BajaNomad

Baja Bugs as Drugs

bajacalifornian - 1-11-2014 at 12:11 PM

After a lot of action, my horse's check engine light came on. Suspension fault was blinking as well.

All morning, he'd been driving cattle for immunization. Now after noon, he was bucky, unruly and unpredictable. We stopped, I looked things over, then took a long slow ride back to the ranch house.

Tethered to a tree, he kept repeatedly rolling on his back and pacing.

My three ranch professors made a quick diagnosis. He had the
Mal de Orin. He couldn't pee.

More concerned about my horse than what my friends were preparing, I did notice one had gone to the truck, returning with a large empty TKT bottle. Later, the same cowboy was out in the arroyo messing with an old tire.

After some time, the TKT bottle was filled with a solution.

If only I had a camera. Restraining my horse's legs with a mecate, he was tipped to lay on the ground on his side. While one member of this medical team held the horse's head in a nose high position, the TKT bottle was inverted pouring it down his throat. The third rancher was stroking the horse's throat, encouraging him to swallow.

Ten minutes later, my horse was standing calmly.

It was a cricket, found in standing water in the old tire. One leg of the cricket had been simmered in a liter of water.

That night, thanks to the leg of that cricket, my 900 pound animal was peein' like a racehorse.

DavidE - 1-11-2014 at 12:15 PM

Not exactly related but my Mexican friends insisted I drink

Te de Cola de Caballo

Damned if that stuff does not work. IT LOWERS BLOOD PRESSURE after a few days.

eye of newt and toe of frog, wool of bat and tongue of dog

Mulegena - 1-11-2014 at 12:27 PM

Be dammed. I'm gob-smacked!

In a small walk-in clinic up in the mountains, one morning I came to work and a tour bus was parked at the entrance, the driver doubled-over out front waiting for us to open.

He. Couldn't. Pee. Blood pressure was sky-high.

We tapped his bladder and his BP took a stagedive back to normal. He got a shot of antibiotics in da butt, and with a sack full of antibiotics in hand he and his busload of tourists were on their happy way!

Cricket legs!
I'm totally impressed!
How in heck did your ranchmen know? Gosh, I love Baja!!

desertcpl - 1-11-2014 at 03:12 PM

go figure,, never in my life have I heard that one

bajacalifornian - 1-11-2014 at 03:13 PM

Like they said, just one leg.

Paulina - 1-11-2014 at 03:28 PM

I'm dealing with horse related health issues now too. I wish I had some of that ranchero knowledge around here. They would probably take one look at the big guy and smack him upside his big horse head for having an attitude instead of an ailment. The vet is checking him out in a week from today.

P>*)))>{

MMc - 1-11-2014 at 05:07 PM

So now the cricket has a limp???:lol::lol::lol:
Glad the horse is doing better.

[Edited on 1-12-2014 by MMc]

Mulegena - 1-11-2014 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Not exactly related but my Mexican friends insisted I drink

Te de Cola de Caballo

Damned if that stuff does not work. IT LOWERS BLOOD PRESSURE after a few days.

Hair of Dog in Spanish may be Cola de Caballo or possibly Pierna de Chapulin!!

Glad you, Daveed, and BC's horse are both up and whinnying again.