BajaNomad

Racing Spectator Safety

LancairDriver - 1-24-2014 at 12:55 PM

Racing safety has come a long way, for drivers as well as spectators. ( With the possible exception of Baja racing spectators. ):o

http://vimeo.com/20247765

willardguy - 1-24-2014 at 01:05 PM

holy chit, unbelievable! now those guys were tough! :o (we'll go with "tough" eh?)

Barry A. - 1-24-2014 at 01:16 PM

Well, that made a believer out of me----------Darwinism in action-----------and the Diety has nothing to do with THAT.

--- I almost never attend races for that very reason-----I don't want to see any of that happen!!! :O :(

Barry

David K - 1-24-2014 at 02:55 PM

Just how long did it take for safety belts and roll cages to get added??? LOL

Udo - 1-24-2014 at 03:22 PM

Those were some tough drivers!

I wonder how many of the drivers who rolled their cars as well as caught fire, lived?

I can not imagine racing in a vehicle and having nothing but a leather helmet on!

"This is a Cruel Sport"

MrBillM - 1-24-2014 at 04:22 PM

Said by Dan Gurney (matter of factly) after crashing and killing a spectator in the 1960 Dutch Grand Prix.

16 of less than 60 Grand Prix drivers participating were killed in the seasons 1957-1961 alone.

Which the competitors accepted mostly with a shrug. Just the way it was.

In the biography of the first American World Champion, Phil Hill, it was noted that most drivers found the whole discussion of mortality Boring and didn't understand the public and media obsession with it.

But, in the end, it was losing the Drivers that killed Real Road-Racing. Fans tired of losing their Idols.

The loss of spectators over the years generated little interest.

Off Road Rcing in Baja

J.P. - 1-24-2014 at 05:48 PM

Just a private observation , I think the time is drawing to a climax the Off road Racing event and the Baja are rapidly out growing each other.

willardguy - 1-24-2014 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Just a private observation , I think the time is drawing to a climax the Off road Racing event and the Baja are rapidly out growing each other.
I think you're right, it was a heck of a ride though!:yes:

Ateo - 1-24-2014 at 07:42 PM

Frigging insane. Nice music. I'm gonna share that video other places. Thanks.

Speaking Of .............

MrBillM - 1-24-2014 at 09:08 PM

For those who missed it in the theater:

Tuesday, 28 Jan.

The release of "RUSH" to DVD.