BajaNomad

Toyota Traction Controls

David K - 3-10-2014 at 12:47 AM

Helpful Ideas for Baja Toyota Drivers

While for some of us, having choices and traction technology is fun and helpful... for others, it can be very confusing and upsetting. The 2009-2011 Toyota Tacomas have up to 9 drive mode choices (depending if it is a 4WD and if it is an Off Road TRD). These drive modes are also on some of the Tundra, FJ Cruiser, 4Runner and Lexus vehicles. The names for the modes are confusing and don't help. For example TRAC OFF has more TRAC than TRAC ON!

In 2012, they added one more, and changed the name of one... both in H4 (4WD High Range).

The standard setting may be fine and no need to push buttons ever... but, the traction choices are there, and they come with the Toyota, and they do work!

Only the Off Road TRD has the rear locking differential. Only the 4WD Off Road TRD has A-TRAC.

TRAC is the standard limited slip traction control with engine regulation. When a tire spins, TRAC helps power transfer to the other tire with traction.
TRAC OFF is a stronger limited slip, as there is no engine regulation. Before 2012, H4 TRAC had no regulation.
A-TRAC is an amazing system that mimics the traction of front and rear lockers, but allowing the differentials to remain open so steering is unaffected.
VSC is Vehicle Stability Control, to prevent oversteer, sliding sideways and rolling.

What Drive Mode to Use...

1) H2 TRAC: most driving.
2) H2 TRAC OFF (AUTO LSD): if rear tire spins when you try to move.
3) H2 VSC OFF: you want the tire in back to spin

4) H4 TRAC: slippery pavement or gravel roads normal speeds
5) H4 TRAC OFF: off road, loose surface normal speeds
6) H4 VSC OFF: you want front and back tire to spin

7) L4: your front and back tire can spin, slow, climbing/crawling speed
8) L4 A-TRAC ON: you want to go most anywhere, slow, climbing/ crawling speed
9) L4 Rear Locker ON: you want the back tires to have equal power, front may spin
10) L4 A-TRAC + Rear Locker: for getting unstuck or pulling others out, no spin if speed drops under 3 mph (A-TRAC works the front tires at that point to keep you moving). I have used in snow with good results.

2012+:
All Tacomas now have 1-3
All 4WD Tacomas have 1-7
All 4WD OFF ROAD TRD Tacomas have 1-10
2009-2011 Tacomas do not have #4 (they have #5, but it was called TRAC then)

HOW TO USE THE CONTROLS:

For 2WD TRAC OFF (AUTO LSD) or 4WD TRAC OFF (2012+) press the VSC Button briefly, moving or stopped.

For 2WD or 4WD VSC OFF (no traction control and no VSC) stop the vehicle, press and hold in the VSC Button for about 3 seconds (VSC OFF light comes on).

For A-TRAC press the A-TRAC button after you have gone into L4 (Low Range 4WD)

For the Locking Rear Differential press the RR Diff Lock button after you are in Low Range... turning the wheel to one side and rolling slowly may help to engage if it doesn't at first.

The Rear Locker operation is only advised to get unstuck and not over 5 mph. The primary reason for this advice is likely that steering is more difficult when the tires are locked together.

PHOTOS available if anyone would like to see the Dials, Buttons and Lights associated with these functions.

While it may seem like a lot of reading and complication, when you take a Toyota off road and test the choices out and see how TRAC and A-TRAC enhance four wheel drive, without spending thousands in aftermarket upgrades, you will gain an appreciation for having these standard factory equipment features. I strongly recommend the 4WD OFF ROAD TRD to get the most traction for the money. Only the Off Road TRD has the rear locker and only the 4WD Off Road TRD has A-TRAC (2009+).

In my off roading in Baja... I only use the standard mode (no buttons) in 2WD or 4WD-HIGH and just in Low Range I press the A-TRAC button. It isn't complicated... but it helps that I played around with my truck in the desert to see how all the modes worked. I write stuff like this should you not have a chance to 'play' and figure it out.

PaulW - 3-10-2014 at 06:57 AM

Wow!! Way over engineered. There is no good reason for all the complicated stuff. Reminds me of German cars. Same story way to complicated just to show the buyer how great the engineers are with features with little practical use.
DK you have a typo??
"The Rear Locker operation is only advised to get unstuck and not over 5 mph. The primary reason for this advice is likely that steering is more difficult when the tires are locked together." I bet you mean Front not Rear.

