BajaNomad

Baja Adventure 2007

flyguy - 2-21-2014 at 01:48 AM

So i have been meaning to post some pictures from our trip 7 years ago for a while now. We left BC Canada with out a clue for 3 months exploring the western states and Baja. Since recently finding this site i have been blown away by the sense of community and how help full and welcoming you all are! I hope you enjoy a few of our memories as i fell in love with this special part of the world!

Mexicali border crossing (can anyone tell me which one this is?) we had heard about some kind of red light green light thing but people were just flying almost right through, we got a red light but no one came out so we just continued on our way! Ha

The road to San Felipe, the sand blows were quite frightening as locals came flying over them towards us with what seemed like no regard.

This is a shot of 'Big Blue' i bought it off my electrical company for $500, 1986 gmc Vandura 3500 with 300,000 kms. She flew like the wind :)

We met a friend who was living in San Felipe at the time and dating a local guy, a great view as we ate.

Anyone been here? I love this shot.

Face to face with my first Cardon.

Rice and Beans at San Ignacio?

Lagoon.

Next thing we knew we were in Cabo at El Squid Roe ?! What a crazy place!

Lands end.

Paradise.

Mission San Jose del Cabo.

I think i ate my body weight in shell fish this trip!

Jose.

Cabo Pulmo!

There is Big Blue in the distance ... we spent the night here and got stuck in the sand. I know now to air down (thanks Baja Nomads!)

The sea life blew us away! I had been to the Great Barrier Reef previously and it was just as good.

First Corona in a can! Ya i know, we are sheltered up in Canada eh :/

Spent the day hiking south and swimming in the warm bays.

An amazing family we met at the laundry mat, they own a bright orange resturant called La Choya in Pescadero. They were so poor yet so generous, i can't wait to see if they are doing ok.

Great view as we crested the hill above Los Ceritos beach.

This guy pulled in a hog off the LaPaz Pier.

Mission LaPaz

Fun at Balandra Bay.

Loretto Malecon

Playa El Requeson

I think this was a Prickly Pear? ... we tryed it but was sour!

My favorite meal of the trip @ Scotty's Bar.

Stumbled on a Shipwreck.

Only in Mexico ;)

BOLA sunrise :)

Thanks for looking, I can't wait to get back this fall!

Tyler.

jbcoug - 2-21-2014 at 08:05 AM

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed your pics. Now I don't feel so bad, my trip pictures are only six months late.

Ateo - 2-21-2014 at 08:15 AM

flyguy: Thanks for posting the trip. Always great to see pure joy via photos. And some great shots you took. Dig that Virgin Mary one.

BornFisher - 2-21-2014 at 08:34 AM

What a great trip!! Love the van!!

TMW - 2-21-2014 at 09:53 AM

Thanks. Beautiful pictures and excellent trip.

StuckSucks - 2-21-2014 at 02:43 PM

Killer photos. Can't wait to be back down there in November!

re: Corona in a can. Hey, you Canadians have high-octane beer - nuff said.

David K - 2-21-2014 at 07:24 PM

Super awesome photos flyguy! You found the Baja Feeling, I think!

Because you asked: That is Mexicali downtown (west) Border.

Because it's my thing: The La Paz Mission is not that church, but they tell tourists it is since there are no ruins preserved of the original La Paz mission, just a plaque where some think it was... a few blocks from that church... We even have that church in our missions book because it is what the locals call the mission, but we explain there is no connection. ;)

flyguy - 2-22-2014 at 12:49 PM

Thanks alot everyone! Yes it seems the beer does get weaker the further south you go... must have something to do with the heat? :P Very interesting David K! Now i'm gonna have to find that plaque, how fun :D

David K - 2-22-2014 at 01:02 PM

There are so many pieces of Spanish-era history on the peninsula, it would be an adventure just to try and see them all.

Have you seen this web site set of pages: http://vivabaja.com/bajamissions

Ditch the Corona, and step up to XX Lager Especial or Pacifico... then go on to the darker brews such as XX Amber, Negra Modelo and Bohemia for more taste.

Marc - 2-25-2014 at 06:58 PM

I drove the exact same van. Blue with a deck built in the back. Big V8 that flew. Drove it to Baja many times. Great memories.
Santispac 2007

[Edited on 2-26-2014 by Marc]

flyguy - 2-25-2014 at 11:14 PM

hahaha that's amazing Marc! Oh boy do I miss her ... I'm scared i'll have more issues down there with my new Yota than I did Big Blue!

Marc - 2-26-2014 at 08:40 PM

Talkin Yotas? Goes most anywhere.

Bob H - 2-26-2014 at 10:03 PM

Man, I loved these photos and trip report, even if it was a few years ago...

flyguy - 2-27-2014 at 09:25 PM

From blue van to white Yota!! Thats hilarious Marc!

My fish mobile in action :D

Cheers!

[Edited on 2-28-2014 by flyguy]

BAJACAT - 3-1-2014 at 09:42 AM

flyguy, great report, and welcome to BN..enjoy your trip alot..the caption that reads ONLY IN MEXICO, it's about the expiration date on the juice, if it's, FUNNY VERY FUNNY..

BAJACAT - 3-1-2014 at 09:44 AM

SORRY i just notice the date of the trip..still the question is about the juice?

David K - 3-1-2014 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
SORRY i just notice the date of the trip..still the question is about the juice?

José, look again, the plastic lid is not over the hole in the box.

BAJACAT - 3-1-2014 at 10:02 AM

David I did notice that,I assume that the lid was remove to the side..I was thinking its was about the square container...hahah still funny..

My firts Corona in a can was in Gonzaga Bay, I was so thrill, and then my sister tells me "DORK"they have Corona cans in Tijuana,and we all star laughfing...hahahahha