BajaNomad

Smuggling Wine? Let Me Tell You

Gypsy Jan - 2-22-2014 at 12:06 PM

About smuggling guns and bullets.

I bought a shotgun and a Glock under my own name in California, perfectly legal.

We registered the guns with the Minesteria de Armas (I may have the agency name wrong) and were approved because we were members of a shooting club.

But, you can't buy more than ten bullets at a time here.

I was advised by one of my felllow gun club members to buy ammunition in San Diego and bury it in a super-sized empty soda drink cup.

I opted to buy several large boxes of kitty litter (we did have cats at that time) and bury the ammo inside the boxes.

I got home, no problem.

My only punishment is when I pick my daughter up at the Amtrak station, she asks me, "OK, Mom, what are you smuggling today?"

vandenberg - 2-22-2014 at 01:31 PM

No idea if you're just pulling our leg but, if I were you, I would be very careful about smuggling ammo into this country and advertising it on a public forum.:no::no:

It's All Done and Gone Several Years Ago

Gypsy Jan - 2-22-2014 at 01:37 PM

Our local police advised that if we have a home invader and have a confrontation, drag the body outside and dump it off the cliff.

Less paperwork for them.

Cypress - 2-22-2014 at 01:56 PM

Ammo? Between the govt. buying it all up and hoarders stashing it, you can't even get .22 cartridges at Wal-Mart in the USA. A gun without ammo? :?:

We Have Over a Thousand Rounds

Gypsy Jan - 2-22-2014 at 02:00 PM

Gypsy Jan - 2-22-2014 at 02:07 PM

In our house.

Husband, a Korea vet, secret agent in the agency never named under the cloak of the CIA believes in protection.

sancho - 2-22-2014 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Our local police advised that if we have a home invader and have a confrontation, drag the body outside and dump it off the cliff.

A bit of a reckless statement at best, dealing with the death of a Mex National at the hands of a Gringo Tourist/ Perm Resident, is
not something to be joked about ,aside from that,
not too many yrs. back, there was a member of the US Military sent to TJ to
bring back a Military guy who was in Jail for being drunk,
he crossed in a US Military Vehicle which was carrying
weapons, ammo., etc., he spent he spent a while
incarcarated in TJ for bringing into Mex guns, ammo.,
it took more that a bit before the Mex Govt realesed
him

[Edited on 2-22-2014 by sancho]

We are Mexican Ciitizens, not Gringos

Gypsy Jan - 2-22-2014 at 02:20 PM

So there you go.

The Ghost, the Famous assassin

Gypsy Jan - 2-22-2014 at 02:29 PM

Is still looking for him.

If he is still alive - my husband doesn't think so.

[Edited on 2-23-2014 by Gypsy Jan]

sancho - 2-22-2014 at 02:35 PM

Whatever your legal status in Mex is, your post is
still irresponsible, making light of, seeing some sort
of humor in smuggling among others

Bubba - 2-22-2014 at 02:52 PM

None of this is anything to joke about, especially in Mexico.

Ateo - 2-22-2014 at 02:55 PM

Oh lighten up everyone.

DENNIS - 2-22-2014 at 02:56 PM

Quote:

We are Mexican Citizens, not Gringos

Some things just don't wash off regardless how hard you scrub or how much you pay.

Hey, Whatever You Guys Have an Opinion About

Gypsy Jan - 2-22-2014 at 03:44 PM

The local and federal authorities go through what we have on an annual basis.

They have no problems, in fact they appreciate us, they feel that we are contributing to the security or the community.

So, there you go and I am not being sarcastic.

The unpaid officers with no ammunition know that they can come here to load up.

That is all.

GJ

DavidE - 2-22-2014 at 04:42 PM

Damn!

I clicked on the Baja Forums bookmark and somehow ended up in the Guns N Ammo website.

Time to format the hard drive...

Pappy Jon - 2-23-2014 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy JanWe Have Over a Thousand Rounds

That's all? I have that much just in 9mm. Not in MX of course.

Wiles - 2-23-2014 at 07:13 PM

What is the shelf life of ammo?

Hook - 2-23-2014 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Ammo? Between the govt. buying it all up.........:

Oh, please, do tell me about this latest right-wing phobia. Why is the government buying up all the .22 cal cartriges?

mtgoat666 - 2-23-2014 at 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Ammo? Between the govt. buying it all up.........:

Oh, please, do tell me about this latest right-wing phobia. Why is the government buying up all the .22 cal cartriges?

