BajaNomad

We are in Los Barriles !THE END -WITH PHOTO UPDATE 3/10/14

BajaBlanca - 3-3-2014 at 10:27 PM

We decided to take a trip south and it all started in La Paz a couple days ago - we stayed at the new wing of the BAHIA DORADA hotel. The old part is not really safe - they have a step leading up to the bathroom. Dumb and Dangerous. But the new part has beautiful brand new rooms with no unsafe features for $400 pesos a night with one king size bed. The restaurant is decent - my favorite dish is the enchilada suiza:

In La Paz, we picked up 5 of the 6 kids who are going to college on scholarships and who are now in their second semester. (perhaps you remember their story from Christmas) DTBushpilot and wife Jill said they could host them for a weekend. These kids went to heaven and back. So did we for that matter:

I think everyone became a kid for a moment!

The kids have gone back to La Paz for tests and reality and we returned to Los Barriles to spend another week. Bajalorena rented us the cutest house, one house back from the beach and now we are here:

out on the beach today:

in town:

Los Barriles can really spoil you foodwise. So many good options. We ate a great hamburger at Tio Pablo and the famous chile rellenos at El Viejo

and just tonight we all went to the "ranch" for the safety meeting!

Les:

and me, before the margaritas arrived LOL

----------------------------------------------------------

Everything has been just spectacular ... the weather, the food and the company.

Thanks Jill and Dave, bajalorena. It ain't over yet but if I don't start writing, this will never get done properly.

[Edited on 3-10-2014 by BajaBlanca]

Mulegena - 3-3-2014 at 11:19 PM

Oh, man, how SWEET!!!

Good on all ya'all. Those kids are going to remember this weekend for a long, long, long time.

Thanks, everyone.

Udo - 3-4-2014 at 09:40 AM

Great photos, Blanca!

Isn't Dave's house terrific? Very vice hot tub!
Dave & Jill ARE superb hosts!

Thanks for the great photos!!

David K - 3-4-2014 at 09:43 AM

Lucky you! :bounce:

What's your VICE?

durrelllrobert - 3-4-2014 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Great photos, Blanca!

Isn't Dave's house terrific? Very vice hot tub!

A vice (British) or vise (American) is a mechanical apparatus used to secure an object to allow work to be performed on it.
Not something you would need in a hot tub. :lol::lol:

Osprey - 3-4-2014 at 10:38 AM

You got a nice selfie with the famous Tony Marrone, the longtime dispatchador at the resort. Great guy, good times at the Old Queen of Baja.

TMW - 3-4-2014 at 10:46 AM

Fun in the sun, love the beach. Thanks

toneart - 3-4-2014 at 11:16 AM

Hi Blanca!

I have spent many good times in Las Barriles. Good food to be found and that beach is great. Too windy though, but that is why it is one of the windsurfers' main destinations.

If you get a chance, drop by the RV park (can't remember the name right now...maybe East Cape RV Park?) just north of the main part of town, across the road from the beach side. It is really a lovely place. See if Theresa still owns it. She also built a great palapa for her mother there. The landscaping is beautiful and she has identified each plant with a plaque.

Tell Theresa "Hello". It's been a few years, but she should still remember me. I was the one who first inquired about eight years by email if she had WIFI. She did. I returned many times. Let me know.

Hi to Les.

Tony

I checked online. It is the East Cape RV Park. Located just at the north tip of town, before the arroyo, across the road from Martin Verdugo's RV Park.
When staying at the East Cape RV Park, you just walk across the road to the vast beach Blanca photographed. You walk right past Martin Verdugo's which is right on the beach.

The website says it still exists and that Theresa Comber is still indeed the owner. I hope it is still there. Not sure how old the website is. She will remember my dog, Paco. He used to play with her dog. See if Paul Heidtke and his daughter Kirsten is still there. He had a large Airstream in a permanent spot. He was the bug man who sprayed Mulege to keep the mosquitos down after a couple of the floods. He is a Rotarian.

[Edited on 3-4-2014 by toneart]

tiotomasbcs - 3-4-2014 at 01:43 PM

I recognize the seaside bar at Rancho Buena Vista and yes, Tony. Folks tell lots of stories of times past . Beautiful grounds and beach. Enjoy. Tio

bajajudy - 3-4-2014 at 01:54 PM

Head out to Sessions for something to eat and a kite board show(if there is wind)

Udo - 3-4-2014 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Great photos, Blanca!

Isn't Dave's house terrific? Very nice hot tub!

