BajaNomad

Notes from the Field: Botany Updates from Sierra Cacachila

oladulce - 1-17-2014 at 08:58 AM

This is off the subject of your post Don Jorge, but as a member of the Cal. Native Plants Society you might have an answer for me. We're currently at a friend's place in Rancho Capistrano off Ortega hwy. Do you know what type of Manzanita are up here? I can't tell from online photos.

In the past I've collected seeds from these local Manzanita and taken them to Baja Sur where, much to my surprise, I have had one grow. Unfortunately, I had thrown the seeds too close to a peach tree and tried to move the Manzanita when it got about 2ft high and it didn't survive.

I'm going to collect seeds today and take them back to the casa and try again. I'd like to know more about this local variety of Manzanita and it's gorgeous red bark.

Frigatebird - 1-17-2014 at 01:07 PM

Speaking of Tree of Life Nursery, last Fall I attended a presentation of Dr. Rebman's there, and picked up the 3rd edition of the Baja California Plant Field Guide, which he authored & signed. The man is a walking encyclopedia. It would be great to have him along on a walking tour anywhere in Baja.

I agree with you Don that Blue Palm photo was special.

Mexitron - 1-17-2014 at 01:26 PM

Wow, looks like a heckuva expedition!

Not sure if its the same place in Central Baja but I've seen the same scenario with the Blue Palms---Blue Oaks, Peninsular Madrone, along with all the Central Desert Cactii and Caudiforms (and Dudleya rubens to boot!).

Don---I've had fun the last couple years being an occasional Designer-in-Residence at Tree-of-Life Nursery...its a new program Mike is trying out to bring in more business.

David K - 1-17-2014 at 01:38 PM

Near Tinaja de Yubay, north Desengaņo, off the Bahia de los Angeles road, is a place I named 'Rock Palm Hill', where the blue palms grow out of the granite up high, not on the arroyo floor, alongside boojums. This can also be seen in Berrendo Canyon, southwest of San Felipe, and Mark B_C saw it in Salsipuedes, too.

Mexitron - 1-17-2014 at 03:29 PM

Exactly David---Berrendo is a perfect example of Blue Palm's ability to grow extra-riparian. You can see them up on the tops of 3-4,000 foot granite peaks there. Here's one growing at 4,200 feet on the edge of the Matomi Mesa nearby, but on volvanic substrate:

EL BERRENDO

David K - 1-17-2014 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Exactly David---Berrendo is a perfect example of Blue Palm's ability to grow extra-riparian. You can see them up on the tops of 3-4,000 foot granite peaks there.

(tell you what, so as not to side bar Don Jorge's great post, I will make a Caņon el Berrendo post on the hiking forum.)

HERE: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=71664

[Edited on 1-17-2014 by David K]

BajaNomad - 1-17-2014 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jorge

Here is a link to a short video of the expedition:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iwEVaLzoco&list=UUtStkiF...

DianaT - 1-18-2014 at 09:27 AM

THANKS --- great video and interesting work. One of the things we enjoyed so much while we had our house in Bahia Asuncion was often being host to a young plant researcher from Berkeley and his friends. We learned so much.

That is how we had the pleasure of meeting Sula Vanderplank, the first young woman on the video. Her graduate work has been on the plants in the San Qunitin area and anyone interested in saving more land from development, might be interested in supporting the organization to which she is an advisor, Terra Peninsular.

They are based out of Ensenada and I know some of you are familiar with them and their good work.

Sorry for the minor hijack. :saint::saint:

BajaBlanca - 1-18-2014 at 11:35 AM

How interesting !

Kgryfon - 1-19-2014 at 01:45 AM

Where are they? I looked for a map of the location but couldn't find anything online.

David K - 1-19-2014 at 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kgryfon
Where are they? I looked for a map of the location but couldn't find anything online.

From Don Jorge:

"the Sierra Cacachila located east of La Paz."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is an 'Arroyo Cacachilla' on the topo maps, it flows north into Arroyo Las Cruces and into the gulf at Punta Las Cruces.
Between La Paz and La Ventana/ El Sargento.

Kgryfon - 1-19-2014 at 03:16 AM

Thanks, David. I read that as well. I was looking for a map showing the location.