unlucky in having a weak constitution it can be a lifetime preoccupation.

David K - 1-8-2014 at 03:13 PM

Quote:

That interactive sea chart bothers me. We found TONS of flotsam and jetsam from Japan on the Malarrimo Beach in the sixties, yet the chart flow ignores the area. Personally my eyebrows raised a lot when I let the diagram run it's course.

BINGO!

From Mike McMahan...

[Edited on 1-8-2014 by David K]

ElCap - 1-8-2014 at 03:29 PM

Quote:

And yes, I have a NERT License. Means nuclear emergency response team.

I think the "N" in NERT stands for Neighborhood, not Nuclear. Nice try.

Johannes - 1-8-2014 at 04:31 PM

The IPRC is an organization providing an international research environment dedicated to improving mankind’s understanding of the nature and predictability of climate variability and change in the Asia-Pacific sectortracks and
http://iprc.soest.hawaii.edu/about/about.php

I don't think that this is distribution of the radioactivity but a copy of the SCUD model. The SCUD Model Tracks Tsunami Driftage of debries. Looking at the IPRC's web page I can not find any radioactivity tracing information.

Johannes - 1-8-2014 at 04:55 PM

Here an article which puts some light of sience into the questionable opinions and data shown here. "To put things in perspective, the ***ushima disaster released approximately one ten-thousandth of the total radiation produce by the world’s coal power plants annually. That number will either be reassuring or terrifying, but, really, it should be both."
read the whole article at http://www.southernfriedscience.com/?p=15903

Whooa !!

captkw - 1-8-2014 at 06:21 PM

It's a well known fact about the current that heads to the west coast from japan !! if you are so pacified watching your TV and don't relize that there is a problem on planet earth about this..Go back to sleep !! me, and many others are keeping are eyes open...unfortnly last week japan passed a bill that any reporting this is not legal..and the little that TEPCO has gave out is a bad joke...Japan does what its done forever to "save face" No one is saying here to build a bunker or leave the coast,,but only a fool would " oh, I watched the news last night and it wasn't mentioned..soo everythings fine"I have seen so many changes this last year from montery to bodega bay than Ive seen my entire life..why..I DONT KNOW !! when I read 98 percent on the ocean floor at station M...I watch,,listen and hope !! The thought of not eating fresh fish is mind blowing !! Russia has stopped all WC shell fish being imported..and today the LA times said don't eat the WC sea food anymore...I Myself would really,,really like to fish in the future... my life fishing clean,,healthy seasfood...look the GULF COAST !! WAKE UP !! btw..I sure in hell don't want hear from some south fool talking about the biggest body of water on the planet...some of us live IT !!! keep your eyes open and be safe !! K&T

Mexitron - 1-8-2014 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Johannes
The IPRC is an organization providing an international research environment dedicated to improving mankind’s understanding of the nature and predictability of climate variability and change in the Asia-Pacific sectortracks and
http://iprc.soest.hawaii.edu/about/about.php

I don't think that this is distribution of the radioactivity but a copy of the SCUD model. The SCUD Model Tracks Tsunami Driftage of debries. Looking at the IPRC's web page I can not find any radioactivity tracing information.

Exactly---this is one of the things the article I posted talked about---the graphs, generally debris maps, are being used as radiation maps! Lot of hysteria and BS. If anyone is concerned about eating fish they should stop eating bananas too---the potassium in organic uncontaminated lovingly grown bananas has naturally occurring radioactive potassium isotopes too---if all of the isotopes were concentrated in one spot inour body it would do serious damage but the fact that they are diluted throughout the system diminishes the toxicity:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/11/16/***ushima...

