BajaNomad

Two Buddies Overheard . . .

bajacalifornian - 2-1-2014 at 05:03 PM

The guy from New Orleans is asking, "So how'dit turn out J.P., raising your boys in Baja . . . you know, school and that"?

J.P. - "Well, this morning Mario stopped by. He calls me Tio. He's a

buddy of the boys since ninety-two. Right now Mario is

working on the street just around the corner, and stopped by for

water. He's earning money for a plane ticket to Colima.

He wants to join my sons and others for a university graduation ceremony there.

The guy graduating is the same kid Zane (one son) came home in the early days here, to say he'd met a best friend that day.

(Best friend's father is known to Nomads as Juan Carlos, owner and chef at Mita Gourmet in the town square of Loreto.)

Zane's buddy, the graduating Alex, will next be in Panama continuing another internship. He'll be a chef, same as his dad.

Early days of life in Loreto, my sons asked permission to attend something one evening. My wife gave a time to be home.

That time was before the party was to start!

In time, ten or twelve of 'em would sing Las Mananitas to each others mother soon after midnight on the eve of Mothers Day. Get up and come back home to bed whenever they were done.

I remember one day visiting with tourists from Japan on the dock in Lopez. The two gentlemen were curious of my presence, there in Lopez. Expression on one of their faces, in particular, was shock! . . . this American was educating his sons in a fishing village in the Baja.

Smitty, Brad's (other son) doing honors classes in San Diego, right now. The best thing I could have done for them, was move them to this culture".

BornFisher - 2-1-2014 at 10:52 PM

Nothing like strong Baja families and extended families. Congrats Jeff and Sonia and boys!!