BajaNomad

All American Direct To Discontinue (Distant) Local Networks Service

BCSTech - 1-28-2014 at 01:38 PM

If you have been receiving the "Big Four" local networks (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox) from San Francisco or New York through your Dish Network receiver using a separate account with a different address than your Dish Network account, please note that All American Direct, the company supplying these networks, has announced they will discontinue operations effective February 25th. From their web site:

Quote:

All American Direct will cease operations on February 25th 2014 at 11:59 pm. At that time our services will no longer be available. All customers with time remaining on their service will receive a prorated refund by check or credit card. For further information please refer to the FAQ tab on this page.

More information about refunds and answers to other questions can be found here: http://www.mydistantnetworks.com/faq.

Networks

pacsur - 1-29-2014 at 06:22 AM

Could you advise on what will be the next easiest way to get the networks without using computer or VPN? I'm not concerned about them being tied to NY or SF.

measomsan - 1-29-2014 at 08:19 AM

that sucks

BCSTech - 1-30-2014 at 10:20 AM

Dish Network clients who already have a New York address registered with Dish Network receive the main NYC Networks (except for PBS and UHF channels) and are not affected. For other Dish Network clients who have a separate account through All American Direct to receive the SF and/or NY network channels, here are some possible alternatives:

1. Secure a new Dish Network "physical" account address somewhere in the New York City broadcast area. This would enable reception of the main NYC Network channels (except PBS and UHF channels) through Dish Network's main satellite in Standard Definition only.

2. Secure a new Dish Network physical account address somewhere in either the Lexington or Louisville, KY, Franklin or Harrisburg, PA, Jacksonville, FL, Cincinnati, OH, Little Rock, AR, Charleston, WV or Springfield, MO area, and add an 80CM meter or larger dish and a multi-dish switch to their current dish setup. This would enable reception of Network channels (including PBS) in High Definition from a third Dish Network satellite currently available in BCS (also requires an HD receiver and TV). This third satellite requires a clear view towards the southeast sky at about a 44° elevation.

3. Switch to a Shaw Direct system (from Canada). Shaw Direct Programming contains much of what's on Dish Network, but with many channels in High Definition including all the major Network channels and PBS from Seattle/Spokane and/or Buffalo/Detroit. Other channels in HD also available through this system (requires an HD TV). In some cases, the existing Dish TV antennas can be adapted (takes two non-Shaw dishes to receive both SD + HD channels from Shaw Direct).

4. If you have a good, solid Internet connection, you can try streaming programming through the Internet to your computer or smart TV. Go to www.ustvnow.com.

weebray - 1-30-2014 at 11:11 AM

Practically speaking ustvnow can only be streamed here at the lowest (read poor) settings. Also, if a program has even a modest number of people interested in that particular show, you will get a message that the access to that show is closed. There is a "pay" option to access more networks. We have not tried that option.

BCSTech - 2-1-2014 at 09:00 AM

One alternative to add: If you have an RV registered in your name, you may be able to get an RV waiver from Dish. This will allow you to pick up the NY locals in Standard Definition from the 119° main (CONUS) beam.

Good Riddance ?

MrBillM - 2-1-2014 at 12:27 PM

I cancelled the Distant Networks years ago and, even though I have the L.A. channels as part of my local package, I haven't watched more than a VERY few hours total (news only) on those in the last Five years or so. Only when there's a local event (fire, etc).

BCSTech - 2-1-2014 at 12:59 PM

For some people, ALL they watch are the Local Networks. Can't relate.

Cisco - 2-1-2014 at 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by weebray
Practically speaking ustvnow can only be streamed here at the lowest (read poor) settings. Also, if a program has even a modest number of people interested in that particular show, you will get a message that the access to that show is closed. There is a "pay" option to access more networks. We have not tried that option.

"Did you hear about the recent federal appeals court ruling that shot down the terribly-named "net neutrality?" Most people probably didn't notice the news and aren't quite sure what net neutrality actually means anyway. Before the court ruling, Internet service providers had to treat all content going through their pipes equally, just like conversations are treated going through a phone line. That is "net neutrality." After the ruling, if you're a big company with some bucks, you can pay Verizon, Comcast or a similar ISP to speed your data along faster. For the right price, your data can jump ahead in line. ISPs will also be allowed to block content they find objectionable, though they swear they would never ever do that, of course. Doesn't sound like that big of a deal, right? Imagine, though, two or more "Internets," one that zips along the latest Netflix movie and another Internet that creeps along, delivering boring old educational material to public libraries. The Internet will be as fast as you can pay, which seems like a sure way to kill Al Gore's best invention ever. "

There is an animation that goes with this at:

http://www.truthdig.com/cartoon/item/goodbye_net_neutrality_...

Tossing Net Neutrality

MrBillM - 2-1-2014 at 10:35 PM

Will make for a BETTER market-based system.

Where you get what you pay for.

Including the consumer.

Why should those of us who are not heavy Bandwidth users subsidize those who are ?

