BajaNomad

Calling Home

GATO - 2-6-2014 at 08:38 AM

I don't own a cell phone, what is the easiest and cheapest way to call the U.S. from Baja?

Don't need a lot of minutes, will only be making 5 or 6 calls during my 10 day trip.

Thanks!

Lengua - 2-6-2014 at 08:42 AM

If you have a computer try Skype or if an I pad you can Facetime to another user that has an Iphone or I pad. Both take wi fi/ hardline internet access

Ateo - 2-6-2014 at 08:42 AM

Find a "Larga Distancia" phone business.

Are they still around?

Or an internet cafe and use Skype.

GATO - 2-6-2014 at 08:45 AM

I won't have a laptop either, forgot to mention that.

Years ago I remember going to a "call house" (can't remember the actual name) found in larger cities to make long distance calls, can't remember what it cost me.

Not sure if they still exist.

MitchMan - 2-6-2014 at 08:52 AM

If you have a US cell phone, your carrier might have a reasonable deal for one month.

If you have a laptop capable of wireless transmission, and you will be near a friend's wireless router or at public places where you wifi available to you, consider using Skype on your laptop. If you are calling a USA person who has wifi and a PC, you can both set up Skype accounts and call each other using your respective computers while both of you are running Skype and you can then talk for free.

Also, if your USA counterparts don't have Skype, you can place calls using Skype from Baja (while using your wifi connection) to your USA friends and family to their land phones or cell phones for a very reasonable per minute charge with a modest monthly subscription plan. Check it out.

tripledigitken - 2-6-2014 at 08:53 AM

You can buy a cheap Mex cell phone for less than $40. Telcel stores are in most cities in Baja to purchase phone and get additional minutes. We have had one for years just for our trips south.

DENNIS - 2-6-2014 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Find a "Larga Distancia" phone business.

Are they still around?

I saw one in town just the other day....maybe the only one left.

Udo - 2-6-2014 at 09:18 AM

Ken has the best idea.
Can't beat the deal for 300 pesos for the phone. To make a US phone call just dial 001 plus the number.
*333 gives you the pesos left.
If you are not good on Spanish, go to the user settings (the graphic with the wrench) and change the language setting to English.
The pesos you use are good for 60 days. Before the 60 days is up, go to a Telcel store and put in another 20 pesos. You'll have to put in 20+ pesos every 60 days or the phone will be deactivated, which then you'll have to go to a Telcel store and reactivate it.

This is the cheapest way you'll be able to make phone calls from Baja.

GATO - 2-6-2014 at 09:32 AM

Thanks for all the info.

Since I go to Baja once ever 2 years is there an affordable way other than buying a Mex cell? Remember I won't have a laptop.

What about call centers or pay phones (with a calling card)?

Cancamo - 2-6-2014 at 09:36 AM

Buy a Temex card at any OXXO, or corner grocery store, 30, 50, 100 pesos each, plug into one of the public phones, (yes they still have them here in MX), dail 001- area code and number. By far the cheapest option calling on a limited basis.

paranewbi - 2-6-2014 at 09:36 AM

They still do have 'call centers' but if you need to call home once in a while go to any OXXO store (sort of like a 7-11 in US) and most have a booth or two for making calls. Just go to the cash register person and they will tell you which booth to use (if more than one) then when your done go back up and pay (receipt provided). Also, if you need a cab or tow or something like that the people at the counter in the OXXO have always been real helpful...most of the time they have a 'Yellow Pages' in the larger cities OXXO or will call their relative that has the talents to get done what you need ":)

monoloco - 2-6-2014 at 09:39 AM

If you don't have a smart phone, buy an iPod touch and download a phone app like Talkatone, Skype, Magic Jack, etc. You will be able to make free calls from anywhere there's wifi.

GATO - 2-6-2014 at 09:39 AM

Cancamo,

Sounds like a plan! I was just going to call home every few days to check in so I wasn't looking for 24/7 coverage.

By chance do you know the cost/minute? Probably varies on the time and day.

Thanks!

GATO - 2-6-2014 at 09:42 AM

Cancamo,

I assuming the OXXO stores are located in the big cities. What about towns like Guerro Negro, San Ignacio, Loreto, etc.

Do you think they will be located next to the gas stations?

DavidE - 2-6-2014 at 10:42 AM

If your total time in a caseta de larga distancia exceeds an hour, you're going to wish you had bought a cell phone. The last caseta I used charged me the eqvt of seventy two cents per minute a quien contesta al EE.UU.

sancho - 2-6-2014 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cancamo
Buy a Temex card at any OXXO, or corner grocery store, 30, 50, 100 pesos each, plug into one of the public phones

This is the way I would do it, can't remember the cost per min., but is is reasonable, what ever you do, aviod ph's that advertise
on them use your US Cre3dit Card to call the US

mcnut - 2-6-2014 at 01:53 PM

I bought an AT&T GoPhone from Amazon, $13 delivered (I have Prime) and went to my local At&T store to have them activate it and load it with $25.

I think it's $0.15/min in the US and $0.30/min in Mexico and coverage is great.

Bruce

55steve - 2-6-2014 at 01:57 PM

OXXO stores are the Mexican equivalent of a 7-11 and are all over the the place in Baja Norte - not sure about Sur.

Quote:
Originally posted by GATO
Cancamo,

I assuming the OXXO stores are located in the big cities. What about towns like Guerro Negro, San Ignacio, Loreto, etc.

Do you think they will be located next to the gas stations?

[Edited on 2-6-2014 by 55steve]

BajaBlanca - 2-6-2014 at 02:04 PM

Gato, welcome !

If you are going to bigger towns, the public phone is an option, but I had trouble using it a couple times in .Ensenada. It was very frustrating. Some phones didn't work.

In the small villages, there are NO public phones. So that would not be an option.

Have a fun trip.

apple - 2-6-2014 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GATO
Since I go to Baja once ever 2 years is there an affordable way other than buying a Mex cell? Remember I won't have a laptop.

Mexican cellphones are VERY affordable. MY local Oxxo sells a Nokia 100 for something like 300 pesos and it comes with time already on it. Run out of airtime? Just add some time at the next Oxxo. When you come back 2 years or whatever from now, buy a new SIM card, add some money and you're good to go.
Bonus is that you have a cell and friends in the US can reach you if needed, or you can call for help if you need it.
It seems a bit silly NOT to have a cell down here...

dasubergeek - 2-6-2014 at 03:28 PM

Same. You can buy a Nokia 100 for 301 pesos in any Sanborns (big cities like Tijuana or Mexicali). Comes with 300 pesos of credit, and the people at Sanborns Revolución in Tijuana are so used to Americans buying them that they'll set up the phone for you in English and make the activation call for you. Even if you never use it again, at $23 it's cheaper than almost any other option. You'll get about 150 minutes of calling to the U.S. out of that and to load it, all you do is take it to any grocery store, Oxxo, 7-Eleven, Ley, abarrotes, etc., and give them your phone number.

GATO - 2-9-2014 at 01:13 PM

Thanks all for the great info!