BajaNomad

GARY PATTON-INVESTIGATION-OCTOBER 2013

lizard lips - 1-11-2014 at 09:43 PM

On behalf of the Patton family, Bajaguy and I went south to look for Gary prior to the Baja 1000. We started in San Quintin and talked with the employees of Jardines Hotel who told us that Gary left early morning September 05 in his 4 Runner and never returned as he said he would.

We put up flyers everywhere and anywhere permission was granted and talked to everyone we came into contact with including several who were pre-running the 1000.

Junkyards, tow yards, police stations and police outposts, morgue, Red Cross, hospitals, pharmacies, hotels, restaurants, taco stands, and literally anywhere we went flyers were given out.

As we drove south we stopped at surf spots, residences close to the ocean and surf spots and told all to keep their eyes open for Gary and his vehicle.

Antonio Munoz at Baja Cactus was very helpful putting up flyers. It was the first time I ever met him. Now that he has ambulances he is called for traffic accidents and medical issues in and around Rosario and if anyone would be aware if Gary was involved in an accident or needed medical care around Rosario he would be the man.

We continued to BOLA and again hit the streets; flyers went up and prior to leaving we felt confident that all was covered.

The only sighting, which we felt was confirmed, was from waiters at The Old Mill Restaurant. We were told that Gary was sitting at a table with another man having a few drinks and engaged in a conversation and that he liked to talk a lot. They identified him through photos. The waiters could not tell us when they saw him but it was about the same time when he was staying at Jardines.

We also spoke with the investigators that were assigned the investigation at the San Quintin Ministerio Publico. The would not allow us to view there file however did say that Gary was seen smoking marijuana with another man in the parking lot at the Old Mill. No date of this alleged event was given.

According to the Patton family Gary did not use drugs and stated that he would be smart enough to stay clear of anyone smoking pot or using drugs. My thoughts on this are it’s quite possible that these investigators are attempting to stage a story for future use. What I mean by this is when I worked on the two Nevada guys that were missing and found dead close to Rosario the MP office said that they were in Mexico to purchase drugs and met their fate while doing so. Both of the dead men were quite wealthy and were in Baja to fish and camp. They never used drugs. It was an excuse to keep tourism flowing. I’m not saying it’s not possible but very odd especially when they would not tell me who was the person who told them this. I would have interviewed this person for more information.

Even though my phone number is on the flyer I have only received a handful of calls. Some people wanted to get an update and others just wanted to let me know they were praying for Gary and his safe return. Most of these calls were from people in Rosarito so those of you there please keep an eye out.

Prior to leaving on this trip I did contact several Nomads who were a great help with what was asked of them. I want to thank them as well as Brianmckenzie (Andy). Doc invited me to a lunch with Andy in Ensenada after we gat back and I handed him a bunch of flyers and told him everything we did and where we went. He was on his way south and as you can see from his posts he went the extra mile and covered a lot south of BOLA. He was a great help! Bajablanca, Shari, Bajadixon and Timetraveler were also of great help so Thank You all very much. If there is someone I missed, and I know there are, Thank You!

The Patton family and I have not given up hope. Gary is still out there, somewhere, as is his vehicle. It’s been very hard on them during the holidays as expected. Gary and the 4 Runner has got to be out there so please keep your eyes open. It wouldn’t be hard for someone to slap a Baja license plate on the car and drive it around.

Eventually Gary will be found and the story will come out.

Ateo - 1-11-2014 at 09:53 PM

Gracias for your investigation.

Thank You

bajaguy - 1-11-2014 at 10:08 PM

It was an honor and a pleasure being able to assist you with this investigation.

It is also surprising that there has been no response or any substantial information developed from the flyers that we, and others have passed out.

We also spoke to and handed out flyers at every military checkpoint and made it a point to speak to either the senior enlisted or commissioned office in charge.

We are all praying for a successful conclusion, and to have Gary returned to his family.

David K - 1-11-2014 at 10:56 PM

Thank you LL, you are the best at what you do!

DocRey - 1-12-2014 at 08:51 AM

I was just reading in the Borderland Beat website regarding all the missing ( sadly, and worse ), of how many corrupt officials, at every level are involved in some way or another. This is my most ardent fear when in Mexico. You just never know.
Continued prayers & thoughts for Gary & the Pattons.

BajaBlanca - 1-12-2014 at 09:21 AM

I wish I could do more. Thanks so much for the update.

shari - 1-12-2014 at 09:27 AM

thank you for the update and optimism....we will continue to be vigilant.

Whale-ista - 1-12-2014 at 11:43 AM

Thank you. Appreciate the update.

Was just noticing no posts had been made for several days, and wondered what was new.

Could he be more comfortable in southern Baja, as weather cools up north? Perhaps investigation needs to migrate south?

SoCalPattonCrew - 1-12-2014 at 04:18 PM

Thank you again LL for the diligence you have shown through your investigation. We are staying hopeful and appreciate all you have done for our family.

BajaDixon - 1-13-2014 at 11:18 AM

I am going on a 2500 mile off road trip in my Rzr1000 beginning this Friday. This trip will see us crisscrossing Baja from San Quintin to Cabo and back again. We may even venture North of San Quintin. I will keep a eye out for Gary and his pickup. The pickup may very well be altered by now so I will keep that in mind. I'm thinking that if someone painted it they may not have done a very good job of disguising it.

I have already scoured much of the area on both sides of the peninsula from San Quintin to LA Bay. Any other spots out there that you think might be useful to take a closer look at while I'm travelling around. Did you check the area along the Pacific south of El Rosario?

lizard lips - 1-13-2014 at 04:20 PM

Yes Dixon. We covered the surf camps south of Rosario and everything north to Maneandero. Last week I made stops in Rosarito and want to keep going and posting flyers. Eventually something will pop! Just need one good sighting and can concentrate on that area. Please do what you can during your travels it will be much appreciated.

Thanks

David K - 1-13-2014 at 04:26 PM

BajaDixon: It was a 4Runner, which is more of a wagon/ SUV than a 'pickup'. Unless it was chopped?

BooJumMan - 1-22-2014 at 01:35 PM

Saw your flyers a few weeks back in El Rosario, I was aware of his disappearance when I had left from reading on here on the forums. Spent a lot of time driving around West of Catavina and no sightings. I am a Toyota nut and have had 3 of those 4runners so I can spot them easily too.