Gun owners are a paranoid bunch. Glad I don't own guns! Don't feel any need to! No paranoia! No fear!

Bajaboy - 2-23-2014 at 10:59 PM

Quote:

must not be a very accurate shooter to need that many rounds...:?:

David K - 2-24-2014 at 12:23 AM

He who runs out of bullets first, comes in last!

vandy - 2-24-2014 at 05:49 AM

Gypsy's recent posts remind me of a funny story....HIJACK!....

In Durango, CO a few years back, an acquaintance of mine (Edward "special ed" Pretzer) had had a few too many and drove his car off a rural road.

The La Plata County Sheriff's Department (can't find their own butts with both hands and a flashlight) found him dirty, disheveled, stinking of booze and with a broken arm.

He, of course, explained that he was on a secret flight from the CIA that had crashed in the mountains.

The LPSD is still trying to squeeze him for the $15,000 Search and Rescue costs.

pacificobob - 2-24-2014 at 06:47 AM

i would think someone married to a "secret agent" would be a bit more accomplished in keeping ones mouth shut.

Pappy Jon - 2-24-2014 at 07:57 AM

Quote:

For practice. So one can become an accurate shooter.

monoloco - 2-24-2014 at 08:27 AM

It may not be a good idea to be broadcasting on the internet that you have 1000 rounds of ammo in Mexico. Just sayin'.

Martyman - 2-24-2014 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Oh lighten up everyone.

Exactly!

mtgoat666 - 2-24-2014 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pappy Jon
Quote:

why do you need to be accurate for home defense? just point in general direction and shoot.

most guns kept in home are more likely used to "accidentally" kill friends and family, so perhaps it is better to be inaccurate, eh?

probably best to shoot blanks, scares the thieves, but doesn't kill the grandkids or dogs :light:

secret agent man? what's the secret? :lol::lol:

dasubergeek - 2-25-2014 at 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by Pappy Jon
Quote:

why do you need to be accurate for home defense? just point in general direction and shoot.

most guns kept in home are more likely used to "accidentally" kill friends and family, so perhaps it is better to be inaccurate, eh?

probably best to shoot blanks, scares the thieves, but doesn't kill the grandkids or dogs :light:

Spoken like someone who's never touched a gun.

Let me ask you a question. When you pick up your kitchen knife to cut an onion, do you cut in the general direction of the onion? No, you cut the f***ing onion. The same goes for a gun. You don't shoot vaguely near the target, you shoot the target.

Shooting blanks is a great idea until you discover that the home invader is armed. Or until he discovers you're not.

As for the ammunition, 1000 rounds is not exactly hoarding. I can go through a hundred shells in four games—two hours, max—at a skeet range. (Though in my experience, the shortage of .22LR ammunition at Walmart has more to do with people convinced the government is buying up the ammo than the government actually buying up the ammo.)

Pappy Jon - 2-25-2014 at 06:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

* why do you need to be accurate for home defense? just point in general direction and shoot.

* most guns kept in home are more likely used to "accidentally" kill friends and family, so perhaps it is better to be inaccurate, eh? probably best to shoot blanks, scares the thieves, but doesn't kill the grandkids or dogs :light:

Those two statements contradict each other. You practice so you hit the bad guy/gal, not the dog, grand-kids, friends, or other family members. Why would you want to shoot recklessly? That makes no sense.

Owning a firearm comes with responsibility. Knowing how to use it is part of that responsibility.

[Edited on 2-26-2014 by Pappy Jon]

[Edited on 2-26-2014 by Pappy Jon]

jimgrms - 2-26-2014 at 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiles

I was using 45 cal ammo in viet nam,and it went bang real good

[Edited on 2-26-2014 by jimgrms]

durrelllrobert - 2-26-2014 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Ammo Life

bajaguy - 2-26-2014 at 09:22 AM

Depends on the storage conditions.

In my Army days, we would function test small arms (.22cal to .50cal) and fixed ammunition (gun & cannon) at the Hawthorne Army Ammunition Plant with headstamps/mfg dates as early as 1917 - they all worked as advertised

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiles

Bajajorge - 2-26-2014 at 10:13 AM

If properly stored ammo will last a very long time. I entered the military some 13 years after WWII and was using ammo from WWII then.

redhilltown - 2-28-2014 at 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

I would think it would depend on how you did with the rounds you had BEFORE you ran out.