A nice (British) or vise (American) is a mechanical apparatus used to secure an object to allow work to be performed on it.
Not something you would need in a hot tub. :lol::lol:

Udo - 3-4-2014 at 02:12 PM

The two RV parks south of town are Costa Brava, and Martín Verdugo's. The east Cape RV park, is a ways south of town, plus there are two other empty "RV" parks that no one ever stays there.

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Hi Blanca!

I have spent many good times in Las Barriles. Good food to be found and that beach is great. Too windy though, but that is why it is one of the windsurfers' main destinations.

If you get a chance, drop by the RV park (can't remember the name right now...maybe East Cape RV Park?) just north of the main part of town, across the road from the beach side. It is really a lovely place. See if Theresa still owns it. She also built a great palapa for her mother there. The landscaping is beautiful and she has identified each plant with a plaque.

Tell Theresa "Hello". It's been a few years, but she should still remember me. I was the one who first inquired about eight years by email if she had WIFI. She did. I returned many times. Let me know.

Hi to Les.

Tony

windgrrl - 3-4-2014 at 03:14 PM

Welcome back to the east cape, BajaBlanca...I noticed the sun shone a little brighter lately!

LB RV Parks

windgrrl - 3-4-2014 at 03:19 PM

There's at least 5 RV parks on the immediate vicinity of Los Barriles:

Theresa Comber owns the lovely East Cape RV Resort which is is located in central Los Barriles, a few blocks north of Tio Pablo's. I think you would like her...she is a great community booster, too. Her mom's place is a beauty.

http://www.eastcaperv.com

Hope you have a wonderful time,
W

BajaBlanca - 3-4-2014 at 04:46 PM

Thanks for that link, I will definitely visit her. More photos later, today we went to a waterfall and tonight we watch a movie under the stars........heaven.

toneart - 3-6-2014 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Thanks for that link, I will definitely visit her. More photos later, today we went to a waterfall and tonight we watch a movie under the stars........heaven.

Blanca,

Did you see my post in this thread?

That was nice of Windgirl to post the link.

BajaBlanca - 3-6-2014 at 05:22 PM

I did see it! We stopped by and I met Theresa while she was working at her new recycling center - very busy and I will return to see garden ...thanks both Tony, windgirl et al for info.

I have some really neat photos.

bledito - 3-6-2014 at 08:49 PM

watch out for tony's margatitas two gals had two in feb when i was there and they couldn't walk after fell out all over the beach and puked, at least the gulls got fed. on anouther note a shame the condition the ranch fell into can imagine how nice it once was.

BajaBlanca - 3-6-2014 at 08:58 PM

we had one margarita and we were fine! after that we went to Tio Pablo's for dinner

Life is great !

windgrrl - 3-6-2014 at 09:26 PM

Time for you to go to Pisces Restaurant. It's behind Chapito's Supermercado just before you enter Chapito's rear parking lot. Also look try El Viejo for lunch and Campestre Triny for supper...just past Smokey's on the way to east Cape RV. Smokey's is fun, too. The Bayview at the Palmas de Cortez for lunch or supper on the deck can be really nice, too.

Glad you got to check out recycling day!

Cheers,
W

BajaBlanca - 3-6-2014 at 09:49 PM

Here are the champions of the recycling project:

and here is what a difference they are making - this is one week of stuff:

and if you are south and headed north, help out by carrying vacuum packed plastic:

visited floatflyer and wife Wendy today ! So fun!

and check out the view of the ocean from their home:

and if one must do dishes ... wow:

recycling in Cabo Pulmo -very impressive indeed:

This is how we are getting around since we have some wonderful amigos who are lending it to us ((((:

YESTERDAY

we went to a waterfall, but first we stopped by Lazy Daze

Blanca ready as can be:

the pristine waters:

We have been having the most wonderful experiences....meeting Ford and Wendy was a real treat! Tomorrow we are going to head over to La Ribera with our friend Jerry from Mulege as well as David (DTBushpilot) and hopefully meet Osprey and have lunch at an RV park with a good restaurant owned by someone called Mike O"Dell.

Life is good, real good.

W- we have eaten at el Viejo and tio Pablos and last time we ate at palmas and yes, it was beautiful. that leaves us pisces and campestre (((:

Kgryfon - 3-6-2014 at 11:44 PM

Nice Pictures! Looks like you are having a grand time!

bledito - 3-7-2014 at 06:22 AM

i see my dam is still intact until the next rains. water level is a few inches deeper.

Marc - 3-7-2014 at 08:08 AM

I have not been in Los Barriles since 1979. One of the Verdugo brothers cooked lobster for new a years eve party. At the stroke of 12 the locals pulled out their .45's and blasted away.
I google earthed the town. The air strip is no more?

BajaBlanca - 3-7-2014 at 08:49 AM

Marc, this is such a big town that there must be an airstrip.....as a matter of fact, Les is pretty sure he heard Ford aka floatflyer on nomad, mention one to us yesterday.

