BajaNomad

Thoughts on Outriggers?

Alan - 2-4-2014 at 08:48 AM

I have had varying degrees of success with outriggers in the past but before I add a set to my new boat I was curious about other's experience using them before I decide if they are worth the expense (about $600)

Lengua - 2-4-2014 at 11:21 AM

Alan , when I talk to the guys at Baja Pirates they don't think its necessary. I spoke to Luis about this very thing last summer and he thought it was an unnecessary expense for boats in our size range.

Pompano - 2-4-2014 at 11:32 AM

I used outriggers on my 30ft cruiser for a few years, but found I did not need them in the Sea of Cortez. Simpler life after removing them.

Pacific side...On a 52ft offshore commercial albacore troller, we needed them.

p.s. Planing boards like we use Up North for big pike and lake trout might be less cumbersome. Gets your line away from the boat like the outriggers, but less money and more effective.

But...anyone can troll 3 lines without any hassle from a small boat...aft, port, and starboard....so why clutter up the boat with any more stuff.

[Edited on 2-4-2014 by Pompano]

willardguy - 2-4-2014 at 11:34 AM

a couple flat lines sure are easier!

chuckie - 2-4-2014 at 11:45 AM

More trouble than they are worth...

monoloco - 2-4-2014 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
a couple flat lines sure are easier!
Often I'll run a couple of tuna clones on flat lines about 15' off the transom, it's amazing how many times those are the most productive lures.

chippy - 2-4-2014 at 04:35 PM

I get most of my fish on the outriggers. Its the height that keeps the line and most the leader out of the water leaving just the lure for the fish to see. 600 bucks should get you set up.

dtbushpilot - 2-4-2014 at 05:21 PM

I usually use mine on my 26' boat when I'm trolling, I don't have any negative issues with them.

Alan - 2-5-2014 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lengua
Alan , when I talk to the guys at Baja Pirates they don't think its necessary. I spoke to Luis about this very thing last summer and he thought it was an unnecessary expense for boats in our size range.
Yet every one of their boats have them :lol:

DawnPatrol - 2-5-2014 at 09:34 AM

When I go Tuna fishing I don't use mine. Billfishing, well I feel they are a tremendous asset, even though getting used to setting them out, taking them in, etc. takes a little getting used to.

Its nice to have friends/fishing partners who are comfortable setting them while you run the boat (unless you have auto-pilot of course)

IMO I think they are worth the trouble

Caught the biggest Striper out of San Diego on my 25' Parker a couple years back with them (198#)

Lengua - 2-5-2014 at 11:09 AM

I know they have them but they are seldom used by the captains.I told Luis and his brother I wanted to get some outriggers and they said why?

However , it sounds like some guys on this forum have had good success.

arrive March 22-will be staying at Costa Baja . see you on the Bajo.

Lengua - 2-5-2014 at 11:09 AM

I know they have them but they are seldom used by the captains.I told Luis and his brother I wanted to get some outriggers and they said why?

However , it sounds like some guys on this forum have had good success.

arrive March 22-will be staying at Costa Baja . see you on the Bajo.

Alan - 2-5-2014 at 11:19 AM

I'm headed down on the 1st. U2U when you get into town and we can buddy-boat. I've had some reports that the YT were starting to show but it doesn't look like it will be a year like the last two. At least not at this point.