BajaNomad

ATMs between Ensenada & La Paz

Wilbur4s - 2-25-2014 at 02:52 PM

Any ideas about reliable ATMs between Ensenada and La Paz?
Thanks, Will

BajaBlanca - 2-25-2014 at 03:20 PM

Well, sometimes there are issues with ATMs

I know there are some in Guerrero Negro and some in Vizcaino

After that would be Mulege

I presume Loreto, but I dont know the location

And then La Paz.

Those are the ones I know of.

Whale-ista - 2-25-2014 at 03:26 PM

I've seen signs for them in San Quintin area, but have not used them.

I have only used one in GN, in a kiosk next to the first Pemex on south side of road as you enter town. It worked fine with my credit union debit card.

Howard - 2-25-2014 at 03:34 PM

There are absolutely no shortages of ATM's on Highway #1.

DENNIS - 2-25-2014 at 03:37 PM

To my knowledge all of the big stores have them...Sorianas...Com Mex....Walmart...Costco, just to name a few. Plan your budget accordingly. Don't carry too little or too much.

Are you familiar with Baja?

DavidE - 2-25-2014 at 04:30 PM

The Vizcaino BanComer cajero automatico is frequently grouchy. Haven't seen too many machines between Lazaro Card##as and Guerrero Negro. And that distance is no joke.

weebray - 2-25-2014 at 04:36 PM

Sadly you can't trade a couple of dog eared Playboy magazines for two kilos of shrimp anymore. Cash is king in Baja just like the rest of 'merica. Baja has entered the 21st century and ATM's abound. Look for other links here for warnings and wise use. We check Oanda.com for the daily rate and never pay more than 7 1/2 cents for a peso.

UnoMas - 2-25-2014 at 04:45 PM

They are all up and down Baja. I like to use the Banamex in San Vicente. It is a quiet town and easy on and off the highway, there is a grocery store next door. On left as you head South.

RanchoGil - 2-25-2014 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
The Vizcaino BanComer cajero automatico is frequently grouchy. Haven't seen too many machines between Lazaro Card##as and Guerrero Negro. And that distance is no joke.

We used this one and the alarm/siren went off, very loud. No one in the bank seemed to care. But we were able to get pesos:?:

woody with a view - 2-25-2014 at 07:19 PM

as soon as you pass the 3rd toll gate at San Miguel heading south park on the right. there is an atm kiosk right there to the left of the store and bathrooms. we use it everytime we head south. there are usually federal cops in the toll line looking all official so it gives a sense of securiity. either way, we've never had an issue with that one.

the bank in G Negro is the only other one i trust, or have used.....

DENNIS - 2-25-2014 at 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
as soon as you pass the 3rd toll gate at San Miguel heading south

That may not be happening for a while, Woody, what with the big detour in place. He'll miss that last booth.

Alm - 2-28-2014 at 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
To my knowledge all of the big stores have them...Sorianas...Com Mex....Walmart...Costco, just to name a few. Plan your budget accordingly. Don't carry too little or too much.

yeah, but there are no such big stores on the stretch that he asked about. It's better to carry at least some pesos - but not too much, agreed. Midsize towns along Mex1 would have banks with ATM, though I hate paying 3 or 4 USD every time.

Paying in USD when the price is quoted in pesos, usually results in a huge mark-up, so it's better to pay pesos when they ask pesos.

[Edited on 2-28-2014 by Alm]

Mula - 2-28-2014 at 05:48 AM

In Loreto there is as of Wednesday a Banamex ATM at the Ley Grocery Store. Don't know how much longer that will be there since the bank itself closed 3 weeks ago.

In Insurgentes there is a BanNorte ATM at the Ley.

The Pemex at the corner there took it's ATM out.

There are many ATMs in Constitucion.

Then none until La Paz. 212 KMs.

DENNIS - 2-28-2014 at 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm

Paying in USD when the price is quoted in pesos, usually results in a huge mark-up, so it's better to pay pesos when they ask pesos.

Most definitely.
Besides......the almighty dollar isn't as revered as it used to be. Unless the person being paid in US bucks has a need for them, such as shopping in the states, they are just another problem for him to get rid of without seeing a loss.

