BajaNomad

Hwy 3 vs Hwy 1 to get back to Ensenada from GN

Whale-ista - 1-18-2014 at 04:14 PM

For those who have driven north recently: Any idea if driving east from Laguna Chapala, then taking Hwy 3 to Ensenada, is a better choice for the return from down south, given all the traffic/road work in the San Quintin-Maneadero area right now?

I'd appreciate your comments/recommendations on driving hwy 3 to Gonzaga/Ensenada vs Hwy 1. I think there's a dirt stretch from the Chapala turn off, but will I still be ahead of all the construction delays going on now that are a pain, not to mention the coastal road traffic between San Quinitin/Ensenada.

Thanks for any feedback on the drive back.

oxxo - 1-18-2014 at 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
For those who have driven north recently: Any idea if driving east from Laguna Chapala, then taking Hwy 3 to Ensenada, is a better choice for the return from down south, given all the traffic/road work in the San Quintin-Maneadero area right now?

I'd appreciate your comments/recommendations on driving hwy 3 to Gonzaga/Ensenada vs Hwy 1. I think there's a dirt stretch from the Chapala turn off, but will I still be ahead of all the construction delays going on now that are a pain, not to mention the coastal road traffic between San Quinitin/Ensenada.

Thanks for any feedback on the drive back.

I just drove Hwy 1 between SQ and Ensenada last week. There was only minor construction work with no delays.

Take the turn off at Chapala if you want to endure 2 hours of teeth rattling washboard road. I did that stretch last year and never again!

David K - 1-18-2014 at 08:02 PM

If you come up the gulf side from Hwy. 1 at Laguna Chapala via Gonzaga Bay to San Felipe (Hwy. 5), I advise taking Hwy. 5 all the way to the edge of Mexicali (Hwy. 2-D) then go west to Tecate (if going to San Diego or Orange County). If going any other place, cross at Mexicali... staying on Mexico Hwy. 5.

Getting on 2-D for Tecate from San Felipe requires going past that highway's overpass, go about a 1/4 mile, making a U-turn, and getting on from the southbound side of Mex. 5. :no: No direct onramp from the south! :wow:

edit: per oxxo's reply, yes... you have to endure 38 miles of 2WD dirt road... that used to be why people went to Baja! ;)

[Edited on 1-19-2014 by David K]

Take Hwy 1

bajaguy - 1-18-2014 at 08:41 PM

You can thank me later :lol: