BajaNomad

Newbie question about topes and motorcycles

parkinsonsd - 3-2-2014 at 05:54 PM

I've never had the pleasure of going to baja, but was thinking I could swing a motrocycle drip down the peninsula, then I started reading and learning and found out about the speed bumps.

If you've gone done, is a standard (looking at a Honda Nighthawk) going to make it over the speed bumps or should I be looking at something more like a KLR. I'm not really into going off road that much, but I don't mind dirt roads and the like.

Problem is I've got half a continent to cross before I even get to baja.

And if you know, just how big are the topes?

Thanks alot.

Sandlefoot - 3-2-2014 at 05:55 PM

They fit under a VW!!

Come on down!!!

Happy Trails

Udo - 3-2-2014 at 06:03 PM

The "TOPES" have a varying degree of steepness...

Some are almost non-existent (really).
And others are really tall and wide.
It is hard to tell.
The FJ Cruiser makes it over any of them at 40 MPH, but my Prius bottoms out on the same ones.

KurtG - 3-2-2014 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by parkinsonsd
I've never had the pleasure of going to baja, but was thinking I could swing a motrocycle drip down the peninsula, then I started reading and learning and found out about the speed bumps.

If you've gone done, is a standard (looking at a Honda Nighthawk) going to make it over the speed bumps or should I be looking at something more like a KLR. I'm not really into going off road that much, but I don't mind dirt roads and the like.

Problem is I've got half a continent to cross before I even get to baja.

Thanks alot.

I have done dozens of round trips with various street bikes as well as my KLR with no problems. Street bikes have included a couple of CB750's, GS850g, XS1100, V65 Sabre, GSX1100g. Harleys with little clearance do the highway regularly.

[Edited on 3-3-2014 by KurtG]

parkinsonsd - 3-2-2014 at 06:10 PM

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

DENNIS - 3-2-2014 at 06:47 PM

Quote:

The question, after your trip, will change to, "How deep WAS that pothole?"

parkinsonsd - 3-2-2014 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

The question, after your trip, will change to, "How deep WAS that pothole?"

I'm from Michigan. What you consider a sink hole I consider Woodward Avenue.

topes and waco's

captkw - 3-2-2014 at 07:17 PM

Dennis got it mostly right ! after a rain its also how LONG is that pothole ??? never can tell till Ya do it !!:lol:

bajadogs - 3-2-2014 at 07:51 PM

Topes are not a problem on a KLR and it is probably the best bike for potholes and washouts and construction zones because of their HUGE suspension play.
U2U me if you wanna talk KLR Baja.

bajaguy - 3-2-2014 at 08:15 PM

I would worry more about vados than topes if i was on a bike

KasloKid - 3-2-2014 at 08:35 PM

Any time you're approaching a small village, town or city, expect at least three topes. One at each end of the town and one in the middle. Some towns have lots more. Some are hidden in the shade of a tree (they installed it there cuz there was shade!!!) so it's hard to see, some are painted yellow, some are not. As I said, expect them in every village. Once you launch off the first one, you'll remember to watch for the others :lol:
They're there to slow you down, as there are enforceable speed limits through towns... usually 20 kmph.
Out of the way village dogs love to chase bikes too!!! My son has scars to prove it....
Enjoy your time in Baja... wish I was there.....

Gulliver - 3-2-2014 at 10:26 PM

Lots of six cylinder Gold Wings down here. I saw a lowered Honda Accord up at San Javier last week. Just slow down to where you can avoid pot holes and never drive at night.

Pot hole Joke:
Stopped for a road repair crew in Louisiana, a motorist asks how bad the pot hole was. The flagger says, "We took a three pound bass out of this one and it was native."

Mike

willardguy - 3-2-2014 at 10:29 PM

brake hard as you approach the tope, loading the suspension. as you start to climb the tope grab a big handful, unload the suspension launching you skyward going into your best clicker, a small whip will make the kids go crazy! don't forget to hand out some steekers!;)

[Edited on 3-3-2014 by willardguy]

Gulliver - 3-2-2014 at 10:39 PM

I tried that once in my class B. The fridge unloaded all over the floor.

motoged - 3-3-2014 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
...a KLR ... is probably the best bike for potholes and washouts and construction zones because of their HUGE suspension play.....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Huge?????

C'mon.......;D;D;D

If a tope will keep someone from riding, they should take up lawn bowling....I hope this guy rides better than he spells.....:biggrin:

Parkinsonsd.....Baja riding is as good as you will find anywhere. The main highways have great new pavement on 90% of the highways....the rest is good pavement with some potholes in a few sections of Baja.

The non-paved roads are likely to be off-limits to you if you are concerned about topes (paved bumps). Ride Baja, eat tacos, and live to talk about it with that look in your eyes that a cat gets when it licks itself.....:cool:

Udo - 3-3-2014 at 06:45 PM

The worst topes I have run over:

1: Road from Vizcaino to Bahia Asunción
2: The topes in Bahia Asunción
3: The topes you go over as you cross into the US from Tecate (after the CBP checkpoint)

Most per capita topes in a municipality:
Buena Vista (East Cape)

Udo,you got the percapita down pat

bajadave1 - 3-4-2014 at 05:57 AM

Note my location, Wrong side of the arroyo's,too
:lol::lol::lol:

Udo - 3-4-2014 at 09:24 AM

Hey, Dave....

