BajaNomad

Any Problems Insuring a Polaris Ranger in Baja?

DawnPatrol - 1-11-2014 at 07:07 PM

Want to start doing some remote surf fishing and off -roading in some Polaris' we have purchased...
I normally get my vehicle Insurance through Discover Baja.
I will call them but does anyone here have any comments or recommendations for insuring a Polaris?

Thanks in advance
Alan from SD

TMW - 1-11-2014 at 09:38 PM

Sorry, I don't know as I have never insured a MC or ATV for Baja or anywhere. But since the cost of a side by side can be pretty high I understand why they should be. For sure call Discover Baja and let us know what they say.

Or

bajaguy - 1-11-2014 at 09:56 PM

Contact Geoff at Bajabound

alacran - 1-13-2014 at 10:32 AM

I have tried to insure a Yamaha 2012 (new) quad, all that was available was liability insurance.

BajaGeoff - 1-13-2014 at 05:41 PM

Hello Alan,

Non-street legal/non-plated vehicles like quads, dirtbikes and ATV's can only be insured for liability when they are being ridden down in Mexico, and coverage only applies when they are driven on a municipal roads. (Note: dirt roads are considered municipal roads so long as they are a main thoroughfare and are maintained from time to time....like the road from Gonzaga to Chapala Junction.)

However, you can usually insure quads, dirtbikes and ATV's for damage/theft coverage when they are being towed in/out of Mexico and while stored on the primary vehicle/trailer so long as they are valued over $3,000 US. As an example, my non-street legal Honda 450X is insured as a towed item on my Toyota 4Runner. When it comes off the Toyota, it has a liability-only policy that covers me when I am riding on municipal roads.

Hope this helps!

DawnPatrol - 1-13-2014 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
Hello Alan,

Non-street legal/non-plated vehicles like quads, dirtbikes and ATV's can only be insured for liability when they are being ridden down in Mexico, and coverage only applies when they are driven on a municipal roads. (Note: dirt roads are considered municipal roads so long as they are a main thoroughfare and are maintained from time to time....like the road from Gonzaga to Chapala Junction.)

However, you can usually insure quads, dirtbikes and ATV's for damage/theft coverage when they are being towed in/out of Mexico and while stored on the primary vehicle/trailer so long as they are valued over $3,000 US. As an example, my non-street legal Honda 450X is insured as a towed item on my Toyota 4Runner. When it comes off the Toyota, it has a liability-only policy that covers me when I am riding on municipal roads.

Hope this helps!

Hey thanks a lot! I will check this out... So as long as I put the ATV back on the trailer after use at the end of the day it would be covered for physical damage?

BajaGeoff - 1-13-2014 at 06:07 PM

Yes...physical damage and theft coverage do apply when the ATV is being stored/towed on the trailer. Just make sure the ATV is listed as a towed item with full coverage on the primary vehicle insurance policy.