BajaNomad

Tecate crossing latest

oxxo - 1-14-2014 at 04:46 PM

We crossed at Tecate going south last Sunday at 7:30am. It had been almost 9 months since we had made that crossing. There were a couple new wrinkles since that time.

Customs was stopping and checking every vehicle at the border. Every car was getting the red light. We had a new flat screen TV in the original box and new in the box DVD player in the back (it is for a neighbor). They didn't even ask about it. They made a quick cursory glance and sent us on our way. It was very easy and took less than 5 minutes.

Wife needed a new tourist card. Last time she was sent to another office to pay a cashier. This time the immigration officer took her money and gave her a receipt. Maybe this was because it was Sunday? Quien sabe. Total time at the border was at most 15 minutes.

As reported before, some roadwork north of Colonet, but nothing too major. For the most part, the roads were in decent shape. Without exception, the roads in Baja Sur are better maintained than in Baja Norte.

Viaje bien, no problemas.

Bajahowodd - 1-14-2014 at 06:02 PM

The highways in BCS have been much better than those in BC for years, with the curious exception of the highway between the Loreto airport and the Villa development at Ensenada Blanca. Alway wondered if the local authorities were trying to get Villa to repair the road.

bigzaggin - 1-16-2014 at 02:13 PM

In general, does it seem Tecate crossing has been majorly impacted by Salsipuedes slide? And if so, have they increased hours to accommodate extra traffic?

[Edited on 1-16-2014 by bigzaggin]

oxxo - 1-16-2014 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigzaggin
In general, does it seem Tecate crossing has been majorly impacted by Salsipuedes slide? And if so, have they increased hours to accommodate extra traffic?

[Edited on 1-16-2014 by bigzaggin]

The answers to your two questions are "no" and "no."

bigzaggin - 1-16-2014 at 04:41 PM

"Thank" and "you"

dtbushpilot - 1-16-2014 at 04:49 PM

Crossed Monday morning, same thing, all cars get red light. Had a bunch of stuff but nothing more than a cursory look. I gave him the title to my dirt bike, he asked for the registration but seemed satisfied with my explanation that dirt bikes aren't registered in New Mexico. My esposa bonita had to get an FMM and they took payment at IMM with a receipt.

An interesting observation: if you have a motorcycle in the back of the truck or trailer they seem to have tunnel vision, they go immediately to the bike and don't even notice the box of assault rifles sitting on the back seat.

bajabuddha - 1-16-2014 at 04:49 PM

The big Q is; how is northbound crossing affected by the toll freeway 'closure' (although i read traffic is being diverted around the slide area). Has the lines and wait-time increased?

dasubergeek - 1-16-2014 at 05:29 PM

It hasn't been impacted at all. Crossing times are the usual, though with the expansion of lanes at SY, they're better than they have been.

BajaBlanca - 1-16-2014 at 05:29 PM

People coming here have said it adds about 15 minutes is all.

Regarding the BC and BCS roads, wouldn't you all agree that the Norte portion of highway 1 has better shoulders to pull over in case of trouble?

Les always does the driving, but it seems to me that the roads here in the south have fewer shoulders.

Udo - 1-16-2014 at 05:43 PM

We crossed last Saturday 01/11/14 at 2 p.m.

We were ready for a crapshoot because of the closing of the toll road, but were pleasantly surprised at the 20 minute wait.
Just before that we had a 45 minute wait at the Tecate INM office for some paperwork.

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
The big Q is; how is northbound crossing affected by the toll freeway 'closure' (although i read traffic is being diverted around the slide area). Has the lines and wait-time increased?

Udo - 1-16-2014 at 05:45 PM

You are right, Blanca,

BUT...

BCS has much wider Mex 1, and better pavement than BCN.

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
People coming here have said it adds about 15 minutes is all.

Regarding the BC and BCS roads, wouldn't you all agree that the Norte portion of highway 1 has better shoulders to pull over in case of trouble?

Les always does the driving, but it seems to me that the roads here in the south have fewer shoulders.

oxxo - 1-16-2014 at 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

Blanca, I have no idea since out in the middle of the desert with no traffic we straddle the white line which leaves plenty of shoulder! :lol:

waiting for David to give me the :light:

[Edited on 1-17-2014 by oxxo]

Tecate 5 pm Thursday

Whale-ista - 1-16-2014 at 08:54 PM

I mistakenly drove into left lane en route to Ensenada a few hours ago. The guard asked to look in my camper shell, (personal gear, camping stuff) and waved me thru, no problems.

2 soldiers wandered over to the front of the truck, I guess to admire the barking poodle, firmly attached to the seatbelt per new law. I assured them She sounds fierce, "pero ella esta muy amistosa."

