BajaNomad

THE GREEN/RED LIGHT THAT ONE GETS @ SAN YSIDRO

Udo - 2-7-2014 at 11:09 AM

Earlier this week I had to make a run to TJ on business. I had a little time to wait at the "DECLARE" fence.

After a half hour of looking at the red/green lights as one crosses into Mexico, I have come to the conclusion that the lights are not random any more.
What are the odds of four red lights in a row?
If your vehicle "looked" like a profiled vehicle, the vehicle received a red light.

I am sure that in one of the upper buildings, there is someone behind some blacked-out window that is watching the traffic as it approaches the crossing.

In Otay, however, it appears that it is still random, but there is such a narrow one lane entry that even with a green light, if the border agent sees that there may be "something" in your vehicle, they will flag you over.
It appear that Tecate is using the same tactic also, as they are narrowing the entry lane to just one, so one HAS to drive by an inspector.

May as well just drop by the declare lane and hand them a list of what you are bringing don!

DianaT - 2-7-2014 at 11:13 AM

We have received the green light at both Tijuana and Tecate and we were still waived into secondary. Fortunately, it was never for anything other than a quick look.

I didn't look the last few times we were down there, but is there still a guy sitting in a chair like there was at the old crossing?

Ateo - 2-7-2014 at 11:15 AM

Interesting.

I'd say I've been pulled into Mexican Secondary almost every time I've crossed since they opened El Chap. I think once they waved me thru. I'm in a truck with surfboards and a shell so it's obvious they are profiling.

DavidE - 2-7-2014 at 11:21 AM

IMHO Udo the signals were never random and they will never be random in the future. ADUANA has profile standards for vehicles. Many years ago before the lights I owned a Cadillac. The rear air suspension have out around Oceanside and I crossed the border with the hind end sagging.

ZAP! I got secondaried. Had nothing but luggage and they UNZIPPED THE BAGS and went through everything - a 101% search of the car. Made me drive over an uncovered pit so they could inspect underneath the car.

With my '95 crapbox with hefty new overload springs, I now drive through the nothing to declare lane overloaded with LEGAL stuff and the Aduaneros don't even blink.

dpwahoo - 2-7-2014 at 11:22 AM

Yes, people sitting in chairs. And having a wife that insists on bringing down a full load everytime, I am constantly concerned about duty. The only time I have ever paid was when we were sent to otay with our initial hillbilly loads. We were waved in just wed. after going to san Diego for doctors, shopping, etc. Bought new b-Que and a credenza from costco strapped to the roof, a few short questions, and we were on our way. But at times, we were loaded to the roof in our rav-4, and never got pulled in. go figure!:O

Alan - 2-7-2014 at 11:35 AM

:lol: Last June I stopped to declare items I was bringing down. Went inside and paid the appropriate duty and picked up my FMM. Exited from there and got into line. Pulled up, showed the Aduana my Duty receipt, pushed a green light and was stilled pulled into secondary. Chill.... it's Baja and why we love her so.

Chair Patrol

bajaguy - 2-7-2014 at 01:12 PM

As you cross south into Mexico at San Ysidro and at Otay there are people sitting in chairs above the lanes before the gates...they can override the lights and will also radio your vehicle description to the guys on the ground.....so even if you get a green light, you may still be pulled over

Udo - 2-7-2014 at 01:19 PM

That was my point Terry.
I think that the only random lights are at the airport's aduana, and even then, I think they look at profiling. One of my friends in La Paz has gotten the red light EVERY time he gets to Cabo airport. What are those odds?

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
As you cross south into Mexico at San Ysidro and at Otay there are people sitting in chairs above the lanes before the gates...they can override the lights and will also radio your vehicle description to the guys on the ground.....so even if you get a green light, you may still be pulled over

woody with a view - 2-7-2014 at 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
That was my point Terry.
I think that the only random lights are at the airport's aduana, and even then, I think they look at profiling. One of my friends in La Paz has gotten the red light EVERY time he gets to Cabo airport. What are those odds?

