BajaNomad

Found, 2 Kayaks, Near San Ignacio

RaicesVivas - 3-4-2014 at 09:15 AM

A ranchero friend found two kayaks that had blown off a truck near San Ignacio recently and is looking for the owners. Please contact me if you have any information about the owners.
Thank you.

Cypress - 3-4-2014 at 12:19 PM

They must have been in one heck-uv-a hurry.:D

Pompano - 3-4-2014 at 12:32 PM

Reminds me of when we found a yellow kayak on the road into Pta. Chivato in 1983. We put up notices around town and kept it at the old Chivato hotel for a year, but never heard from anybody. As far as I know, it's still there. ;)

Hope you have better luck on this one.

Martyman - 3-4-2014 at 02:39 PM

I once lost a Coleman lantern off the roof rack.

Bob53 - 3-4-2014 at 02:59 PM

I once lost 1,000,000 brain cells at Cielito lindo.

55steve - 3-4-2014 at 03:10 PM

You must have attempted to have a 4th margarita!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob53
I once lost 1,000,000 brain cells at Cielito lindo.

Bob53 - 3-4-2014 at 03:12 PM

I think I had 5 and a couple shots. I have no idea how I got back to camp.

BajaBlanca - 3-4-2014 at 04:43 PM

Those margaritas at cielito will really do a number on you!

chuckie - 3-4-2014 at 05:00 PM

I have lost a number of wives....

shando - 3-5-2014 at 08:44 AM

I could sure use a couple kayaks next month when my kids come down

vgabndo - 3-5-2014 at 12:17 PM

Even a couple of roto SOT's would be worth 800-1000 bucks. What would cause a guy to not turn around and backtrack?:?:

Bwana_John - 3-5-2014 at 04:26 PM

I know a couple of guys that lost a 18 ft boat and trailer off the back of the truck on Mex 1 without noticing it was gone until they got out at the next checkpoint.

They drove all the way back to the last checkpoint where they were pretty sure they still had it attached, but never found it.

Ive seen plastic rotomolded SOT kayaks get up and fly 75 yards in gusty winds all on their own, I could easily see not being able to find them if you did not notice them liberating themselfs from the roof rack.

chuckie - 3-5-2014 at 04:37 PM

Several of my ex wives could easily fly 75 yards, if they had the right broom

RnR - 3-5-2014 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Even a couple of roto SOT's would be worth 800-1000 bucks. What would cause a guy to not turn around and backtrack?:?:

Five margaritas and a couple of shots.......

MMc - 3-5-2014 at 09:40 PM

Of all things I lost, it's my mind I miss the most:lol:
If they are not claimed would they be willing to sell them? My last yak is well over $1500.00 now. Fishing gear not included.

woody with a view - 3-6-2014 at 06:42 AM

one time i looked at my shadow on the road as i was driving and almost crapped. out near pedregoso my boards weren't up there any more. i stopped to get out and look cuz i didn't believe it! i drove faster than i ever have back north about 10 miles all the while looking over the cliffs and my wife freaking out. as i was about to give up i came around a bend and there was 2 cars parked in the road with 3 guys fighting the 40 mph winds loading my boards in their cars. long story short, i pulled the boards from their trunks and they helped me load them onto my roof again in the wind with one guy laying on them up there, holding onto the racks while i tied them on so the wind wouldn''t blow them away. they were heading to GN to fish and said they were going to sell the boards in town when they got there. i wished them many fish and said goodbye.

i still have my favorite board of the two....

[Edited on 3-6-2014 by woody with a view]

pappy - 3-6-2014 at 01:42 PM

yep. some friends stopped for gas el rosario. i don't recall exactly if it was there they realized they lost a board of the roof rack, or when they got to abreojos when they realized it. either way it does happen.

my friend use to work at yater's surf shop back in the 70's. he was know to fly out the door at quiting time, throw his board up on his racks and burn rubber, all in a rush to hit the surf beofr dark. many, many times he burned out, losing his board in process because he was in such a hurry he would fequently forget to strap the board down!

bajadogs - 3-6-2014 at 02:59 PM

A few years ago after a wind stormy night my daughter found a kayak at the south end of Bahia de Los Angeles. She towed it in shallow water all the way back to the house we were visiting a mile or so away. It was a nice Hobie 1-person yak. We sent out a message over the marine band radio. I checked the hatch and the only thing in it was a small life jacket with the name Abigail written on the back.
A couple days later after no word back I rode my moto into town to ask at the police station if anyone had reported a missing kayak. Big mistake. The police followed me in their truck all the way back out to the south end of the bay and loaded up the kayak and drove off.
The very next day a young American couple pulled up and described the kayak hoping we still had it. Apparently the wind had taken it from Dagget’s as they watched it through binoculars head straight out to sea. By morning it had blown down to the south end near the dirt runway.
I told them to check the police station. After a while I decided to go into town to see if they needed help. The man seemed frustrated and said the police were giving him a hard time and he had lost hope that he would get it back. BOLA’s finest changed their tune a little bit when I pointed out the officers who picked up kayak. That’s when I finally saw a young girl in the back seat of the gringo truck. I reminded her father that Abigail’s life jacket was still in the hatch. Her mom handed Abigail’s passports to dad who rushed back into the office. In less than 2 minutes 6 policemen were loading that kayak onto the gringo truck.
So there.

Paula - 3-6-2014 at 05:13 PM

This thread just stuns me!

Last time we drove south, a metal oil barrel came off the back of a CFE work truck outside of San Ignacio. I saw it through the windshield of the car in front of me, and if the car had been driving faster it probably would have come through the glass. I've also seen plastic chairs come off the back of pick-ups.

We've driven from Montana to Baja with Kayaks on the luggage rack. We tie them down, and none has eve loosened. We put 14 ft long yaks in the back of the pick-up to go to our favorite lauch sites, and we've never lost one. We tether them in with good webbing and good knots.

Don't you people tie your stuff down??? Hope to never be driving behind any of you with your toys!

Woody, I hope you bought those guys a beer! REally nice of them to do that for you!

Paulina - 3-6-2014 at 06:57 PM

I watched a brand new - in the box - washing machine come off of a flat bed trailer this afternoon on my way home from work. It did one tumble and slid through two lanes, ending up in the center divider. It's a good thing that traffic was light. The car in front of me swerved around it, I followed suit. The driver of the pick up just keep toodling along. I did my best to flash my lights at him to get his attention, but he just kept right on trucking. There weren't any tie downs on the trailer. He must have assumed it was heavy enough to stay put.

He's not going to be happy when he gets home.

P>*)))>{

woody with a view - 3-6-2014 at 09:28 PM

sorry Paula, i've done my share of helping out those who needed it. those guys didn't need it. i did, and there wasn't a cantina withing 30 miles~~~~

in my mind they tell a story of a crazy gringo who wrestled surfboards in the desert, but brought them their best luck fishing!

Paula - 3-6-2014 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
sorry Paula, i've done my share of helping out those who needed it. those guys didn't need it. i did, and there wasn't a cantina withing 30 miles~~~~

in my mind they tell a story of a crazy gringo who wrestled surfboards in the desert, but brought them their best luck fishing!

Good enough, Woody!