Drove around the block and parked near aduana office. Bank closed at 4 pm, so FMM for 180 days was issued and paid for directly at office. Road thru hills into Guadalupe Valley were generally good- a few slow trucks, not much traffic. I arrived in San Miguel a little over an hour later.

The man in the aduana office had assured me Hwy 3 was "muy tranquilo" this time of day/evening, and he was right.

bkbend - 1-17-2014 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot

An interesting observation: if you have a motorcycle in the back of the truck or trailer they seem to have tunnel vision, they go immediately to the bike and don't even notice the box of assault rifles sitting on the back seat.

I've noticed the same thing with a boat. I crossed with two new mattresses (a little hard to hide those) and assorted other new items and went to the 'declare' lane so I could pay my dues. I went to the back of the pickup to show what I had. The inspector looked at the stuff and asked for the boat registration. I produced it, she checked the numbers against the actual numbers on the boat, and told me I was free to leave.

apple - 1-17-2014 at 10:52 AM

In general, is it worth it to cross at Tecate when travelling from Ensenada to San Diego? I've read reports of quite a few people taking that route lately

dasubergeek - 1-17-2014 at 11:19 AM

In general, I would say no, especially given the recent crossing wait times. It's more or less a crapshoot which one will be fastest. The only thing going for Tecate is its remote location... but if there's a huge line at Tecate, they can't "staff up" and open more windows, because there are only two windows.

Assuming you're going to downtown SD, it's 15 minutes from SY, 25 minutes from Otay, and an hour from Tecate... so even then you won't save much time.

oxxo - 1-17-2014 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by apple
In general, is it worth it to cross at Tecate when travelling from Ensenada to San Diego? I've read reports of quite a few people taking that route lately

Crossing from Mexico to the US at Tecate has taken us anywhere from 10 minutes to 45 minutes (the longest wait). This experience is based on 7 years experience crossing about 25 times. At this time, there is no Sentry lane at Tecate.

bigzaggin - 1-17-2014 at 02:40 PM

So after almost 30 years of crossing via SY, I'll be crossing/reentering via Tecate for the first time in the coming weeks. I'm sure this info exists elsewhere on a forum, but while we're on it, a few questions for the Tecate vets...

1.) Lotta talk about FMMs here. I have never once been asked for one at SY and only bother when I'm heading to BCS just in case the station outside GN is open on return. Am I way more likely to get asked for this at Tecate crossing?

2.) How's the crossing at dark? Is road through Tecate to the S clearly marked? Safe?

3.) And how is the road from there to Ensenada in general? I'm sure it's typically Baja, but is it ESPECIALLY Baja...high/narrow/windy/hard to pass on? Would you drive it at night? (I know, I know...but if you HAD to?)

4.) Is the 10PM closure a hard time? In other words, if you're in line at 10:15, do they turn you away?

5.) How long is the drive from the 805 turnoff to Tecate?

Thank you!

[Edited on 1-17-2014 by bigzaggin]

oxxo - 1-17-2014 at 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigzaggin
1.) Lotta talk about FMMs here. I have never once been asked for one at SY and only bother when I'm heading to BCS just in case the station outside GN is open on return. Am I way more likely to get asked for this at Tecate crossing?

No. In 25 crossings we have never been asked

Quote:
2.) How's the crossing at dark? Is road through Tecate to the S clearly marked? Safe?

There is one tricky jog. I hope David K will post a map for you. The area is safe, just be sure that you follow the speed limits and stop at every stop sign so you don't give the local police an opportunity to pull you over.

Quote:
3.) And how is the road from there to Ensenada in general? I'm sure it's typically Baja, but is it ESPECIALLY Baja...high/narrow/windy/hard to pass on? Would you drive it at night? (I know, I know...but if you HAD to?)

Hwy 3 is one of the best stretches of two lane road anywhere in Baja. Part of it is even 4 lanes. Yes, I have driven it at night with no worries.

Quote:
4.) Is the 10PM closure a hard time? In other words, if you're in line at 10:15, do they turn you away?

I've NEVER seen a line to cross into Mexico, but I always cross about 7:30 to 8:30am.

Quote:

I think it is about 30 miles, maybe a little more.

viaje bien

dasubergeek - 1-17-2014 at 03:25 PM

1. I have never been asked whether I have an FMM at any northern land border crossing. It is up to you to comply with the rules.

2. The road is extremely well marked. Follow signs for Ensenada. Beware of the usual Baja hazards, including extremely zealous police officers. Make sure to stop (but not for too long) at each stop sign.

3. The road to Ensenada is good by Baja standards, fair-to-middling by U.S. standards. I went through about a month ago and there was one short stretch of "detour", maybe a kilometer tops. There are windy stretches between Palm Valley and Francisco Zarco. I prefer not to drive at night in Baja, but it's much less dangerous at night than, say, Mex-1 crossing the desert. Be aware of settlements and their topes, though there are fewer topes than markings for topes, if you get my drift.

