BajaNomad

Ensenada - San Felipe - Mike's Sky Ranch

Pacifico - 1-29-2014 at 12:33 PM

We headed down for a quick 4 day offroad trip that started in Ensenada on the 23rd. We went down the toll road and took the detour. It wasn't bad at all and shouldn't keep anyone from heading south. We stayed at Horsepower Ranch outside of Ensenada for the night and took off in the morning for San Felipe.

Friday we stayed at El Cortez in San Felipe. Hardly anyone there at all and the town was dead. The place looks like a ghost town at times. The San Felipe folks must really be feeling it. We headed south out of town on Saturday and headed up Huatamote Wash. It was beautiful up there!

We got through the wash and then headed north up the west side of Valley Chico. That is a really fun road for you offroad folks reading this...We stopped at Rancho Santa Clara out in the middle of Diablo. If I remember right, the gentleman said he was 93! The only hiccup we had this day was that one of the cars had the wrong side up for a few minutes! Sorry....no pics were taken before it was rubber side down again.

We then headed up to Mike's Sky Ranch from the front side. The place was packed with motorcycles! Mike said they had 84 guests that night! I've never seen the place so full....

We headed back to Ensenada on Sunday and I lost my ability to shift. I was stuck in 4th gear, so I motored back to the ranch on the highway and met everyone else back there a few hours later. Some people headed back on Sunday via San Ysidro crossing (5 hour wait) and some went back on Monday. I went through Tecate on Monday morning and had a 1 hour wait. This was surprising because the line was really long! It went faster than I expected....
Now, I have some wrenching to do!

[Edited on 1-29-2014 by BajaNomad]

David K - 1-29-2014 at 01:09 PM

Great trip... looks like some fun prerunners.

Photos gigantic (1280 pixels)...

TMW - 1-29-2014 at 01:16 PM

Some really good looking vehicles. Looks like a great time was had by all. There are several MC tour groups and I know of one side by side tour group out of Mexicali and they all have a night over at Mikes during the tours.

wessongroup - 1-29-2014 at 01:21 PM

Thanks for the trip .. :):) .... aaahhhh the VW .. :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 1-29-2014 by wessongroup]

BajaDQ - 1-29-2014 at 09:22 PM

Fun trip, and cool rides! I've always heard of the tienda on the edge of Diablo as 'Joses Tienda', never heard of it called Rancho Santa Clara. Learn something new every day............

Tacodawgtim - 1-30-2014 at 09:48 AM

I have a place in San Felipe and we always go out to Jose's, what you call Ranch Santa Clara. It's normally our first ride for the buggies. Always buy a cold beer or soda. Kind of like cocos....we normally take some canned food out to him as well. He's a great guy. Never know who you might run into out there great place to go before the 250. Sometimes guys out pre running stop in there. Not to mention its a great area to let the buggies go....
Great to see Mikes busy.

David K - 1-30-2014 at 09:56 AM

Thanks for fixing the photos (Doug?)!

See Rancho Santa Clara on the left side of the map...

Pacifico - 1-30-2014 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDQ
Fun trip, and cool rides! I've always heard of the tienda on the edge of Diablo as 'Joses Tienda', never heard of it called Rancho Santa Clara. Learn something new every day............

I could be wrong on the name....

I just noticed Santa Clara written on the wall there and it was about where we were on the map I'm guessing. Sounds like it goes by "Jose's"! Jose's it is in the future!

BajaGeoff - 1-30-2014 at 10:03 AM

Great report and nice pics Pacifico. Looks like a great trip!

Pacifico - 1-30-2014 at 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

I don't know why the photos were so huge? I linked them to Smugmug like I always do when posting pics....

Thanks for the fix!

David K - 1-30-2014 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

I don't know why the photos were so huge? I linked them to Smugmug like I always do when posting pics....

Thanks for the fix!

Just check the upload options size setting. Perhaps it went back to the standard size like Photobucket has done to some here?

800 pixels is a full size photo on this web page (Nomad). Any bigger just distorts the page and require scrolling to the right to read/ see the posts (on standard monitors, without reducing).

Thank you for the trip report and photos, no matter what size the photos!

PaulW - 1-31-2014 at 09:55 AM

Minor clarification:
The place they stopped at is Jose's and is shown on the maps as "el Osais". I am glad Jose was present as sometimes he goes to town".
Valle Santa Clara" is shown on the Almanc and INEGI as the area east of L Diablo (la Salada) and for sure that whole area is "Valle Santa Clara". Nothing wrong with the map pic David K posted as the general area is all "Valle Santa Clara" and it includes Jose's and the whole Diablo lake bed.

The rancho west of the lake bed has the same name, Santa Clara, and is identified by the road to the entrance to Diablo/Diablito canyons. It is south and west of Jose's place and when the lake bed is dry you can find a track across pretty much directly.
PaulW

David K - 1-31-2014 at 10:00 AM

Thanks Paul... If I recall, isn't El Oasis on the east side of the lakebed (and Santa Clara obviously on the opposite side)? We did not stop while motoring on the lake between Valle Chico and Hwy. 3... and it was like 9 years ago.

Ateo - 1-31-2014 at 10:10 AM

Looks like a sweet trip Pacifico! Thanks for posting.

Udo - 1-31-2014 at 10:12 AM

Great report, Pacifico.

Looks like this run will in our future with the FJ.