Quote:

Udo, those odds are still 50-50. he's just a REALLY unlucky guy!

MMc - 2-7-2014 at 05:22 PM

I don't believe they have ever been random, There was always been a override button with somebody watching. MMc

MAYBE IF HE PEELED THOSE DECALS OFF...

DavidE - 2-7-2014 at 05:33 PM

Udo - 2-7-2014 at 05:44 PM

That is exactly what I do also, Willard.
I do the same when I catch a look at a cop in a known mordida town.

NOTE:
For whatever reason, this past Monday, February 3, I saw four cops on bikes and three cops in trucks, in Tecate.
I saw several Gringos pulled over by bike cops, but i was not singled out by any of the rest of them. Call it luck, if you wish, but my general strategy is to follow a local driver, and mimic whatever he/she does.

JAG - 2-7-2014 at 05:50 PM

All I can say is that every single time I crossed into MX with my new Toyota tacoma, I was getting the red light. Three weeks ago I bought a new cover for the bed of the truck and now have been never stopped.
I think they were stopping me because it was a New Tacoma ( High Theft Vehicle) and now I have the cover it looks more like a used vehicle.
Go figure, Who knows for sure how they pull vehicles over.

DENNIS - 2-7-2014 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
As you cross south into Mexico at San Ysidro and at Otay there are people sitting in chairs above the lanes before the gates...

They do that at the new crossing? I don't recall seeing them there.....just a bunch of personnel on the ground.

bajaguy - 2-7-2014 at 05:55 PM

Gots ta look up!!

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
As you cross south into Mexico at San Ysidro and at Otay there are people sitting in chairs above the lanes before the gates...

They do that at the new crossing? I don't recall seeing them there.....just a bunch of personnel on the ground.

Marc - 2-7-2014 at 06:56 PM

Only had one red light at SY years ago. just a few questions & no inspection. I had 25 gal of gas in the back. Whew!!

bajadock - 2-7-2014 at 07:12 PM

Subjectively, seems that larger vehicles like big SUVs and Vans are targeted at the new Tijuana crossing south, with vehicle inspections. That makes it tough, because most Baja enthusiasts drive SUVs.

It does surprise me how many vehicles packing construction items in plain view don't go to the declare lane.

I drive a small wagon for its economy on my Sandy Eggo trips. I'm way overdue for inspection southbound.

bigmike - 2-8-2014 at 03:15 AM

Just to let you know we pulled into the declare lane on 1/30, had a couple of doors, paint etc stuff we could not hide. Was told by the guy outside it would be $60.00 as we were bringing building materials, I showed him our Permante resident cards and the receipt and said we should only have to pay duty on $52.00, he said no building materials are extra and asked me how much I thought would be fair. I knew as soon as he said that I would not be paying any duty but be paying him and that is exactly what happened, he took $30.00 and gave me a paper and said to go ahead, then got pulled into secondary, handed them the paper and they said ok, go ahead. No receipt for what I paid. So I don't know if we are going back to the old way where you pay the inspectors or what.

DavidE - 2-8-2014 at 10:09 AM

Grumble, snarl, @#$%^&! sometimes I wish I could do that with US customs with regard to Tequila, avocados, and other inanely banned or restricted items.

DavidE - 2-8-2014 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
That is exactly what I do also, Willard.
I do the same when I catch a look at a cop in a known mordida town.

NOTE:
For whatever reason, this past Monday, February 3, I saw four cops on bikes and three cops in trucks, in Tecate.
I saw several Gringos pulled over by bike cops, but i was not singled out by any of the rest of them. Call it luck, if you wish, but my general strategy is to follow a local driver, and mimic whatever he/she does.

I'm going north on the 5th and I promise I am going to drive at least 5 miles in downtown Tecate while PRAYING to be stopped. I've been aching with all these frente frios rolling through and I need to sharpen my fangs.