Guaranteed you will not recognize Los Barriles ... My husband was here in 84 and he says these were not even towns, they were one road villages.

windgrrl - 3-7-2014 at 09:00 AM

The closest thing to gunshot is now fireworks. The old LB air strip is now part of the Palmas de Cortez golfing complex. The odd helicopter still lands there. The nearest strip is Punta Pescadero.

Udo - 3-7-2014 at 09:06 AM

I will second the Campestre Triny...lunch or dinner.
They Have the best chile relleno we've had in Baja.

Also, there is a small minimall next door to the supermarket where they have available some REALLY NICE nautical decorations. They are a little pricey, but negotiable.

cliffh - 3-7-2014 at 09:15 AM

Hey Les and Blanca, wish we were home instead of YUMA for 2 nights. Had great trip up through Cocos corner, 3 1/2 hours to beginning of asphalt. Glad we didn't pull 5th wheel, it would have been toast. Keep the ice rotated at the ranch. fun times C&C

Floatflyer - 3-7-2014 at 01:46 PM

No more runways in Los Barriles. Was one by Buena Vista but was finally abandoned after another hurricane washed part of away.

Palmas de Cortez had a runway parallel to the water between the hotel and the highway, where the "golf course" is now. Ahh, the good ole days.

Nearest runway is probably Punta Pescadero, paved, or Punta Colorada, dirt, maybe closed as the hotel is.

Pacifico - 3-7-2014 at 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
I will second the Campestre Triny...lunch or dinner.
They Have the best chile relleno we've had in Baja.

Also, there is a small minimall next door to the supermarket where they have available some REALLY NICE nautical decorations. They are a little pricey, but negotiable.

I'll third Campestre! Haven't had a bad meal there yet!

Where is Lazy Daze? Looks like a cool watering hole....

BajaBlanca - 3-7-2014 at 09:04 PM

Lazy Daze is on the beach .... headed north and after exotikite if I am not mistaken. Owned by Rexy and she is on facebook. Such a fun place to sit and chat, the bloody marys are bloody good, the restrooms are very clean and there is a volleyball net. We will be there manana and I promise to take more photos.

I don't believe we will have time for Campestre which only means we have another reason to come back.

C and C, we really miss you and mention your name every day at the safety meeting.

Udo, El Viejo is now making shrimp stuffed chiles rellenos that are verrrrrrrrrrrry good. Only on Mondays and Fridays.

no runways here, what a loss.

Here is what we did today AFTER we left Trinidad (which is in a separate thread):

We met the one and only OSPREY and his nice wife Lynda!

We were given a complete tour of their cute home .... and Jorge truly is Mexicano through and through, he has only been back to the States once in the last 20 years and that was only for 2 days to sign up for social security! A mazing. Thanks for sharing your life and house with us, senor Jorge, we were honored to be in your presence.

From their house we went down the dusty road and ended up in another version of paradise - rancho leonero resort:

Our good friend Jerry who is a lurker here on nomad has been with us for the last couple days:

This about sums up how I felt all day today:

From lunch we rode back to where we are staying, the boys took a long nap while I piddled around facebook and posted pics here. Then we dragged ourselves over to the clubhouse at Buena Vista rancho for a 5 pm "safety meeting":

looked over to where we had spent the morning:

and had some refreshments, of course:

This pic didn't come out too good but I am sure you get the drift of how this day ended:

and that's all for today folks, we have eaten our pasta and broccoli dinner, we have even had ice cream provided by amigo Jerry (which Les says gives him permission to hang around another day LOL), and since we cannot get ice cream in La Bocana, I am even mas feliz if that is even possible (((:

Barbareno - 3-8-2014 at 04:30 AM

By the looks on your faces you are having the time of your life. Fun following you around.

FLOAT FLYER

captkw - 3-8-2014 at 04:54 AM

sadly FOR 10 YRS OR SO THE STRIP HAS BEEN TURN INTO A GOLF /PUTTING GREEN...DUE TO THE CIA......cocaine internatial avation...they in the BS war on drugs have gotten a nother player out of there way.....

Osprey - 3-8-2014 at 05:19 AM

Blanca, Les, Jerry, thanks for stopping it our little Osprey nest in this off the beaten path fishing village. It was great meeting you and I hope you've found lots of great reasons to come back to East Cape so we can have more good times. You're the kind of charitable Nomads that make us proud to use the name.

P.S. Up early now cause it's a fishing day. It's also egg salad sandwich day. I'm making three for the boat as my capitan loves em, Lynda is making 12 for the area vets who are holding a free spay/neuter clinic here today. Funny thing > she hates em, has never eaten one but the Mexican vets think are haute cuisine.

