BajaNomad

What is most dangerous?

Paula - 3-6-2014 at 09:05 PM

which is scarier-- Bicycles on the highway or things flying off of trucks and cars?:?:

There have been several threads over time here about how bicycle riders endanger our safety on Mex Hwy 1, and people are outraged about those who choose this method of travel, subjecting us innocentes to the danger of head-ons with semis on a blind curve, or opportunities to go for the little guy--- off the edge of a cliff.

But on the thread about kayaks found by the side of the road that had apparently blown off of a vehicle there are several posts about how some of us had lost this and that-- gas cans, kayaks, etc to wind while driving down the highway. And it seems like that is all in good fun, part of the sport of going down the road.
I've often been behind a load of this or that, wondering if I would manage to pass (hopefully without endangering any sweet little bicyclists) before some large piece of flotsam came through my windshield.

So I ask, Nomads, what is the greater threat?

woody with a view - 3-6-2014 at 09:22 PM

if you have to be so close to the rig in front of you to get a good look at all that crap on the truck, maybe your reflexes need to be able to avert contact when a curio goes flying..... just saying!

Paula - 3-6-2014 at 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
if you have to be so close to the rig in front of you to get a good look at all that crap on the truck, maybe your reflexes need to be able to avert contact when a curio goes flying..... just saying!

Well, I'm farsighted.

woody with a view - 3-6-2014 at 10:01 PM

:saint:

TMW - 3-6-2014 at 10:25 PM

Danger lurks from everywhere none are anybetter then the other. That said always be careful when approching another vehicle be it bike or car or semi especially on a curve. With the new roads being wider it will reduce the problem and that I am thankfull for.

mtgoat666 - 3-6-2014 at 11:12 PM

Slow down
Share the road

Secure your load

David K - 3-7-2014 at 01:26 AM

HIT THE BRAKES!!! :lol::lol::lol:

grace59 - 3-7-2014 at 07:06 AM

Well, if I had to choose one over the other I would say that I worry more about the crap that falls off of other vehicles. I can control when, where, how I pass a bike or a slow vehicle, but I have no control on how well someone ties down their load and when something might bounce out and possible ruin my day!

bajabuddha - 3-7-2014 at 07:41 AM

Sowwy, but a spandex sporting lycra loving pedal pusher is a menace constantly, and every time he's on the road. A lost load happens only once (unless you're a REAL dummy) and yes, causes wrecks, but compared to the number of loads that don't come off.... but i'm not opinionated.
:rolleyes: ;)

BajaBlanca - 3-7-2014 at 07:41 AM

Both are muy bad, but I have to concur with Grace.

rhintransit - 3-7-2014 at 08:29 AM

hum…I'd go with something flying off someone's vehicle.
then there's the case of my sister/brother in law. who were doing a long distance tandem bicycle trip (in the USA, they say they'd never consider Mex 1) when they were struck by an awning which came loose from an RV passing them.

watizname - 3-7-2014 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransit
hum…I'd go with something flying off someone's vehicle.
then there's the case of my sister/brother in law. who were doing a long distance tandem bicycle trip (in the USA, they say they'd never consider Mex 1) when they were struck by an awning which came loose from an RV passing them.

Wow, just goes to show you:
When your number is called it doesn't matter where you are or what you're doing. The piper WILL be paid.

vgabndo - 3-7-2014 at 10:17 AM

Having been hit by flying debris, I'm with Grace. The Baja highway requires an extra degree of defensiveness, so I've not had close calls with cyclists. (except once during some kind of organized disorganization where I encountered a dozen white women without luggage pushing their bicycles up a steep grade as though they were bumper proof.)

When the approaching bottom dump truck full of rock passed me on a tight corner near Tecate, I watched the softball sized stone roll off the load and come straight for my forehead! The big crack is there, but luckily my $500. deductible is still in my empty wallet.:o

DENNIS - 3-7-2014 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula

What is most dangerous?

which is scarier-- Bicycles on the highway or things flying off of trucks and cars?:?:

That's like asking, "Which is more dangerous/scary? The bullet or the knife?"

mtgoat666 - 3-7-2014 at 11:25 AM

As a bicyclist, the scariest thing on mexican roads is nomad bike haters. Seems like every other nationality respects bikes, and for some reason some gringos got this illogical anger toward bikes.

slow down
share the road
or stay home

Paula - 3-7-2014 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grace59
Well, if I had to choose one over the other I would say that I worry more about the crap that falls off of other vehicles. I can control when, where, how I pass a bike or a slow vehicle, but I have no control on how well someone ties down their load and when something might bounce out and possible ruin my day!