I would copy the whole article but so much other ads/images get copied with it.....

unknown at this time

captkw - 1-8-2014 at 08:04 PM

what we have been told is AT LEAST 3 REACTORS WITH MORE THAN ONE TYPE OF FUEL..if they touch each other ..good bye japan and one (1) more quake high on the rictor scale we are in deepch-t ...I ran a 120'ft w/40 POB for the exxon valdez incident and have seen first hand when shtf the real news is not going to get out !!...and the NOAA float and tusumi wave projection is being used by internet scum for scare tackics...but ,,why have not these tests not been done ?? its so easy to do..thats what the sciecne experts say??? I can say with confidance,, I don't but would like to know the real story !! as it stands today...but,,that can always change in a BIG way tomorrow...pos thoughts....out!!!

bajario - 1-8-2014 at 08:09 PM

"So avoid wood with Japanese writing? I worked at the
San Onofre Nuke plant for parts of 25 yrs., so I suppose
reached my lifetime exposure limit"

Sancho, My Mother retired from there maybe a year or so ago after 25 or so years. I also worked an outage many years back and got to go in the bubble suits with cool air hoses and peel the gluey stuff of the walls to remove the radiation/contamination stuff. Kind of cool for an 18 yo kid but glad I got canned. Wasn't a career path for me. I remember the pagers you had to where that measured radiation.

I'm not going to worry about ***ushima at this point in time. Plenty of other things to occupy my time.

willardguy - 1-8-2014 at 08:28 PM

mtgoat666 - 1-8-2014 at 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy

The x axis units is radioactivity measured in pachunkyos.
1 pachunkyo = 100 hello kitties.

P.s. The ***ushima hysteria y'all are talking about is a non-issue, it (the plume of seawater) is inconsequential compared to your natural rad exposure.

It's Time to Worry When ................

MrBillM - 1-8-2014 at 09:25 PM

Two-Headed Nips star appearing.

OR, Godzilla surfaces off Point Loma ?

[Edited on 1-9-2014 by MrBillM]

mtgoat666 - 1-8-2014 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
That's why I avoided a chicken-little scenario in my posting. It takes a mere microgram a BILLIONTH of a gram of alpha emitter to be lethal over a period of time.

A microgram is a millionth of a gram. Just saying!

durrelllrobert - 1-9-2014 at 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
I might add that the comments afterwords were quite something---out of my league---but some nuclear experts chime in. Sancho, if you worked in a nuke you might be interested

While at times, I was in and around Nuke Material, and
was monitered for radiation levels by So. Cal Edison employees,
which I have personally little trust/ faith in, the tech side is
something out of my pay grade

When I worked for NAVSAE one of my responsibilities was calibration of the Dosimeters used on nuclear subs and the technician doing the calibration was caught deliberately calibrating them too low. She was fired for sabotage but never convicted of a crime. :fire::fire:

great post durelllrobert

captkw - 1-9-2014 at 11:29 AM

sancho - 1-9-2014 at 11:42 AM

Quote:

When I worked for NAVSAE one of my responsibilities was calibration of the Dosimeters used on nuclear subs and the technician doing the calibration was caught deliberately calibrating them too low. She was fired for sabotage but never convicted of a crime

I would never trust someone who was putting out info
that would PROTECT their job if said info was written to
lean a certain way, in this case favorable to the operator
of the now closed San Onofre plant. Caught a TV program the other day
which had spokesman/scientists who were previously Anti Nuke
who had done a 180 change, now in favor of Nuke
Electric production, the reason being it would cut back
in emissions from other air polluting generating
sources, could not tell if it was legit or not

Right-O

DavidE - 1-9-2014 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
That's why I avoided a chicken-little scenario in my posting. It takes a mere microgram a BILLIONTH of a gram of alpha emitter to be lethal over a period of time.

A microgram is a millionth of a gram. Just saying!

Somewhere I had nanogram stuck in the back of my head. Thanks.

The molten fuel rods are not contained. Japan can only pray that the mass does not encounter ground water. As far as I know San Onofre did not suffer a coolant shutdown failure. I'm not worried about seawater DILUTION of contaminated debris, I'm concerned with a high activity contamination of debris that can float across the Pacific. Debris that can be used as fuel for a bonfire.

bajabum - 1-9-2014 at 08:28 PM

I am going to hide in my house and never go to Baja again...probably not even safe to burn the wood you buy in small bundles at home depot!