I would add Los Barriles too to my list, but most of your topes have a lot of sand before and after them, therefore they get diminished considerably.

vgabndo - 3-4-2014 at 11:35 AM

So Parky, that was only a moderate newbie thrashing for this forum! I hope you'll stick around and share your Baja experience. A speed bump is a speed bump in any language. A classic tope, gopher mound, was the row of baby moon hubcaps on steroids across city streets, and that is different and rare. Unless you hit a Baja tope at speed, it is no more an obstacle than in any WalMart parking lot.

Go real slow around animals...and get yourself a dual sport!:lol:

willardguy - 3-4-2014 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
...a KLR ... is probably the best bike for potholes and washouts and construction zones because of their HUGE suspension play.....

Huge?????

C'mon.......;D;D;D

If a tope will keep someone from riding, they should take up lawn bowling....I hope this guy rides better than he spells.....:biggrin:

Parkinsonsd.....Baja riding is as good as you will find anywhere. The main highways have great new pavement on 90% of the highways....the rest is good pavement with some potholes in a few sections of Baja.

The non-paved roads are likely to be off-limits to you if you are concerned about topes (paved bumps). Ride Baja, eat tacos, and live to talk about it with that look in your eyes that a cat gets when it licks itself.....:cool:
whoa... these bikes are more than just "huge" suspension, lets not forget the infamous "doohickey" and legendary shift levers,and .........:lol:

Like this?

durrelllrobert - 3-4-2014 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG

I have done dozens of round trips with various street bikes as well as my KLR with no problems. Street bikes have included a couple of CB750's, GS850g, XS1100, V65 Sabre, GSX1100g. Harleys with little clearance do the highway regularly.

durrelllrobert - 3-4-2014 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulliver
Lots of six cylinder Gold Wings down here. I saw a lowered Honda Accord up at San Javier last week. Just slow down to where you can avoid pot holes and never drive at night.

Pot hole Joke:
Stopped for a road repair crew in Louisiana, a motorist asks how bad the pot hole was. The flagger says, "We took a three pound bass out of this one and it was native."

Mike

There are no potholes on the new sections of MX-1now. They will be installing them very soon though.

willardguy - 3-4-2014 at 12:30 PM

now a big pothole on the back of a harley.....you'd have to ask Lee :lol:

David K - 3-4-2014 at 12:56 PM

Is the word TOPE (A speed bump installed to slow traffic in towns) also used for POT HOLEs (hole in highway or street caused by thin asphalt, weather and traffic)??

parkinsonsd - 3-4-2014 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:

That was totally uncalled for. Gonna go find me some pepto.

DENNIS - 3-4-2014 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Is the word TOPE (A speed bump installed to slow traffic in towns) also used for POT HOLEs (hole in highway or street caused by thin asphalt, weather and traffic)??

BACHE = POTHOLE.

bajadogs - 3-5-2014 at 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:

Huge?????

C'mon.......;D;D;D

whoa... these bikes are more than just "huge" suspension, lets not forget the infamous "doohickey" and legendary shift levers,and .........:lol:

Ouch!;D - I didn't say "huge suspension". I said "huge suspension play". Compared to other street legal bikes the KLR absorbs topes quite well. The original post compared a nighthawk to a KLR and I believe there is a HUGE advantage with the KLR. That's all. Maybe it's the way I used the word "huge"?

"That gal has HUGE hair!"

I'm sorry if it sounded like I thought a KLR650 was the greatest bike ever. I like mine... and my doohicky is done. Topes are things in the road that break up the boredom.

Peace

basautter - 3-5-2014 at 05:36 AM

I have logged many miles on bikes in Baja. You problem with speed bumps and topes will not be hitting bottom, it will be bottoming out the suspension if you hit either too fast. Watch for warning signs, pay attention to the road, don't go too fast and you will be fine. Have fun!

David K - 3-5-2014 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

BACHE = POTHOLE.

Thanks Dennis, as this is a thread on topes and motorcycles, I was wondering why so much talk about baches? Of course, baches can be worse than topes... but one man's bache is obviously another man's tope, yes?

parkinsonsd - 3-5-2014 at 10:16 AM

The nighthawk's got a 5.5" ground clearance (significantly less with my fat patooty on it.) My concern was bottoming out and wrecking the exhaust system, as it's a good chunk of change to replace and as they were last made in 2003, replacing them is getting more and more difficult.

I thank you all for your sincere, helpful and simultaneously contradictory advice.

[Edited on 3-5-2014 by parkinsonsd]

KurtG - 3-5-2014 at 10:50 AM

Quote:
The nighthawk's got a 5.5" ground clearance (significantly less with my fat patooty on it.) My concern was bottoming out and wrecking the exhaust system, as it's a good chunk of change to replace and as they were last made in 2003, replacing them is getting more and more difficult.

I thank you all for your sincere, helpful and simultaneously contradictory advice.

[Edited on 3-5-2014 by parkinsonsd]

In Oct. I rode to Mulege (see my "rehab ride" thread) on my old 1981 CB750c that has a Mac 4/1 system that rides pretty low and has less clearance than your Nighthawk. You'll be fine, in years past I rode a Suzuki GS850g on back roads all over Baja and with a little caution did just fine. Enjoy the ride! My first Baja ride was 40 years ago on a '73 CB750 and that ride is still fresh in my memory. I had an Auto Club map and a sleeping bag and not much more.

David K - 3-5-2014 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:

In Oct. I rode to Mulege (see my "rehab ride" thread) ...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=70025

Nye - 3-5-2014 at 12:09 PM

wet cobblestone with unmarked hazards at night, but toll rd rocks.