I completely agree, Grace!

Santiago - 3-7-2014 at 01:18 PM

Once had a 5' steel digger bar fall off a CFE truck in front of us; cartwheeling in my lane. I and my 3 passengers started screaming as our truck passed over it. Never touched us but in the rear view mirror it was still bouncing and took out the guys grill behind me.
CFE guys never slowed down.

Hook - 3-7-2014 at 01:28 PM

Have to side with Grace, too. I cant recall an instance where a cyclist endangered ME while driving my rig. I have no problem driving REAL slow behind them until the opportunity to pass presents itself. But some people just cant slow down. They get in this "gotta get there" mentality and they are incensed when they actually have to go slower than 50 mph.

But I have witnessed stuff flying off the back of vehicles in Baja, especially trailers.

[Edited on 3-7-2014 by Hook]

vgabndo - 3-7-2014 at 01:48 PM

Or last week following a friend's back into town into the sunset, with bad visibility, I see simultaneous flashes of water vapor/droplets from both his windows, and immediately two spinning, warm beer spewing, red missiles come by the sides of my truck! Ah, Baja. :lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 3-7-2014 by vgabndo]

sancho - 3-7-2014 at 03:54 PM

I don't consider any one person/site an authority on the
Peninsula, but this piece off www.bajainsider.com, is by
a couple who bicycled Baja, looks like they got on pavement
Chapala/La Paz, a couple of their quotes include, 'quite safe',
'we have every legal right to be on the road', 'obligation
to show respect by sharing the road', ' the vast majority of
motorists we encountered were respectful':

A Bicycling Guide to the Baja California Peninsula

Sheila & Kai of 2cycle2gether.com in Baja.

I first encountered BajaInsider.com while searching for information about the quality of Baja roads beyond the reach of pavement. I needed information specific to two-wheeled travel and not of the motorized kind. You see, my chosen mode of transport for tackling Baja was the bicycle.

Background

In the late winter of 2012, my partner Sheila and I were new to Baja but not to bicycle touring. We’d already crossed a good chunk of the United States by bicycle from our home in northern Vermont and were right in the midst of a self-supported, around-the-world cycling attempt. For the Baja leg of our trip, we were interested in breaking up our ride between less used roads and the familiar Highway 1. As I searched the online Baja-related forums for cycling-specific data, I found all to be pretty silent on the topic of bicycle touring in Baja.

We found ourselves increasingly relying on the trip-logs of other cyclists; touring folks whose own rides had preceded us. This worked fine, but I still found myself wishing that cycling had a presence on at least one of the online Baja forums, if for no other reason than to inform drivers of our presence. In order to further that cause and to benefit future cyclists and motorists alike, I wrote this article for BajaInsider.

Our Route in a Nutshell

After a long day of cycling we finally wrestled our fully loaded touring bicycles up over the mountains from San Diego and crossed into Baja, Mexico at Tecate. Our freewheeling route south from here would wind a circuitous route along Highway 3 to Highway 1 and Ensenada, then Highway 3 up over the mountains to connect with Highway 5 toward San Felipe and then onward to Bahia de Gonzaga, the remaining unpaved section taking us to Chapala where we would once again connect with Highway 1 toward La Paz and beyond. By the time of our arrival in the Baja California Sur city of Ciudad Constitucion we had experienced the best and worst that Baja has to offer the touring cyclist. Resting up here was when I finally felt qualified to provide some insight on the in’s and out’s of riding a heavy loaded touring bicycle along the Baja peninsula.

Ride a bike in Baja? Are you CRAZY?

Please allow me to clear up two myths:

First, with only a few exceptions that I detail below, cycling in Baja is totally feasible, quite safe and very worthwhile.

Share with:

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email Share on print More Sharing Services 17

Second, for those unfamiliar with bicycle riding it might be helpful to note that cycling in general is an inherently safe and pleasurable way to get around.

I realize that this information may come as a surprise to many, particularly to those folks who might be scared of Mexico and who perhaps view the bicycle as something of a toy and/or the people who ride them as a menace. I can count on one hand, however, the number of folks we met in Baja who shook their heads at what they viewed as our recklessness and/or stupidity. Along these lines, the most memorable comment was uttered by a graying Caucasian gentleman who came right out and told us that it was, “…just a matter of time before we killed someone.” While he couldn’t have been further from the truth (the last we checked cyclists don’t kill people, motorists do) his comment points to the disconnect present in the minds of some people. Let’s not lose sight of the fact that cyclists were here before cars, we have every legal right to be on the road, and we’ll be around long after cars are gone. And, as such, we all have an obligation to show respect by sharing the road.