4. It's a hard closure. There is never a line southbound at Tecate so they just close it.

5. It is 36 miles from the 805/94 junction to Tecate and will take you 45-55 minutes at night. Ensenada is 72 miles and 1.5-2 hours from the border by night.

bigzaggin - 1-17-2014 at 03:58 PM

Awesome intel. Thank you guys. I'm sure once I do this I'll have the "should have done it all along" epiphany everyone else does.

absinvestor - 1-17-2014 at 04:16 PM

Udo and Blanca- my 2 cents is : I have personally lost a RV mirror to an oncoming 18 wheeler and I know of at least 5 other RV'ers who have had the same experience. All in BajaSur south of San Quintin and before Santa Rosalia. There are literally miles of the hwy on that stretch with not only no shoulders but enough of a drop off to roll a motorhome that moves to the right of the pavement. On the other hand I don't know of anybody traveling in Baja Norte who has lost a mirror due to the inability to move to the right to give an oncoming 18 wheeler room to pass.

David K - 1-17-2014 at 05:00 PM

Baja Geoff posted a video of using Hwy. 3 to Ensenada so see it.

The border does not close at 10.

There is no grace period if you are even one car from the border when the closing time comes (11 pm sharp), you will need to wait until the next morning to cross here (5 am)!

Tecate USA is tiny, so don't expect much before you get to the border. Once you enter Mexico, you continue straight (it is downhill) to a big intersection with an overhead signal structure. This is Hwy. 2 and the city park is on the other side. TURN LEFT (east) for just 1 block then TURN RIGHT (south again), along the side of the park. There are NO MORE TURNS to make for the next 70 miles! It is too easy!

Coming back north here is a bit more complex, as you come towards downtown Tecate you will head east along the RR Tracks (well signed), fork left away from the tracks and go east until the border access road signal, where you turn left (north) to go to the USA (Garita) Border.

Not an 18 wheeler but..

durrelllrobert - 1-17-2014 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
Udo and Blanca- my 2 cents is : I have personally lost a RV mirror to an oncoming 18 wheeler and I know of at least 5 other RV'ers who have had the same experience. All in BajaSur south of San Quintin and before Santa Rosalia. There are literally miles of the hwy on that stretch with not only no shoulders but enough of a drop off to roll a motorhome that moves to the right of the pavement. On the other hand I don't know of anybody traveling in Baja Norte who has lost a mirror due to the inability to move to the right to give an oncoming 18 wheeler room to pass.

On two different occasions I have lost my drivers side mirror on the road to La Buffadora to a car hogging the centerline. No room to pull over there.

bigzaggin - 1-17-2014 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Baja Geoff posted a video of using Hwy. 3 to Ensenada so see it.

The border does not close at 10.

There is no grace period if you are even one car from the border when the closing time comes (11 pm sharp), you will need to wait until the next morning to cross here (5 am)!

Tecate USA is tiny, so don't expect much before you get to the border. Once you enter Mexico, you continue straight (it is downhill) to a big intersection with an overhead signal structure. This is Hwy. 2 and the city park is on the other side. TURN LEFT (east) for just 1 block then TURN RIGHT (south again), along the side of the park. There are NO MORE TURNS to make for the next 70 miles! It is too easy!

Coming back north here is a bit more complex, as you come towards downtown Tecate you will head east along the RR Tracks (well signed), fork left away from the tracks and go east until the border access road signal, where you turn left (north) to go to the USA (Garita) Border.

Thank you David. Just watched Geoff's video...awesome. Looks pretty easy.

[Edited on 1-18-2014 by bigzaggin]

Don't know where you are heading, but..

durrelllrobert - 1-17-2014 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo

Quote:

I think it is about 30 miles, maybe a little more.

viaje bien

...If you are heading towards north county there's no reason to go to the I-805. The 94 westbound out of Tecate hooks up with north bound hwy 125 in Spring Valley and you can take it to I-8 east or west' or continue on to Santee where you get on the 56 west bound to the I-15 north or south by Miramar, or continue on to the I-805 or I-5 by La Jolla. Miss all the San Diego traffic.

oxxo - 1-17-2014 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
...If you are heading towards north county there's no reason to go to the I-805. The 94 westbound out of Tecate hooks up with north bound hwy 125 in Spring Valley and you can take it to I-8 east or west' or continue on to Santee where you get on the 56 west bound to the I-15 north or south by Miramar, or continue on to the I-805 or I-5 by La Jolla. Miss all the San Diego traffic.

That is exactly what we do! Easy peasy!

