BajaNomad

First big swell of the year in Asuncion

shari - 1-23-2014 at 08:13 AM

I always LOVE a big swell out here at the point...the rumbling...curling...breaking waves on the rocks and wooooosh of the blowhole. It is breathtakingly beautiful and dramatic...infusing energy into the air.

Motoged and I enjoyed the morning rainbows from his suite

and here is Motoged packed up and ready to head north...the perfect end to his baja ride...sad to bid him adieu after a wonderful visit.

fishing has been postponed due to big swell....surfing ON!

Ateo - 1-23-2014 at 08:34 AM

Nice shirt Ged. There's an even bigger swell heading your way now.

mcfez - 1-23-2014 at 08:52 AM

Excellent photo...anyone see the rainbow? Wow!

dtbushpilot - 1-23-2014 at 09:19 AM

Have a safe ride north Ged, the swell looks swell Shari, thanks for sharing...

Barbareno - 1-23-2014 at 09:34 AM

Great meeting you Ged. Wish we could of spent more time with you. Love the t-shirt.

BajaBlanca - 1-23-2014 at 09:42 AM

the swell is so loud I actually dreamed about a tsunami ..... it wasn't a nightmare as it all happened so calmly but boy, the ocean is LOUD.

beautiful rainbow in the splash!

have a safe ride home, Ged!

Skipjack Joe - 1-23-2014 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

I always LOVE a big swell out here at the point...the rumbling...curling...breaking waves on the rocks and wooooosh of the blowhole. It is breathtakingly beautiful and dramatic...infusing energy into the air.

Shari with more energy? That's hard to imagine. Almost scary.

Alex snorkled in that cove when you were gone. Lots of garibaldi. We were nervous negotiating around your german shephard at first but he never lifted his head.

[Edited on 1-23-2014 by Skipjack Joe]

Now this is a really bigga swell

durrelllrobert - 1-23-2014 at 11:04 AM

www.cnn.com/2014/01/21/us/hawaii-weather-big-waves/

(CNN) -- The biggest waves in a decade are forecast to be rolling toward Hawaii this week, but many surfers are set to miss out on the chance to ride them.

The National Weather Service in Hawaii said it expects waves 40-to-50-feet high to hit the north shore of Oahu on Wednesday, driven by "a giant northwest swell."

Hawaii hasn't experienced waves that large since 2004, said Sam Houston, a forecaster with the weather service.

A high-surf warning is in effect for much of the state until Friday morning and forecasters say "giant breaking surf," dangerous currents and significant "coastal inundation" are possible.

But the organizers have postponed the event. They say that although the waves are expected to be pleasingly large, the wind conditions are no good.

"We have taken all the time we can to assess the developments of the next big swell and it does not look favorable for us," said event organizer Glen Moncata. "The size is there, but the quality is not, due to strong, adverse winds."

Organizers of the big wave event said they will keep waiting until the end of February for "just one day of quality surf" when wave face heights reach around 40 feet.

The contest is held in honor of Eddie Aikau, a famous Oahu lifeguard who was regarded as one of the best big wave surfers of the 1960s and '70s. Aikau disappeared in 1978 during a canoe expedition from Hawaii to Tahiti.

The event -- the Quiksilver In Memory of Eddie Aikau big wave invitational -- isn't an annual occurrence. It has taken place eight times, starting in 1984. It was last held in December 2009 when Greg Long of California claimed victory.

ElCap - 1-23-2014 at 12:53 PM

Those waves will hit Mavericks tomorrow, and conditions are forecast to be very good - the contest is ON. And all of California and down into Baja too. Everybody will get something.

woody with a view - 1-23-2014 at 02:09 PM

best swell of the year, and everyone is waiting for it as it's been a rather poor surf season...

motoged - 1-23-2014 at 06:53 PM

Shari,
Five days hanging in BA was a real treat....meeting good people, enjoying truly the best shrimp and fish tacos of my entire 5 weeks down here...some good rides....and to have the Pacific swell up just because I was leaving....brings a tear to my eye ;D

I miss it already... :(

shari - 1-26-2014 at 12:47 PM

The swell just keeps on keepin on here...yesterday the local surfers were out in numbers beside our place...here is a little video of yesterday's action.

Pompano - 1-26-2014 at 01:00 PM

That sure looks like the great fun I saw the last time in Asuncion.

Here's some other surfing news on...THE BIG ONE!

A surfer may have set the world record for the largest wave ever surfed after riding an estimated 100ft wave off the coast of Portugal

Brazilian Carlos Burle took on the monster wave - created by the St Jude storm - at Praia do Norte, near the fishing village of Nazare. Estimated at nearly 100ft, it is believed to be the biggest wave ever ridden.

Gulp!

100ft wave hits Portugal coast.jpg - 26kB

vgabndo - 1-26-2014 at 02:36 PM

I could just hear the surf over the shutters clicking. Here's my best from last night.:lol::lol:

Hook - 1-26-2014 at 02:41 PM

How did he paddle out to catch that? Is that the wake of a jet ski in the wave behind him?

Barry A. - 1-26-2014 at 02:51 PM

Outstanding video and music, Shari. Many thanks. Was that Christy McVie???

Barry

monoloco - 1-26-2014 at 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Outstanding video and music, Shari. Many thanks. Was that Christy McVie???

Barry
I'll second that. Nice work on the photo album and great choice of music! It fits perfectly.

Udo - 1-26-2014 at 03:06 PM

Twiggy, from RSA won the contest yesterday. The waves were real monsters!
The average were 30 feet, but many were in the 40'+ range. Most riders rode 11'-12' boards with a wider nose, and had 4 skegs. They also modified them by adding extra fiberglass to make them heavier.

Quote:
Originally posted by ElCap
Those waves will hit Mavericks tomorrow, and conditions are forecast to be very good - the contest is ON. And all of California and down into Baja too. Everybody will get something.

chippy - 1-26-2014 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
15 to 18 ft with an ocassional 20 ft set. Great contest. Not big Mavs but it got it done.

Twiggy, from RSA won the contest yesterday. The waves were real monsters!
The average were 30 feet, but many were in the 40'+ range. Most riders rode 11'-12' boards with a wider nose, and had 4 skegs. They also modified them by adding extra fiberglass to make

Quote:
Originally posted by ElCap
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

[Edited on 1-26-2014 by chippy]

shari - 1-26-2014 at 03:57 PM

thanks mono & Barry...it's always a challenge to choose music for a video...yes christie it is...problem with big waves is I never get any work done...I keep running outside when I hear a deep rumbling...today is big too but windy and partly cloudy.