Readers should know too, that the vast majority of motorists we encountered were super respectful of us. Plus the people we met off of our bikes were also wonderfully caring and considerate. For all the bad rap that has been laid on Mexico recently (particularly regarding narco-related violence), we didn’t encounter any violence during our time in Baja.

The Webzine for Traveling and Living in Baja California ©2003-2014 Desert Digital LLC
Cabo San Lucas, BCS •

DavidE - 3-7-2014 at 05:11 PM

Saw a biker as I topped a rise outside of Guerrero Negro Monday. I knew instantly he must have been a "Star Trek" fan...

He camouflaged himself and his bike + panniers so well he damned near achieved invisibility of a Klingon Cloaking Device.

This is cool? Black bike, dark gray pants and hoodie. Drk gray helmet. No reflectors, no pennant? No mirrors and positively...........no.........common sense.

One itty-bitty mistake, he rides my fender, and I will get to know the ministerio publico better than I had ever thought I could.

Yeah some cyclist are smart wearing fluorescent vests and flying a fluorescent pennant.

But the first one, the chameleon is either type A or Type B

a) STUPID

b) ARROGANT

There is no "c)"

David K - 3-7-2014 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
As a bicyclist, the scariest thing on mexican roads is nomad bike haters. Seems like every other nationality respects bikes, and for some reason some gringos got this illogical anger toward bikes.

slow down
share the road
or stay home

No such thing (I would bet)... Nomads hate death, injury, ruining ones vacation because of stupid or dangerous and selfish acts that also puts others at risk.

Bikes in Baja are cool WHERE IT IS SAFE... which is all roads with a paved shoulder that allows a bike to stay out of the vehicle portion of the highway. Also all dirt roads are cool for bikes anytime... except maybe during a SCORE or Mexican run Off Road race!?

So, the places where it isn't safe or sane to ride a bike would be south of Km. 0, San Quintin, except where they have widened the 1973 highway, and any other highways under 20 feet wide that has blind curves.

Here is when I calmly passed by a bicycling family on Hwy. 1 north of Punta Prieta... no problem, I didn't run them off the road. I am happy I didn't come upon them in the hilly section with no room to pass, however. Photo taken by Baja Angel, October, 2005 on our way to visit with Mike and Mary Ann Humfreville...

A nice visit...

There is just no shoulder on a lot of Hwy. 1 in the center of the peninsula...

Maybe this fellow lost his life on this curve because he had to miss hitting some eco-tourists on bikes?...

So, no we don't hate bikes... we even have bikes ourselves... We are just mature enough to no risk other life over our brief wants or wild ideas.

Lee - 3-7-2014 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
So, no we don't hate bikes... we even have bikes ourselves... We are just mature enough to no risk other life over our brief wants or wild ideas.

Thanks for remembering Hector. I've always wondered his story and never stop to check out his shrine. 22 y.o. and his truck pieces tell his story.

mtgoat666 - 3-7-2014 at 06:32 PM

Quote:

Bikes in Baja are cool WHERE IT IS SAFE... which is all roads with a paved shoulder that allows a bike to stay out of the vehicle portion of the highway.

Dk: you were not paying attention in traffic school. Bikes are legal vehicles with right to use the roads. :light:

bajabuddha - 3-7-2014 at 06:34 PM

My point exactly, debris is accidental. Pedal pushers are a decision to put others at risk. They damned near killed me this winter, i'll take the risk of flotsam.

David K - 3-7-2014 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Bikes in Baja are cool WHERE IT IS SAFE... which is all roads with a paved shoulder that allows a bike to stay out of the vehicle portion of the highway.

Dk: you were not paying attention in traffic school. Bikes are legal vehicles with right to use the roads. :light:

You see, this is where you get confused... BAJA CALIFORNIA is NOT in the United States.

1973's Mexico Highway 1 was NOT constructed with Bicycle use at all in mind. Sorry, that is just the way it was. We (who are old enough to remember those years) are somewhat amazed that the widening to include a safe bike riding portion has taken nearly 40 years to begin, and still is a long way from being complete. The Mexican government said the 19 ft. wide, shoulderless construction was the only way to expedite the completion and they would "soon" be widening that 300 mile mid section... :lol: I know this is weird for you who put so much faith in a federal government... that we all were lied to... :o

[Edited on 3-8-2014 by David K]

bajabuddha - 3-7-2014 at 06:57 PM

Goathead's obviously a bike rider. I'm obviously not. Hope we don't meet on the highway. The 'right' to ride does not outweigh common BLEEPING sense.

