BajaNomad

Problems with Schwab ATM card

Jack Swords - 2-23-2014 at 02:15 PM

After two months of using our Schwab ATM card in La Paz, suddenly we were refused by our "institution". We were using Banamex terminals at the bank. We tried 3 other bank ATMs and even a stand-alone terminal at Mega. Same message, refused by institution. Our balance was more than $6000 USD and we were trying for 500 or fewer pesos so that was not the problem. E-mailing Schwab customer service, we received a return message that they would contact us in 3 days. That they did, with another message that another customer support group would contact us in another 3 days (they never did). Needing $ for a return trip to the US we fortunately had an ATM card on our local bank and had no problem accessing our funds from our bank.

Upon returning home, I called the customer service numbers on the back of the card and was informed that we were indeed blocked as "there is a lot of fraud in Mexico". I explained that this was our pipeline of money and it put us in a jam. I was transferred from Indianapolis, to Denver, then to Phoenix with different customer care individuals, this resulting from my call to our local Schwab office. We were told that they (local)only handle investments. We never got to talk to our local office. We have used ATMs for 16 years in La Paz, never been refused. This was our first while using the Schwab card.

Lesson learned: Always have a back-up ATM cards from a different and real bank, maybe even several back-ups. Fortunately we did have another card on another bank. I would rather pay the service fee for reliability than having the fees waived with what could be a useless card. We started our Schwab account with $10,000 USD and certainly had sufficient funds, but they agreed that their intent was to prevent fraud and were decidedly unsympathetic.

Before somebody mentions it, we always notify our banks, credit unions, utilities, etc. that we will be in Mexico for 3-4 months. This included Schwab. Each is given our e-mail address to contact us, should it be necessary. Schwab never did.

Maybe you really do get what you pay for.

AndyP - 2-23-2014 at 04:56 PM

Wow, very disappointing to hear this- I've used my account all over the world and never had a problem and it's saved me hundreds of dollars in ATM fees.

The run-around you describe is totally unacceptable. I'm looking at my card and it has a 24 hour international collect line; I wonder if that would have been helpful if you'd called it?

weebray - 2-23-2014 at 05:46 PM

Same thing happened to us. Called 800# on the card and advised them we were in Mexico. Service rep advised us of lots of fraud in Mexico and other countries. She was very helpful and "fixed" it immed. Very impressed with their service. We also advise them where we are going when we travel.

bajagrouper - 2-23-2014 at 06:35 PM

Jack, did you notify Schwab you would be in Mexico for a certain period of time, I have been using my Schwab card for 6 months in Mexico without problem>>>>>

dtutko1 - 2-23-2014 at 06:40 PM

I used my card on 2/22 at the Banco Mercantil Del Norte w/no problems. @13.3 p to the $

BajaNomad - 2-23-2014 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajagrouper

Jack, did you notify Schwab you would be in Mexico for a certain period of time

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords

Before somebody mentions it, we always notify our banks, credit unions, utilities, etc. that we will be in Mexico for 3-4 months. This included Schwab. Each is given our e-mail address to contact us, should it be necessary. Schwab never did.

Jack Swords - 2-23-2014 at 08:31 PM

The main point of my post was that it is prudent to have a backup bank ATM card. We have never had ATM problems with our banks, this was the first and I am glad that we had the backup. Without it, we would have been in a difficult situation. We did use the e-mail (with aforementioned poor response) and acquired our gas/hotel money from our bank's ATM card, so waited until we arrived home to call Schwab. I was not satisfied with their response. We did notify Schwab before leaving of our trip and its duration as we always do as mentioned before. As a side note, several years ago we were shorted on an ATM payout in La Paz. The La Paz bank was no help, so we contacted our bank (their ATM card) and they said if we pay a fee for the transaction on the ATM, they will make it good. This is an agreement between banks. They did. Again, things happen and an extra bank account with an ATM card is just insurance.

Justbozo - 2-23-2014 at 09:29 PM

I agree, always have a backup. You can live with fees better than no cash.

My gal and I both have Schwab cards and are very happy with them. BUT, we got blocked earlier this year. Finally realized we had unknowingly swapped cards. My pin with her card 3 times blocked both of them! Got on Skype and called there regular service number in Indy, explained, stayed on the line with both of us until we got our pins change, no rush no transfers, and all better.

Most email service is terrible, chat is usually good.

Most local banking offices don't handle any card issues, including Schwab.

Always have a backup, otherwise it's like driving Baja without a spare tire!

DavidE - 2-24-2014 at 11:44 AM

Thanks Mr. Swords. That pretty much kaboshes the idea of me opening a Schwab account. I personally could not afford to get into that kind of problem. I need as low a failure rate as possible.

Mil Gracias for saving me from a possible nightmare.

willardguy - 2-24-2014 at 12:33 PM

me too. I opened a schwab account a month ago but haven't crossed north to fund it, now i'll keep the BofA open,just in case!

Lee - 2-24-2014 at 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
Maybe you really do get what you pay for.

Then again maybe you don't.

My CS account was blocked for MX first time I tried to use it in BCS. One call unblocked it. No problems since. Doesn't mean there won't be.

Anyone thinking BofA is flawless or paying bank fees will get you better service? Good luck on that.

For those skipping CS, let us know what ATM's you're using without fees, and who your back-up bank is and what they're fees are.

I'm a pessimist. Expect the worst, hope for the best. Have a back-up plan in place.