BajaNomad

Where to buy fly gear in La Paz / Cabo?

chavycha - 1-20-2014 at 12:48 PM

My old 12 weight met a premature end yesterday when a fish dove under the boat and snapped the rod on the gunwale. We're in Bahia Asuncion for another few weeks, and then we're headed to La Ribera on February 10.

Does anyone know if there's a place in either Cabo or La Paz that sells fly rods? I would prefer not to spend an arm and a leg as it will primarily be a backup rod to my good 10 weight... so a Redington/TFO/etc would be perfect.

I got a note that Minerva's in Cabo is a good place to look.

Pompano - 1-20-2014 at 04:15 PM

You heard the right information on the best tackle shop in Cabo..Minervas is the place. Also, about a block down the street from there is a pawn shop that sometimes has good deals on used rods/reels. Kind of sounds like what you're looking for, sorry, can't remember any names, but it would be worth a look.

You might also scan Craigslist Baja. Tons of stuff there, too.

chavycha - 1-20-2014 at 04:35 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll try both spots, probably hit the pawn shop first. :)

No luck on Craigslist, but that might change in the next couple weeks.

DJL - 1-20-2014 at 04:35 PM

Look-up Mike Reiser , he's in Los Barrilles (at least , he should be there .... come the end of the sports show season here in the States) .

http://www.bajaflyfish.com/index.php

Contact info is on the link above , he might be able to sort a new 12 wt. for you . Good luck !!

D.~

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 1-20-2014 at 09:40 PM

Hola chavycha,

as you're going to be going online, sign on and post on " bloodydecks.com ". also, sign onto and post on " bajaponyexpress3@gmail.com.

good luck,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

jeffg - 1-20-2014 at 10:51 PM

Also check out Jansen's Tackle in Cabo, next door to the Mar de Cortez hotel.

ncampion - 1-21-2014 at 08:41 AM

You could try Pam in Loreto at Baja Big Fish Co. She used to keep a few rods around for sale.

http://www.bajabigfish.com/

chavycha - 1-21-2014 at 10:00 AM

Great, I dropped her a line just now. It's not exactly a dire circumstance if I can't find one, but y'know how it goes... if I don't have one, it'll be the one time that I absolutely NEED to be able to throw a 600 grain head. :)

Alan - 1-21-2014 at 12:48 PM

you might try contacting http://bajapiratesoflapaz.com/ and see if they can assist you with your needs. I think they have a distributor for Loop on their staff.

Cancamo - 1-22-2014 at 09:23 AM

Try Jimmy at his Pezcifico Tackle Shop in La Ribera. He ties flys, knowledgable, great guy. If he doesn't have one, he would know where to find it. bajaflyco@hotmail.com pezcifico@yahoo.com
tel: 624-130-0077

chavycha - 1-23-2014 at 03:24 PM

#@&* me. Went to dig out some of the gear this afternoon, and found that sometime in the past 48 hours, my nice 10 weight got snapped as well! Not by a fish this time, maybe when we were moving kayaks around yesterday. It was in a case, too. How the heck???

Arggggggggh. Looks like I might be getting a nice bill from Mexican customs for a Cabela's order. You'd think that bringing a bundle of rods, I could at least GET TO my fishing destination. :(

Cardon Man - 1-26-2014 at 09:07 AM

That's a tough deal on the 10wt. Two rods down is no bueno. I regret to say that none of the tackle shops suggested in the Los Cabos area carries fly tackle. Trying to get an outfitter to sell you one is probably not likely either. You might want to look into having some rods shipped down to you. At least that way you'll get what you want/need.

chavycha - 1-26-2014 at 09:48 AM

Yeah, that seems to be the case with the outfitters. I was able to repair the 10wt, but don't really trust it for anything more than casting.

I think I will try to find someone who is coming down in early Feb. who wouldn't mind bringing a small package. The cost for shipping and import fees is ridiculous. Ends up at about 60% of retail. I don't particularly like paying retail for gear (I've built my own rods for years), much less 160% of retail!

So, anyone coming down soon? :)

Pompano - 1-26-2014 at 09:54 AM

I'm slowly on my way and could certainly bring it south...but can't promise any particular dates right now, so I won't raise your hopes.

Perhaps putting a 'wanted' ad in Craigslist Baja Sur...or other Baja publications in the area? Slim chance, I know. Good luck...I know what it's like to be without a favorite fishing rod.

chavycha - 1-26-2014 at 10:26 AM

Dropped you a u2u. Maybe we can coordinate something. I placed a want in CL Baja, no luck yet. This isn't exactly a dire circumstance but if anyone will understand, it's the fishing crowd! :)

chavycha - 1-26-2014 at 10:28 AM

I did get a nice corbina yesterday and a few yellowing croaker the day before on the 8wt, so I can indeed keep myself amused if reinforcements don't arrive.

Fly gear is everywhere

durrelllrobert - 1-26-2014 at 10:44 AM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL-ezWn2R2E‎

chavycha - 1-26-2014 at 11:05 AM

Whoa. That link is NSFW! ;)