[Edited on 3-8-2014 by Osprey]

BajaBlanca - 3-8-2014 at 07:36 AM

I knew Lynda was special! Good on her and one day I would love to eat one of her sandwiches (((:

Have a wonderful day fishing.....pls let us know what you caught and while I eat my egg salad sandwich next time, take Les fishing, he brings good luck. I caught a dorado my very first time out.

Marc - 3-8-2014 at 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Floatflyer
No more runways in Los Barriles. Was one by Buena Vista but was finally abandoned after another hurricane washed part of away.

Palmas de Cortez had a runway parallel to the water between the hotel and the highway, where the "golf course" is now. Ahh, the good ole days.

Nearest runway is probably Punta Pescadero, paved, or Punta Colorada, dirt, maybe closed as the hotel is.

The runway I remember must have been the Palmas de Cortez. My wife would run back and forth on it in the morning. I will look for old photos of the place and post them soon. WoW! 35 years ago!!

The last days

BajaBlanca - 3-10-2014 at 10:20 AM

Our friend Tuly came to spend 2 days with us. Her husband, Guero Verdugo (the current representative/diputado for the Mulege district), has been very helpful and supportive of all the projects I have and I wanted to retribute in a small way, so we invited her to come. He travels much and was not available.

Then we got ready to go to the waterfall and on the way introduced her to Lazy Daze. Thanks to Jill and Dave for introducing us to this spot!

Jerry took a minute to win a pool game:

and the wonderful waters of the waterfall:

From the waterfalls, we went to El Viejo for fish and shrimp tacos which left us with the other places to eat at next time we come back ....I did not take pics. of lunch or dinner - and dinner was at the "Ranch" where on Saturdays, you take whatever you want grilled and they grill it for you. We had T-bone and chicken and NY steaks as well as salad and dessert. Too busy talking and eating for pics (not true, I forgot the ipad LOL).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, I was interviewed for a radio program in Idaho by the lovely Alexandra, who is known as the ATTITUDE DOCTOR and refers to herself as a stretch rather than a shrink. With a PhD in psychology, she is the author of books on feelings and just a remarkable human. An awesome way to start the morning:

After that I hunted for and found the Spa Buena Vista for Tuly ran in the marathon supporting the Guild which provides high school scholarships for deserving local kids.

some views as I walked to the beach where the marathon was held:

the volleyball net in the pool seems like a great idea:

and finally I ran into Tuly:

From the race, we went back to our rental, packed and Jerry and Tuly went ahead of us while Les and I waited for Lorraine to come by.

From Los Barriles, I was excited to visit the famous EL TRIUNFO CAFFE and I am so glad we stopped by - it is incredible and because there was also an arts and crafts expo, far too busy for Les but we grabbed some goodies to go.

On the way to the café:

Outside the café, which is one block to the left of the main road if you are headed from East Cape to La Paz. Take the road headed left,next to the school:

the ceiling:

one wall:

I think this is the owner.....he really didn't smile once.....kind of surprising since he was making a mint - the place was packed:

we bought stollen to go and it was really delicious:

Who would ever imagine that there would be a European style bakery in El Triunfo? We also bought a cheese garlic bread that was good. They have wood fired pizzas and the special of the day was enchiladas .... for sure we will go back when it is not quite so busy.

and that folks, is the end of the East Cape Capers by this couple. Now we are in La Paz and that calls for another separate thread. Have a great day, wherever you are and whatever you are doing. Carpe Diem!

[Edited on 3-10-2014 by BajaBlanca]

chinolbz - 3-10-2014 at 10:28 PM

Paul or Dr. Pablo of East Cape RV Resort sadly passed away March or early April of 2013. He is missed by all of us! Chino

windgrrl - 3-11-2014 at 09:33 AM

Great trip report and photos especially the baked goods!

Udo - 3-11-2014 at 09:42 AM

That is what the locals thought when I cooked macaroni and cheese and BBQ'd some lobsters for New Year's eve for dinner. Albeit, the macaroni and cheese had a mixture of 12 cheeses. There was nothing left, and one local, who donated some of the lobsters, took home 4 servings to give to the kids who were in bed at eating time.

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
... It's also egg salad sandwich day. I'm making three for the boat as my capitan loves em, Lynda is making 12 for the area vets who are holding a free spay/neuter clinic here today. Funny thing > she hates em, has never eaten one but the Mexican vets think are haute cuisine.

[Edited on 3-8-2014 by Osprey]

David K - 3-11-2014 at 09:42 AM

Wonderful report and fun times! Thank you Blanca and Les!