EnsenadaDr - 1-17-2014 at 08:33 PM

Hwy 3 is beautiful driving at night. The moon and stars are incredible!! (Hey we are in Baja so let's enjoy the desolation!!) I drove from La Mision to the shortcut today to the free road (get off at the Oxxo by Punta Piedra and then make a short left, the road is really bumpy but evens out after a few feet). The traffic south to Ensenada was ok, though I believe the Tecate road is much nicer driving than the free road from La Mision to Ensenada. Kept at a good pace driving south, not much traffic. Headed back to Tecate and there were trucks, because I hear they are diverting all trucks off the free road through Tecate. The truck etiquette was phenomenal. The big double axle trucks which include the beer trucks with the Tecate logo on them practically pull over the side of the road to let the faster traffic by. I have never seen such driving etiquette in my life!! Made pretty good time to Tecate.

dasubergeek - 1-20-2014 at 08:07 AM

I drove from Fco. Zarco to Tecate yesterday and I'll echo the truck etiquette—it was absolutely a sight to behold. Cars, too—MX-plated cars that were having trouble going uphill would pull right and put on their left blinkers (you do know that a left blinker means "safe to pass" and not "I'm turning left" in rural Mexico, right?). CA-plated cars were jerks.

If you can hack Campo Rd. (CA-94) through Jamul, Dulzura and Barrett Jct. on the US side, then Hwy. 3 will be no problem at all. The road surface is not as glass-smooth as CA-94 but even in the hilliest parts descending into Palm Valley and then into Francisco Zarco, it's not as twisty as the US side.

There is construction in Tecate and you'll be sharing the northbound lanes; it's not a problem and far better maintained than most roadworks projects in Baja, but it is there and the police are waiting for you to screw up.

Speaking of the Tecate Municipal Fundraising Force, I was followed by three separate police in Tecate, all the way from the bottom of the hill until I turned off on Culiacán for the border. Stopped just long enough at the stop signs, eventually they lost interest I guess. The line was backed up to the left turn from Culiacán onto the border road; it took about an hour to cross.

oladulce - 1-20-2014 at 09:11 AM

Entered Mexico through Tecate 2 days ago, on A Saturday at 7am. Chose "nothing to declare lane" and got the green light but were asked to stop for inspection, which hasn't happened in many years. She opened every door and drawer inside the travel trailer, checked in the bathroom and behind the shower curtain, looked in the microwave and oven and fridge. Asked to see the TT registration and we were on our way. Curious what valuables people have tried to smuggle in via a trailer microwave- the size of a shoe box?

J.P. - 1-20-2014 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Entered Mexico through Tecate 2 days ago, on A Saturday at 7am. Chose "nothing to declare lane" and got the green light but were asked to stop for inspection, which hasn't happened in many years. She opened every door and drawer inside the travel trailer, checked in the bathroom and behind the shower curtain, looked in the microwave and oven and fridge. Asked to see the TT registration and we were on our way. Curious what valuables people have tried to smuggle in via a trailer microwave- the size of a shoe box?

How about CASH $$$$

oxxo - 1-20-2014 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Curious what valuables people have tried to smuggle in via a trailer microwave- the size of a shoe box?

Gun! A friendly member of the Army told me a couple of years ago at one of the stops that older Americans (he emphasized "older") are frequently caught, not with drugs, but with personal guns which is a big "no-no." Shoebox is about the right size for a hand gun. He said that Mexicans are rarely found with guns but more often with drugs going north.

Mayne8n - 1-26-2014 at 03:51 PM

I am crossing at Tecate in a few weeks. I will be hauling a 17' cargo trailer and I am sure I will be pulled over for inspection. Can anyone tell me what the parking will be for a truck and trailer? Thanks

dasubergeek - 1-26-2014 at 04:30 PM

They will direct you to where they want you to park.

David K - 1-26-2014 at 04:46 PM

It is a 'tiny' border (1-2 lanes open into Mexico)... Why a lot of Nomads like it!
Not open 24 hours! Don't get in the line northbound too late in the evening, at 11:00 pm SHARP, the gate closes. Southbound you will likely drive right into Mexico with no wait... or very short.

rts551 - 1-26-2014 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
It is a 'tiny' border (1-2 lanes open into Mexico)... Why a lot of Nomads like it!
Not open 24 hours! Don't get in the line northbound too late in the evening, at 11:00 pm SHARP, the gate closes. Southbound you will likely drive right into Mexico with no wait... or very short.

Title is the "latest"

when was the last time you crossed?

Today going south it was very busy and every one being checked.

David K - 1-26-2014 at 07:05 PM

7 months ago. Did I say anything inaccurate?

rts551 - 1-26-2014 at 07:31 PM

Quote:

yes. southbound only one lane and a wait. every vehicle checked,

oxxo - 1-26-2014 at 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
yes. southbound only one lane and a wait. every vehicle checked,

Yes, that is the latest and most accurate.

Bajaboy - 1-26-2014 at 09:01 PM

Quote:

I lost track....:lol::P