BajaNomad

What a contrast btwn military checkpoints Fri Feb 14 vs Mon Feb 17

Whale-ista - 2-22-2014 at 02:47 PM

I drove south to GN for whalewatching on dia de amor/amistad (2/14), and returned 2/17. On Friday I gave away chocolates to the soldiers and was pretty much waved thru with little fanfare while SB.

What a difference a weekend makes!

The difference between the inspections NB on 2/17 was startling: instead of waving me thru, the soldiers were climbing into the cab of my truck, opening compartments, searching bags, going thru my toiletry kit in incredible detail... has someone been smuggling drugs in toothpaste tubes?

I gave them the last of the chocolates, after they had done their work, but was really surprised by the difference in inspection.

Did anyone else travelling last weekend have similar experiences? What's it been like the past week?

KurtG - 2-22-2014 at 02:54 PM

I am almost always waved through southbound and almost always searched northbound. Seems to be the normal routine.

bajabuddha - 2-22-2014 at 03:00 PM

Rarely ever checked southbound, just waved through; but northbound all hell breaks loose. Some spots are worse than others (especially Loreto and San Ignacio). Even your chocolates won't stop a little pilfering if they get a chance, so don't substitute kindness for diligence. I'm all for (and do) the kindness thing, but only one door at a time when i'm alone, and i watch every move they make. Also lock my truck before letting them go into my RV. I've had them climb up the back ladder on my 5th wheel and walk around on the roof 'inspecting' my vents. Ain't good for the finish and sealant up there. However, smiles and a few words in spanish help loads.

chuckie - 2-22-2014 at 05:07 PM

Thats the way..belligerence and attitude makes things worse...BUT keep your eyes open and dont be bashful about calling for the OIC if you feel pilfered....

David K - 2-22-2014 at 06:54 PM

It's nearly always that way... nothing new... the drugs are heading north, after all.

willardguy - 2-22-2014 at 07:29 PM

:lol: amazing what a couple maps, an autographed copy of "missionary style", and a airdown tutorial will do at a checkpoint!

David K - 2-22-2014 at 07:43 PM

You know all my tricks, don't you? :lol:

vacaenbaja - 2-24-2014 at 05:17 PM

Inspections on the way up have always been more intense in my experience.. The worst southern inspection if you leave out the
GN spary and go would be some vehicle registration deal going on on
Mexico 1 right before entering San Ignacio. The "officer" thought he had a real felon when he said that my VIN number did not match the numbers on my license plate! I said what? The VIN number is not on the plate I said. These
were not federales. They seemed to be from the town of San Ignacio and
very ill trained in the interpetation of US registration , VIN Plates etc.
Of course they put the bait out for the expidite fee. I asked to speak to someone who knew what he was doing. The line was getting long and they had bigger fish to fry. They let me by.

Bajahowodd - 2-24-2014 at 06:02 PM

Of course the N/B inspections will be more thorough. just as others have mentioned. In the past several years, the only S/B checkpoint that has not waived us right through is the one West of San Ignacio.

I get it. It is just about the only checkpoint that exists on a highway strictly flowing between the Pacific and the Sea of Cortez.

55steve - 2-24-2014 at 06:13 PM

We headed south to Ojo de Liebre on Tuesday the 11th and returned to San Diego on Sunday 2/16 - we went through around 6 checkpoints and the only place we were actually checked was the one heading north out of El Rosario and it was very quick.

bajabuddha - 2-24-2014 at 06:19 PM

Side-note:
Both the San Ignatz and Loreto (12k north) are manned by my vecinos, the 16th Infantry unit from San Lucas. They are over-zealous, and the dichotomy is that their unit commanders are the two most likeable, nicest guys in the world. A small one at that. I urge a few complaints sent to the tele. # on the board at the checkpoints, i should expect changes made. I won't, because of friendship ties. Although i shall mention it next time i see one of my Vecinos.

David K - 2-24-2014 at 06:19 PM

The remote checkpoints, due to boredom often have longer inspections... The Gonzaga Bay check used to be one where he would write down license or passport number (no he didn't ask for a passport, it is just easier to copy my name off of it).

Another lonely one was near Punta San Francisquito, by Rancho El Progreso many years ago (nobody there in 2012).

Bajahowodd - 2-26-2014 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Side-note:
Both the San Ignatz and Loreto (12k north) are manned by my vecinos, the 16th Infantry unit from San Lucas. They are over-zealous, and the dichotomy is that their unit commanders are the two most likeable, nicest guys in the world. A small one at that. I urge a few complaints sent to the tele. # on the board at the checkpoints, i should expect changes made. I won't, because of friendship ties. Although i shall mention it next time i see one of my Vecinos.

Just wondering why anyone would place a call to complain about checkpoints, unless they actually experienced unprofessional behavior.

The bottom line is that these check points are more about satisfying the US government than they are about apprehending drug lords. Additionally, it is actually designed to let the tourist feel like there is a presence seeking out the bad guys.

The big cheeses in the cartels know their way around. It's hugely improbable that anyone associated with moving large quantities of drugs will be apprehended at any checkpoint.

[Edited on 2-27-2014 by Bajahowodd]

redhilltown - 2-27-2014 at 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The remote checkpoints, due to boredom often have longer inspections... The Gonzaga Bay check used to be one where he would write down license or passport number (no he didn't ask for a passport, it is just easier to copy my name off of it).

Another lonely one was near Punta San Francisquito, by Rancho El Progreso many years ago (nobody there in 2012).

So true about San Francisquito...those guys used to be BORED!