Use "Coin Of The Realm." It's the respectful thing to do.

Toobman - 3-5-2014 at 08:26 AM

There is an HSBC and Banamex in San Quintin that I have used a few times. The HSBC is around the north corner of the park, and Banamex is on the east side of the 1. I have also seen a sign to another HSBC a few km south of San Quintin next to the Pemex but haven't actually verified it exists.

Also, the gas station in El Rosario can give you limited cash(<1000 pesos) against your ATM card for a 3% fee.

Udo - 3-5-2014 at 08:34 AM

Santa Rosalia Has two, and I recall one from a few years ago in San Ignacio.

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Well, sometimes there are issues with ATMs

I know there are some in Guerrero Negro and some in Vizcaino

After that would be Mulege

I presume Loreto, but I dont know the location

And then La Paz.

Those are the ones I know of.

Gulliver - 3-5-2014 at 09:08 PM

How about Cambios? I'm heading from Mulege North later this week and have more US bucks than pesos. I've been hitting about 50% trying to use a VISA credit card at Pemexes.

Mula - 3-6-2014 at 06:21 AM

No Cambios that I know of going north until Ensenada or so.

Also be careful when planning on using ATM's anywhere on the 1st and the 15th of the month. Most of the smaller places' ATM's run out of money for a day or 2. Happens every month almost in Insurgentes.

David K - 8-30-2016 at 08:25 AM

Any updated list of ATM machines in Baja?

South of Ensenada, is the above (and added below) still valid?

San Vicente, San Felipe, San Quintin, Guerrero Negro, Vizcaino, Santa Rosalia, Mulege, Loreto, Insurgentes, Constitucion, La Paz.

Any more?

Baja Blanca reported an issue at the Vizcaino ATM, all resolved?

BigBearRider - 8-30-2016 at 08:35 AM

Isn't there one at the Cataviņa Country Club?

rts551 - 8-30-2016 at 08:39 AM

How the hell did you drum up this old post? The Bancomer in Vizcaino now has a bank of 6 newer ATM's with a couple of people sanding by to help.. Never a problem.

San Felipe has ATM's at the major store, OXXO's, and the bank (Bank is hard to park at). Guerrero Negro has not changed. Santa Rosalia has not changed. La Paz...Everywhere.

BigBearRider - 8-30-2016 at 08:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
How the hell did you drum up this old post? The Bancomer in Vizcaino now has a bank of 6 newer ATM's with a couple of people sanding by to help.. Never a problem.

San Felipe has ATM's at the major store, OXXO's, and the bank (Bank is hard to park at). Guerrero Negro has not changed. Santa Rosalia has not changed. La Paz...Everywhere.

"with a couple of people sanding by to help" is that like in LA Story where they rob you?

David K - 8-30-2016 at 09:17 AM

Helping out fellow Baja travelers, I searched for ATM locations between Ensenada and La Paz. I think it is an important thread to warrant an update. That's "how the hell" I did it Ralph. Thank you for your input.

SFandH - 8-30-2016 at 09:24 AM

There are ATMs in every town along the highway except PERHAPS at the tiniest. All banks have them and many stores do too.

David K - 8-30-2016 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
There are ATMs in every town along the highway except PERHAPS at the tiniest. All banks have them and many stores do too.

I am speaking about Cash ATMs not just point of purchase machines.

There are not that many towns with banks that listing them is an ordeal... is it? Can you add any more towns with Banks/ Cash ATMs between Ensenada area and La Paz beyond the list I posted? El Rosario does not have a bank or ATM, for example... yet it is a major central Baja town. San Ignacio, either, I don't think? Thank you.

Any more places than these?

San Vicente, San Felipe, Colonia Vicente Guerrero, San Quintin, Guerrero Negro, Vizcaino, Santa Rosalia, Mulege, Loreto, Insurgentes, Constitucion.

[Edited on 8-30-2016 by David K]

bajaguy - 8-30-2016 at 11:39 AM

ATM's and PEMEX stations.....

