BajaNomad

How to Train Your Cormorant

Pompano - 3-8-2014 at 11:58 AM

My fishing buddy found his line had twisted during a fly-lining attempt at jurel. So we enticed this cormorant over to help...

This very trainable fish-catcher swam around & around...sizing up the problem.

"Mission accomplished...and thanks for the snack, Bozos!"

[Edited on 3-8-2014 by Pompano]

Fishing with Cormorants

Bwana_John - 3-8-2014 at 12:09 PM

I hear the secret is to fit a brass ring around their neck so they cant swallow a whole fish, and feed them small pieces of fish that they can get thru the brass ring.

That way after they catch whole fish they comeback to you, spit out the whole fish, and you get keep the big fish while only feeding them small piece of the total catch.

That's what Grampa said the Chinese on the Yangtze River did when he was stationed there in the 30's. (Keeping China safe for Jesus Christ, Standard Oil, and Robert Dollar)

[Edited on 3-8-2014 by Bwana_John]

Pompano - 3-8-2014 at 12:21 PM

Yes indeed, Bwana_John,

The Japanese have been using that method for centuries...recorded as far back as 980 AD. Pretty effective way to catch fish.

I like to think of our method as ....fattening up the bird for the kitchen.

Note: How to prepare your cormorant for the kitchen:

First... carry the bird as far away from yourself as possible...

Russ - 3-8-2014 at 12:55 PM

The game dept contractor that planted trout in my small lake in Washington said, "The only god cormorant is a dead cormorant." and ".... they'll eat 10 trout a day on a bad day." I'd tighten the ring:O

Pompano - 3-8-2014 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
The game dept contractor that planted trout in my small lake in Washington said, "The only god cormorant is a dead cormorant." and ".... they'll eat 10 trout a day on a bad day." I'd tighten the ring:O

Same feelings all over the country about the explosion of cormorants in lakes and watersheds. Bird watchers delight, and the underwater videos are terrific, but these huge bird flocks very damaging to fish populations and also wooded islands and waterfront areas. They are masterful fishcatchers and also destroy foliage areas with their rather destructive nesting habits.

They became protected in the '70's and have since outgrown their usual regions and now are pretty much 'unwanted' and can be listed as 'nuisance species' with ensuing restrictions. Similar problem with the numerous Canadian geese, swans, and gulls overrunning lakes, parks and city ponds, but those are birds of a different feather.

Nuisance animals can include bats, bear, beaver, coyote, deer, raccoon, skunk, and feral swine.

chippy - 3-8-2014 at 05:45 PM

Pomp I think you forgot sea lions in that list.

oops I should read and comprehend first.:light:

[Edited on 3-9-2014 by chippy]

[Edited on 3-9-2014 by chippy]

Udo - 3-10-2014 at 12:33 PM

I was in Ketchican, Alaska a couple of years ago.
Jana and myself were standing on a bridge, and just under it was a 14+- year old kid fishing for some salmon.
He hooked one in a few minutes. Then, almost immediately a large brown bear appeared out of nowhere and snagged the fish from the kid's line. It was about a 25 pounder.
He initially chased the bear for about 50 feet...then he came to his senses and put another lure and weight on his rod and tried to catch another one.

It could have been the same bear, but about 1/2 hour earlier, a bear opened a fisherman's ice chest (he was fishing from shore), not too far from where the kid was fishing, and stole three fish from the chest!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

Nuisance animals can include bear...