BajaNomad

Crossing Northbound at Tecate

LancairDriver - 2-28-2014 at 12:04 PM

Crossed the border at Tecate Thursday 2-27, about 3:30pm.Virtually no one was in line so the wait should have been non existent. However, the Mexican Military has set up a checkpoint right in front of the US Customs gates. They had randomly placed orange rubber markers coming up to the gates that had no semblance of guides marking lanes. They insisted that I stay far right approaching with my 43ft RV pulling a Jeep. This ran me through the overhanging tree branches which amused them. They then "inspected" the RV, simply coming in and quickly exiting. One of them then stood in front of the vehicle and insisted that I enter the commercial truck entrance. Of course the US customs guy was not pleased by this but arranged to have someone come over and do an agricultural inspection. This was done by a very pleasant agent in no time, who said the Mexicans were up to something but didn't know what exactly seemed to be bothering them. Obviously this was some kind of harassment action. Hope this goes away quickly or was an isolated incident. This would really cause a mess during a busy time. The up side for me was that the commercial entrance and exit is a piece of cake compared to the other side.

David K - 2-28-2014 at 12:07 PM

Thank you for you report... How was the rest of your trip?

LancairDriver - 2-28-2014 at 12:25 PM

The rest of the trip was great. Went to Mulege first, then did the rounds of the beaches on Conception bay. Have not seen so many campers on the beaches in several years. Lots of Canadians and German tourists, some in large caravans of 25 or more. Had a fantastic cheeseburger at Mark and Olivia's place, they are right up there with In n Out burger. Then went out to Asuncion, and spent one night camping on the beach north of town. The road in was great, one small sand dune, no potholes and some of the best road we travelled for sure. Then headed for Guerro Negro and did the short Whale watch and then off to San Quintin and Ernesto's for a few days.
Generally left wondering how the Mexicans are surviving with virtually all prices for fuel and food on a par with US prices. I talked with workers in Mulege who were working for $5.50/day. I hope the increased tourism I saw translates to better conditions for them.

David K - 2-28-2014 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
The rest of the trip was great. Went to Mulege first, then did the rounds of the beaches on Conception bay. Have not seen so many campers on the beaches in several years. Lots of Canadians and German tourists, some in large caravans of 25 or more. Had a fantastic cheeseburger at Mark and Olivia's place, they are right up there with In n Out burger. Then went out to Asuncion, and spent one night camping on the beach north of town. The road in was great, one small sand dune, no potholes and some of the best road we travelled for sure. Then headed for Guerro Negro and did the short Whale watch and then off to San Quintin and Ernesto's for a few days.
Generally left wondering how the Mexicans are surviving with virtually all prices for fuel and food on a par with US prices. I talked with workers in Mulege who were working for $5.50/day. I hope the increased tourism I saw translates to better conditions for them.

Oh that is great... the rest of the story! Mark and Olivia are still serving great cheeseburgers in paradise! Is the hotel next door in complete ruins now or did El Mano Negro put any effort into fixing it instead of trying to steal Olivia's property next door?

LancairDriver - 2-28-2014 at 02:31 PM

Hotel is boarded up and looks abandoned. Building looks like it would have good possibilities with a little work.

dasubergeek - 2-28-2014 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Crossed the border at Tecate Thursday 2-27, about 3:30pm.Virtually no one was in line so the wait should have been non existent. However, the Mexican Military has set up a checkpoint right in front of the US Customs gates. They had randomly placed orange rubber markers coming up to the gates that had no semblance of guides marking lanes. They insisted that I stay far right approaching with my 43ft RV pulling a Jeep. This ran me through the overhanging tree branches which amused them. They then "inspected" the RV, simply coming in and quickly exiting. One of them then stood in front of the vehicle and insisted that I enter the commercial truck entrance. Of course the US customs guy was not pleased by this but arranged to have someone come over and do an agricultural inspection. This was done by a very pleasant agent in no time, who said the Mexicans were up to something but didn't know what exactly seemed to be bothering them. Obviously this was some kind of harassment action. Hope this goes away quickly or was an isolated incident. This would really cause a mess during a busy time. The up side for me was that the commercial entrance and exit is a piece of cake compared to the other side.

This was the case three weeks ago when I crossed at Tecate, too, though I only drive a 20' long pickup truck. :)

rts551 - 2-28-2014 at 03:36 PM

THey (the military) have been doing this for the last couple of years.

Udo - 2-28-2014 at 03:45 PM

When I crossed at Tecate this past Tuesday, 2/25, the line was up to the hill at 8:00 a.m.
What peeed me off was that the military guards were letting pick-ups with commercial plates, as well as 18 wheelers (with trailer or without) cut to the front of the line on the left lane.
I approached one of the guards and asked what was up with that?
They non-nonchalantly said that the 18 wheel rigs and commercial pickups (US or Mexican) were considered to be going to the US to obtain commercial cargo and then returning to Mexico.
I hope this does not become a trend!

(p.s. don't get any ideas, all you pick-up drivers, we are all in line together)

Whale-ista - 2-28-2014 at 04:19 PM

Interesting. I saw the commercial trucks being waved around the cars last week (75 minutes in line at 10 am- ouch!) While it's good to know my commercial plates might be good for something, I'd rather they install the Ready Lane as promised so we don't upset Udo and Co. :)

rts551 - 2-28-2014 at 08:23 PM

They are being sent to the commercial gate (the first set of gates you come to). Its always been that way.

Cliffy - 3-6-2014 at 07:45 AM

OK how do I find Mark and Olivia's place when I get there in a few weeks? As In n Out is my wife's favorite maybe she would like this place! :-)

Udo - 3-6-2014 at 09:08 AM

That entry gate has also been used many many times as a passenger inspection point also. And at times, the CBP has had all four gates open to anyone.

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
They are being sent to the commercial gate (the first set of gates you come to). Its always been that way.

CakedecT - 3-6-2014 at 09:49 AM

I crossed Tuesday morning at 730. Only took 15 minutes. Military was there just to direct the flow into the lines

Rumple - 3-6-2014 at 10:14 AM

When I went through Tecate last week I asked the agent what the status was for the Ready Lane. He told me that they intend to designate the truck lane for that use after 4pm. When I questioned him about the need for that lane after 4pm he just shrugged.

rts551 - 3-6-2014 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
That entry gate has also been used many many times as a passenger inspection point also. And at times, the CBP has had all four gates open to anyone.

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

yes, a couple of years ago they were doing that and restricting hours of commercial traffic. Agents tell me they are no longer allowing passenger traffic through the commercial lanes. too much commercial traffic.

LancairDriver - 3-6-2014 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy
OK how do I find Mark and Olivia's place when I get there in a few weeks? As In n Out is my wife's favorite maybe she would like this place! :-)

They are at the south end of Conception Bay at Playa Buenaventura. You can't miss it right on the beach. Wifi, friendly service, great burgers.

[Edited on 3-6-2014 by LancairDriver]