Updated Information as of 02/20/14

BCSTech - 2-21-2014 at 06:28 PM

Here are the current options:

1. Do nothing. This may sort itself out by February 25. There is an unverified rumor that another company may step in to service AAD accounts. I must stress this is only a vague rumor with no specifics. It may just be the result of some wishful thinking that someone posted in a Forum somewhere (here?).
  2. Secure a new Dish Network "physical" account address somewhere just outside the New York City metropolitan area (Connecticut or Eastern New Jersey). This would enable reception of the main NYC Network channels (except PBS and UHF channels) through Dish Network in Standard Definition only. Because of an increased risk of an account audit, addresses within New York City itself are not recommended.
  3. If you have a single-dish system, you can repoint your current dish to a second Dish satellite at 77°West. It has many of the channels currently on the 119° satellite, plus local networks in HD (including PBS). You would then need to secure a new Dish Network physical account address somewhere within 80 miles of the Lexington or Louisville, KY, Franklin or Harrisburg, PA, Jacksonville, FL, Cincinnati, OH, Little Rock, AR, Charleston, WV or Springfield, MO metropolitan areas.
  4. Add a second dish pointed at the 77° satellite to your single-dish setup. You'll then need to move your account address to one of the metropolitan areas mentioned above.
  5. If you already have a two-dish system, you can repoint your 119 dish to 77°, or add a third dish for the 77°.
Important Receiver Note: Dish Network is no longer allowing us to activate or move standard-definition receivers into Eastern US account addresses. If you have an older standard-definition Dish Network receiver model (311, 322, 625 or olde), you will also need to upgrade to an HD receiver (211, 222, 612, 725 or Hopper/Joey system) to move your account to any Eastern Time Zone address. HD receivers will down-convert HD content to SD if you only have an SD TV. They'll also up-convert SD content to a simulated HD format if you have an HD TV.

Also, if you have Dish Network receivers at home in the US on the same account as your Baja receiver and you change your Dish Network account address to one of the areas mentioned above, you'll most likely lose your local area networks in the US (unless your US home is already in one of these areas).

[Edited on 2-22-2014 by BCSTech]

pacsur - 2-26-2014 at 11:25 AM

It seems that my San Franscisco networks are still working today, are there any updates concerning Dish?

tiotomasbcs - 2-26-2014 at 12:42 PM

Keep your fingers crossed!:bounce: Same over here in Pescadero. I received a nice personalized email from them expressing sorrow. Maybe we'll get a stay from the Governor. Tio

Udo - 2-26-2014 at 01:36 PM

Hi, Alan!

I have an RV account with Directv, and have two receivers connected with it. One in the living space and the other in the bedroom space.
I installed a DTV HD dish at my Bahia Asunción house, and I thought I had it aligned correctly via the GPS coordinates.
But when I bring my receiver from the bedroom (an HR24-500) and try to get a signal, I am unable to do so. The dish is is the large oval dish, and the LNB has a single "bulb" coming from it, but it has two coax outlets.
I spent 6 days, about 4 hours a day, trying to hone in to the signal. I have a meter that displays the signal strength and the meter shows about a 60% signal.
I am sure I am doing something wrong in the aiming at the dish.
I have aligned the dish in similar fashion as many Shaw subscribers have.
What is your feeling as to my need for a 2 meter dish, and change the LNB. One of my neighbors has a spare one that is two years old but wants $500 US for it.
One of my other neighbors has directv, but he's there only part time. He is going to help me with the set-up next month.
But if that does not work, what would you charge for a trip to BA for the dish alignment, and if necessary, what should I offer for the 2 meter dish?

Your answers would be very helpful, Alan!

Udo

pacsur - 2-26-2014 at 03:32 PM

Networks gone on mine, 3:30pm Los Cabos time.

Bill Collector - 2-26-2014 at 05:29 PM

If your address is New York you can receive the East Coast feeds starting on channel 2

tiotomasbcs - 2-27-2014 at 07:05 AM

Poof. Gone! Udo, I believe many have stated the fact that Directv moved its satellite a few years back and we lost its signal. Fortunately DishTv has the signals we need. LA feed on channel 233 KTLA is still sending it's signal. Good luck. Tio

Udo - 2-27-2014 at 02:10 PM

Thanks Tio!

However, DTV signals are being used in Ensenada as well as San Quintin.

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Poof. Gone! Udo, I believe many have stated the fact that Directv moved its satellite a few years back and we lost its signal. Fortunately DishTv has the signals we need. LA feed on channel 233 KTLA is still sending it's signal. Good luck. Tio

Udo - 2-27-2014 at 02:54 PM

The other option (I was told by a user) is to get an account with Shaw Direct.
But then I would have to have a Canadian address, two receivers, and two satellite dishes (one for std. def. channels, and one for HD channels).

Plus who knows what else!

bajalorena - 2-27-2014 at 06:02 PM

I just signed up today with Http://www.ustvnow.com
And I receive newtorks plus more. I have an ipad and apple tv, so I can stream it to my tv.

Hook - 2-27-2014 at 06:22 PM

Relax............It's OK TO NOT WATCH COMMERCIAL TV.

There's nothing worth watching, anyway.

Well, except baseball, of course. And movies.

You guys really should research internet delivered content. True a la carte offerings. You pay for Amazon Prime, you pay for Netflix.

And you pay for MLB, of course. :lol:

Then, you watch what you choose.

You dont pay for QVC, the Soap Opera Channel, the Ethiopian channel or the Red Neck channel.

All this hardware based TV is a dinosaur on life support. Research Roku.

And, for God sakes, Udo, turn that 2 meter dish into a palapa!!!

BCSTech - 3-13-2014 at 12:35 PM

An Update.

We've had good luck adding a small dish (60cm) to existing setups and pointing it at the 77° satellite. Then we move the account to a new Dish Network physical account address somewhere within 80 miles of one of the following metropolitan areas:

Lexington or Louisville, KY, Carbondale, IL, Franklin or Harrisburg, PA, Jacksonville, FL, Mt. Vernon, IL, Lima/Cincinnati, OH, Little Rock, AR, Charleston, WV, Cape Girardeau or Springfield, Mo.

This restores reception of regional Network channels (including PBS) in High Definition from the 77° satellite (also requires an HD receiver and TV).