BajaNomad

grilling mex chickens

aguachico - 2-1-2014 at 10:29 AM

This year's new taxes in baja and the doubling of my health insurance has me cutting costs.

One pleasure we have is Friday night chickens from Pipila. Two chickens, all the fixings and soda por los chicos was 180 pesos. Now it's 230. The birds have a lot a flavor, but no a lot of meat.

I now have to look at cooking these birds at home. Since I always have a a 40K bag of sonoran carbon and a grill why not.

So what kind of chicken do they butterfly in Mexico to create these succulent little wonders?

Any marinade tips appreciated.

gracias

[Edited on 2-1-2014 by aguachico]

desertcpl - 2-1-2014 at 11:01 AM

the best by far grilled chicken in MX

I was traveling thru a very small town in mainland MX

stopped at a small road side restaurant

small range fed,, they was marinated in citrus juice

orange, limes then butterflied and cooked over mesquite

it was to die for

Udo - 2-1-2014 at 11:44 AM

I do not know which Mariano Matamoros city you live in. There is one near TJ, and one in the Mainland.

But whole chickens are hard to come by in Baja.

I know that Walmart carries them in Baja.

Regardless of how skinny they are, or how plump, the most flavorful and juicy chicken you can easily cook is in your own oven:

Try to find a 1-1/2 to 2 kilo chicken
Make a butter flavoring with two stick of melted butter and two tablespoons of Italian seasoning.
Blend the two parts and pour into the chicken area between the skin and flesh. Use your hands to separate the skin very gently, or it will tear.
Make sure the outside skin is dry, or use a hair dryer to blow dry the skin ( I do the same thing with Peking Duck).
Webber sells a chicken stand, and if you can find one, put the chicken butt-side down. Add some thyme sprigs, oregano sprigs, rosemary sprigs, two bay leaves and two wedges of lemons though the neck cavity (or insert from the bottom before placing on the chicken stand). Without the chicken stand, put the chicken on a beer can and stand it up on a pie dish.
Add 1/2 of rough chopped onion
1 rough chop celery stick
2 rough cut carrots
Then add about a 1/2 can of beer to the veg. You can do some experimenting liberty here, and add any other liquid you wish, including tequila.

Now for the big secret:

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees (use an oven thermometer...the temperature is critical). Move the oven rack so the chicken fits in there standing up.
Bake the chicken for 45 minutes. Check at 25-30 minutes...if the skin is getting a little too brown, use a small tent of tin foil on the chicken.

When you remove the chicken in 45 minutes, cover the chicken completely in the tin foil and let it rest for 8-10 minutes.

In writing, this recipe sounds more complicated than it is. Your chicken prep time is about 15 minutes.

Guaranteed juicy and crispy skin.
This will feed four.

Just remember 45 minutes at 450 degrees!

CP - 2-1-2014 at 12:33 PM

Maybe ask Pipila what kind of chickens they use or where they get them? Not a strange question to ask.

This is my favorite grilled chicken recipe -
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/08/grilling-mexican-...

DavidE - 2-1-2014 at 02:16 PM

I miss my own pollo. The flavor difference is astonishing. Like comparing home baked bread to BIMBO. Pollo al carbon estilo Sinaloense found in those roadside shacks frequently use ranch pollo and cook them over wood rather than carbón.

Bachoco chicken is rather like one of those skinny steers standing in the middle of the road, or Acme commercial food service mayonnaise. You don't stand a chance no matter how much you screw with them.

Hook - 2-1-2014 at 02:34 PM

The biggest name in chicken in our neck of Mexico is Bachoco. Whole chickens go on sale, pretty regularly, for around 20 pesos/kilo. When that happens, we go and search out the largest ones from the store and stock up. Yes, Mexican chickens can be very small, so it pays to search through them. Found one this week that was OVER two kilos! Chicken is very fresh over here as we have a lot of chicken farms in Sonora.

My favorite grilling recipe is any version of the El Pollo Loco marinade recipe (do a search) and I add a dusting of any of the Sinaloa dry chicken seasonings they sell over here. The dusting gives the EPL marinade a bit of heat. I like the combo of citric fruitiness and chili powder/garlic powder heat with some saltiness in the mix. I cook this indirectly over mesquite in a Char-griller BBQ.

vgabndo - 2-1-2014 at 04:11 PM

I've often had success asking for pollo entero con hielado (sp) frozen whole birds. They are usually rock hard, and Mexican style, come complete with the feet. I've bought them from the big market in Guerrero Negro, at Saul's in Mulege, and at the Pescador in Loreto. Seldom on display.

I par boil Mexican chicken before the BBQ. I want at least 160 degree internal temp for a bit, to account for any bacteria that doesn't get killed by the irregular heat , and possible rare spots from grilling.

[Edited on 2-1-2014 by vgabndo]

chuckie - 2-1-2014 at 05:50 PM

In a Pinch, the grey pelican can be substituted for Chicken.tastes awful, hard to clean...aaaaaw Forget it :smug:

Udo - 2-2-2014 at 09:26 AM

One can also use the beak as a skewer, when using an open pit BBQ.

aguachico - 2-2-2014 at 10:14 AM

Thanks for the info folks. Looks like a fryer chicken is the bird of choice for butterflying and grilling. Found this link and how to for cutting the bird.

http://video.about.com/bbq/How-to-Butterfly-a-Chicken.htm

One of my favorite grilled chicken marinades is an achiote paste spice block blended with garlic, olive oil and orange juice. I never realized how fatty chicken is until I purchased a 20K block from El Florido.

suerte y saludos

bkbend - 2-2-2014 at 10:17 AM

I kind of enjoy the flavor of the Mexican chicken (tastes like chicken!) and usually just grill over carbon with salt and pepper. No enhancements needed.

David K - 2-2-2014 at 10:18 AM

Udo, that sounds marvelous! :bounce:

Udo - 2-2-2014 at 11:08 AM

Thanks, David!

baja chickens

captkw - 2-2-2014 at 01:33 PM

almost anywhere in Baja you will find chicken leg w/thigh (peiarna) and they are from the states btw ...de skin and cut in half soak in terrakki and red chli peppers for at least 5 hrs and then bbg.....omg "Sabor"" try it your like it...Saterday I bbg'd fresh salmon from BC....mmm good !!!

gnukid - 2-2-2014 at 02:57 PM

Iron pot on the grill works best