As an aside. The thing to remember for a person who does not have one of the tecky rigs is that he is discussing. The Jeep Wrangler is the standard for off road vehicles and they still sell them with none of the complications discussed. Such as:
On/off front/rear locker 2wd & 4wd and that will do any thing the Toyota's will do without all the complications and confusion that requires a detailed explanation. Yes I have one of those, but my favorite is my 96 Bronco - Trutrac Limited slip in front and spool in rear. Ideally suited for the desert IMO. All off road rigs need tall tires and I consider 35" to be a good size.
PW

Udo - 3-10-2014 at 08:39 AM

Thanks for the detailed explanation, DK.

I pretty much have been doing the same thing as you write in you last paragraph. But now I know how the rest of it works

TMW - 3-10-2014 at 09:01 AM

Paul the Tacoma rear is only locked in 4LO, there is no locker up front. Some people on Tacoma World have modified the rear locker to work in 4HI.

David K - 3-10-2014 at 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Paul the Tacoma rear is only locked in 4LO, there is no locker up front. Some people on Tacoma World have modified the rear locker to work in 4HI.

Yes this. Thanks TW...

No typo Paul... when the back tires are locked it is harder to steer (unless on sand or loose ground). When turning the outside tires (front and back) need to rotate more than the inside. In 4WD on pavement or hard ground, turning is difficult because the front and back driveshafts are locked and in a turn, the front tires also rotate more than the back. AWD (All Wheel Drive) or Full Time 4WD vehicles have a third differential that allows the difference, so you can be in 4WD on pavement and turn... without binding.

Differentials allow the left and right tires to rotate differently, making turning easy. A locker removes this feature so that both tires rotate with the same power/ speed. A differential allows the tire that spins the easiest to spin while the other doesn't. Off road this can leave you stuck. Limited slip (traction control) systems help and lockers are the best to guarantee both rotate. You just have reduced control to steer when locked. Toyota made A-TRAC to combine the benefits of both lockers and open differentials. It uses the brakes to match rotation across the axle, so both tires rotate the same.

flyguy - 3-10-2014 at 10:42 AM

Thanks for the detailed info on the Toyota bells and whistles DK! I've owned my FJ Cruiser for a year now and still learning the uses and limitations of its features... these Yota's are very impressive machines indeed! I'm interested to see that your Tacoma has an option to turn off Trac and ASC in H2, as the FJ does not offer that, which takes the fun factor away when you wanna hit a parking lot after a good snowfall and get dizzy if you know what i mean :D having previously owned and driven Jeeps and Broncos i've never felt safer and more in control than behind the wheel of my Cruiser and i can't wait to get the tires sandy in Baja!

David K - 3-10-2014 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyguy
Thanks for the detailed info on the Toyota bells and whistles DK! I've owned my FJ Cruiser for a year now and still learning the uses and limitations of its features... these Yota's are very impressive machines indeed! I'm interested to see that your Tacoma has an option to turn off Trac and ASC in H2, as the FJ does not offer that, which takes the fun factor away when you wanna hit a parking lot after a good snowfall and get dizzy if you know what i mean :D having previously owned and driven Jeeps and Broncos i've never felt safer and more in control than behind the wheel of my Cruiser and i can't wait to get the tires sandy in Baja!

Hi Flyguy...

If you have the VSC Off button (car with wavy lines below), then while stopped (but engine running), press and hold in that button until the VSC Off light comes on (3-5 seconds).

The VSC and TRACtion control is now off... and will only come back on if you:
a) press the button again quickly,
b) turn off and restart your car, or
c) drive in a dangerous manner that may cause a spin out or roll over.

VSC also goes off in the 2WD TRAC OFF mode (AUTO LSD) up to 30 mph, then comes on automatically...

2015 Tacoma TRD PRO, You Tube at Chicago Auto Show

David K - 3-14-2014 at 03:26 PM

The most impressive part of the demo is when he drives up the ramp that places three of the four tires on rollers, so that only the front left tire has traction... and the A-TRAC (Advanced Traction) system effortlessly pulls the truck up... This has been my experience as well... only I got the truck down in ruts and high centered... and drove right out, with the A-TRAC.

Get a Toyota, and get one with A-TRAC!