BajaNomad

Baja Bug Out Vehicle

bajaguy - 2-15-2014 at 12:25 PM

A new way to get to "Shell Island"????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGNOi8TLfCo&feature=share

willardguy - 2-15-2014 at 12:50 PM

you can't attempt the treacherous rigors of shell island without lockers and traction control, precisely aired down given vehicle weight, sand grit size, and barometric pressure, can you? :rolleyes:......:lol:

Hook - 2-15-2014 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
you can't attempt the treacherous rigors of shell island without lockers and traction control, precisely aired down given vehicle weight, sand grit size, and barometric pressure, can you? :rolleyes:......:lol:

AT LEAST it's Japanese made.

BUT you've got to have five maps and twenty guide books or you'll never find it!!! :o

[Edited on 2-15-2014 by Hook]

willardguy - 2-15-2014 at 01:04 PM

and a good camera to document the event, over and over and over....:lol:

monoloco - 2-15-2014 at 01:22 PM

We have a CRV, and it's been super reliable. Just replaced the brake pads last year for the first time at 95000 miles, and have never had any problems with the engine or driveline.

wessongroup - 2-15-2014 at 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
We have a CRV, and it's been super reliable. Just replaced the brake pads last year for the first time at 95000 miles, and have never had any problems with the engine or driveline.

We have one too ... and it has been bullet proof ... they are a good deal ... and can go a lot of places with ease

the kid wants to put a turbo on it ... will see .. :no::no:

[Edited on 2-15-2014 by wessongroup]

Hook - 2-15-2014 at 02:50 PM

Did they ever make a true 4wd version of the CR-V? With a low range and everything?

monoloco - 2-15-2014 at 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Did they ever make a true 4wd version of the CR-V? With a low range and everything?
No. They really aren't that capable in soft sand or deep snow, I've gotten stuck a couple of times, but they do ride pretty good on bad roads and have good ground clearance. Our Subaru has superior traction and handling, but isn't as reliable and lacks the ground clearance. The CRV handles more like a front wheel drive vehicle with noticeable torque steer.

David K - 2-15-2014 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
No. They really aren't that capable in soft sand or deep snow, I've gotten stuck a couple of times, but they do ride pretty good on bad roads and have good ground clearance. Our Subaru has superior traction and handling, but isn't as reliable and lacks the ground clearance. The CRV handles more like a front wheel drive vehicle with noticeable torque steer.

Soft sand can be driven in nearly any vehicle if enough air is let out of the tires. My Off Road Tacoma will bog in the sand on Shell Island when it is heavily loaded and tires are at street pressure. Low Range/ Rear Locker makes it only dig in deeper! Drop to 15 psi on average.

My Subarus did great in sand with their little 13" tires and 1.6 or 1.8 liter motors (1977-1990's) when the tire pressure was dropped to 10 psi.

I have seen 2WD big motorhomes, and even a Lincoln Continental on Shell Island... It's all about air pressure and staying on top of the sand.