Paula - 3-8-2014 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Goathead's obviously a bike rider. I'm obviously not. Hope we don't meet on the highway. The 'right' to ride does not outweigh common BLEEPING sense.

I'm all for cyclists who ride as safely as possible and people with enough common sense to tie their loads down so they stay put!

brewer - 3-8-2014 at 10:03 PM

Quote:

slow down
share the road
or stay home

Also a bicyclist. Well said Goat.

mcfez - 3-9-2014 at 11:04 PM

Bicyclist do indeed the the same right of the road. Do I like it. Hell no.

Perhaps some of us with the fat wide trucks can switch over to VW bugs that are narrower.....would be a good solution :o

The only fear that I have of The Baja is driving the Mex 1 and having to deal with the Bicyclist. Can't believe the last guy I passed wasn't hit.

Paula - 3-10-2014 at 10:50 AM

Just yesterday a cooler lid came flying at us from the back of a pickup south of Loreto. We were very happy that the tall fridge standing upright and unsecured stayed put!

motoged - 3-10-2014 at 11:11 AM

David K,
I don't know why Hector killed himself driving....but it is a bit creepy to speculate his death was due to a bicyclist....using his name in vain kinda thing...

I agree that some bicyclists have put themselves and some of us at risk....and I curse them at times ....let's just let Hector RIP and not use him here.

Pompano - 3-10-2014 at 11:30 AM

While I have encountered many, many bicyclists on Baja 1 since it opened, I've never once had any serious conflict with them. However, I am a little concerned about their judgment when I see a baby trailer.

On the other hand, on this 'What is the most dangerous?' subject...I've had quite a few major accidents with things falling off vehicles on the road.

- A steel beam fell off a poorly-loaded semi on a California freeway (I-5) right in front of me... and ruined all 6 tires of my motorhome. Cost of wrecker and everything to get going again was $1800.

And I've come to the conclusion my windshields are cursed. Over the years: a sugar beet in MN, a mule deer in Colorado, a mallard greenhead in ND, several roadkill buzzards in Baja, etc, etc.....sometimes it seems that windshield is a magnet!

The splat on the gas tank shown in this photo is all that's left of a buzzard hit by Santispac. Note: Over-eating the road-kill will over-load you when it's time to get airborne.

But...so far... no accidents with the Baja Bikers and I truly hope that trend continues.

SELF EXPLANATORY

DavidE - 3-11-2014 at 12:39 PM

805gregg - 3-11-2014 at 05:04 PM

The scariest thing I 've seen is 7 gas tanker truck drivers, sitting with their rigs out front down the road from the gas terminal at the beach east of La Paz drinking Pacificos at 9am before they picked up their gas load

David K - 3-11-2014 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
David K,
I don't know why Hector killed himself driving....but it is a bit creepy to speculate his death was due to a bicyclist....using his name in vain kinda thing...

I agree that some bicyclists have put themselves and some of us at risk....and I curse them at times ....let's just let Hector RIP and not use him here.

Ged, are you saying Hector was suicidal? That is not nice to say, is it? I said it could have been a bicycle in his lane as he was making that curve that forced him off the road as opposed to hitting it or a car in the other lane. It could have been a cow... does anyone know?

I did take the time to pull off the highway where it is safe, not near that curve, and hike to the monument to honor Hector by making the monument permanent in photos.

Dangerous

J.P. - 3-11-2014 at 08:22 PM

When we lived in Missouri we lived in the Middle of a Huge Amish Community. I heard the same Stupid arguments almost word for word over and over except it was Horses Verses Cars.
Did it change anything, Maybe, If anything it made people more aware of the Danger. :light::light:

ELINVESTIG8R - 3-11-2014 at 11:33 PM

Skipjack Joe - 3-12-2014 at 12:02 AM

The most dangerous thing in baja is an intolerant baja nomad.

David K - 3-12-2014 at 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R

LOL very funny David... :lol:

DavidE - 3-12-2014 at 01:37 PM

THE (capitalized on purpose)

Most dangerous thing in Mexico, is not driving, a terrorist, or some new form of Chinese virus...

It is interrupting the flow of income to a rich and influential Mexicano...