BajaNomad

Carrying camping/fishing/hiking etc. gear (speaking of roof racks)

Whale-ista - 2-4-2014 at 12:52 PM

Any opinions re:small rack over ext cab/in front of tall camper? Anyone else do this?

After the last Baja trip I'm thinking it would be good to have a small rack over the ext. cab, plus add a wind fairing, in front of my small camper shell, to see if this would help reduce a bit of the wind resistance from shell, and give me a place to carry/store items I don't want inside the camper or cab (eg, gas cans)

I prefer this vs. a full rack over shell since it would be easier for me to reach vs. up on the 7' tall Callen camper, tho the thing is built like a tank and I've been told others walk around on theirs with no worries.

I walk outside to take some photos for this question, and measure dimensions for a Yakima setup, similar to what I've used on my previous truck w/Leer shell (sadly, I sold the rack system w/truck). Just as I lift the camera (I'm not kidding) a Toyota with an almost identical setup drives by: fiberglass camper shell (but cab high, not like my taller metal-shell Callen) with Yakima racks over the cab, the "BasketCase" carrier, turned sideways, and some Hella lights.

I'm so stunned by its unexpected appearance I don't think to take a pic, darn it. I consider running after it, to ask the owner some questions, but it's already heading down the street... So... I guess my basic question is answered: yes, others use this setup.

Now: anyone want to weigh in on the wind fairing factor: does it help reduce noise/drag? And what about weight over the extended cab? Should it ideally be more to the rear?

It would be nice to put lighter items, possibly gas can (20 liters, so 45 lbs?) and dirty/smelly stuff up there for the drive until I get an extended bumper and/or fuel can holders on rear. Also to lock items on the roof when out on the water or away from the site. It would at might slow some shorter thieves down...

My truck/shell combo is small, and I want to keep weigh down; I often travel solo and prefer small/simple. No extreme offroad/rock crawling; mostly lots of highway then dirt at the end, to get to spots in Baja and set up camp for days at a time while kayaking, whale watching, etc.

So- anyone else using a similar setup?

Still can't believe that rig that drove by...

Neal Johns - 2-4-2014 at 01:08 PM

The fairing should help in front of a Callen camper. Don't put a gas can up there, get one that does not leak odors and put it inside - too heavy, too high for quick emergency lane changes. GI type leak a little. Put light stuff up there.
Neal

Whale-ista - 2-4-2014 at 01:18 PM

thanks Neal! I'll probably store the fuel up there while in camp, not while driving.