BajaNomad

Anyone been to Mag Bay for thr whales sightseeing?

sanfelipebob - 1-11-2014 at 12:42 PM

I was wondering how it is going this year?

55steve - 1-11-2014 at 01:35 PM

I know the gray whales make it down to Guerro Negro (Ojo de Liebre) & San Ignacio - is there a population that ranges down to Mag Bay also?

OK, just checked and yep, they make it down there also...

[Edited on 1-11-2014 by 55steve]

DavidE - 1-11-2014 at 02:40 PM

It's a big bay and what I don't like about it is that Ojo de Liebre and San Ignacio are smaller and females and midwives are aid to keep the bulls and the juveniles out in the mouth of these smaller bays.

Juveniles are rambunctious and just plain uncoordinated. My panga was smacked hard by a juvenile, one guest got cracked rubs. On UNOTICIAS I read where a juvenile smacked a panga hard in Mag Bay a few days ago and there were injuries a couple of them serious.

Shari undoubtedly knows a lot more about this.

shari - 1-11-2014 at 03:06 PM

I hadnt heard about this event in Mag Bay....I did hear about a sport fishing boat that hit a whale near Cabo...and a whale will smack a boat if it is hit.

Whales fill up the northern most lagoon first...there are around 500 whales in Ojo Liebre right now and will have 1,500-2,000 at the peak in late Febrary.

Then San Ignacio gets fuller with 3-400 whales at the peak and then Mag Bay that typically has 2-300 max...but that is usually later in the year...feb-april. One very cool thing about Mag Bay is that if you can get to the mouth, the gray whales surf a wave there!!! There may be a handful of whales in Mag Bay now...but ya know, it's not the quantity, it's the quality!

bajacalifornian - 1-11-2014 at 03:15 PM

I have! I recommend it. Go!, especially in February.