Plan ahead, don't worry....peace, love and fish tacos

bkbend - 8-30-2016 at 12:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

San Vicente, San Felipe, San Quintin, Guerrero Negro, Vizcaino, Santa Rosalia, Mulege, Loreto, Insurgentes, Constitucion.

I'm pretty sure I hit an ATM at the bank in Vicente Guerrero.

David K - 8-30-2016 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  

San Vicente, San Felipe, Colonia Vicente Guerrero, San Quintin, Guerrero Negro, Vizcaino, Santa Rosalia, Mulege, Loreto, Insurgentes, Constitucion.

I'm pretty sure I hit an ATM at the bank in Vicente Guerrero.

Thank you... I added it to my list.

Any more? Camalu, Colonet, Valle de Trinidad?

rts551 - 8-30-2016 at 12:59 PM

I am speaking about Cash ATMs not just point of purchase machines.

There are not that many towns with banks that listing them is an ordeal... is it? Can you add any more towns with Banks/ Cash ATMs between Ensenada area and La Paz beyond the list I posted? El Rosario does not have a bank or ATM, for example... yet it is a major central Baja town. San Ignacio, either, I don't think? Thank you.

[Edited on 8-30-2016 by David K]

He is correct. Many supermarkets and OXXO, 7/11's etc have CASH ATM machines. For example, we prefer the Calimax over the bank in San Felipe because of the parking.

tiotomasbcs - 8-30-2016 at 02:13 PM

The small bank in Mulege has been doling out ATM monies for a few years. Good middle peninsula addition. I thot rule of thumb was only use those ATMs in banks during hours! I got screwed at the new Pemex in GN at ATM outside Oxxo...they couldn't help me. Go way into town to find the bank. I also have used the ATM/Bank in Colonia Vicente Guerrero at the stop light w/o problems. BTW, my bank in Cali reimbursed my account for miscue in GN. Good to know where they are. Tio

rts551 - 8-30-2016 at 02:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
The small bank in Mulege has been doling out ATM monies for a few years. Good middle peninsula addition. I thot rule of thumb was only use those ATMs in banks during hours! I got screwed at the new Pemex in GN at ATM outside Oxxo...they couldn't help me. Go way into town to find the bank. I also have used the ATM/Bank in Colonia Vicente Guerrero at the stop light w/o problems. BTW, my bank in Cali reimbursed my account for miscue in GN. Good to know where they are. Tio

I don't like that ATM in GN because it is outside and an excellent choice for a skimmer.

Bajahowodd - 8-30-2016 at 05:05 PM

For many years, we have stopped at the ATM outside the bank at the turnoff to Punta Banda. Have used many ATMs up and down the peninsula, but only those at a bank. Got ripped of by a private ATM in Cabo at a resort. Just go to those that are attached to or are inside actual banks.

Alm - 8-30-2016 at 06:22 PM

Any more?

No, sir. You named them all.

norte - 8-30-2016 at 06:48 PM

How about some pictures from 10 years ago and a map of ATM's from 1983?

Bajahowodd - 9-1-2016 at 04:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
How about some pictures from 10 years ago and a map of ATM's from 1983?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

UnoMas - 9-1-2016 at 04:50 PM

I agree with Bajahowodd, use only ATM's that are attached to a bank. If you have a problem with the transaction you will have someone to talk to. Been there with other ATM's and if you don't get your money the only way to resolve it is by contacting your bank NOB and can be a PITA if you are traveling.;)

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 9-2-2016 at 08:15 PM

hola,

a few years ago on a sunday, i used bancomer atm in los barriles and it ate my card and didn't give me any money. i went to see the manager on monday and he showed me and gave me my shredded card from the atm with no reason why it ate and shredded the card and didn't dispense any monies.

i try and use banamex machines as at the time, they didn't take the card internally, just swiped the card.

when i got back to los angeles, i went to my bank and asked for 5 new debit accounts. if that ever happened again, my wife would just transfer monies into one of the other accounts ( as i don't know how to do it ).

my point is, you may need a backup card as i do have now.

just saying. YA NEVA KNOW !

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT