BajaNomad

Still here in Asuncion

Barbareno - 3-12-2014 at 05:25 AM

We went out yesterday with Juan and Juan to see if there were any Yellowtail still lurking around. Here's proof. 45 pounds. Looks good on you Jim.

Better luck next time Timo. Least you didn't get skunked.

Barbareno - 3-12-2014 at 06:50 AM

churro - 3-12-2014 at 07:53 PM

Nice fish Barb! I hope you and Timo are well.... Hope to see you soon and save some fish for me

churro - 3-12-2014 at 07:58 PM

Wow... just noticed... Thats Jim man handling that lunker.... Last time I went out with Juan, I knick named him Dentista because of the way he remover the hooks from the fishes mouth .. we had a good laugh! Congrats Jim!

woody with a view - 3-12-2014 at 08:01 PM

solid pig!!!

Cliffy - 3-12-2014 at 09:03 PM

The fish are there BUT it looks cold also :-)

RenoJoe - 3-12-2014 at 10:37 PM

Hey Jim,
Give the fish a chance. Take some hooks off your lure.

Skipjack Joe - 3-12-2014 at 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbareno

During the Christmas vacation this year we fish bottom off the end of that small island near Asuncion. Every sand bass we caught was absolutely stuffed with these critters. Most of them weren't even digested and came crawling about when the fish were lowered into the boat. In the past we would see these 'tuna crabs' near the surface here and there but this time their 'migration' must have occurred deep because we were fishing about 150' down.

For some reason Asuncion seems to be a haven for them.

RenoJoe: from what I've seen, virtually nothing is ever released at Asuncion.

BajaLuna - 3-13-2014 at 12:15 AM

Great pics! So glad to see everyone having fun and livin' it up in BA!!

Udo - 3-13-2014 at 06:58 AM

Waddayaexpect...

Its still winter on the northern end of the Pacific.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy
The fish are there BUT it looks cold also :-)

David K - 3-13-2014 at 08:27 AM

NICE!

Viva Juan Arce Fishing!

vgabndo - 3-13-2014 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:

From what I've seen virtually nothing is ever WASTED in Bahia Asuncion.

When a client caught too many Calicos last week, the client, Juan, myself and two sets of campers at Campo Sirena all ate fresh fish.

Otherwise, it is pretty clear that there is little economic base that does not involve harvesting the sea, and my take is that they've earned a reputation for protecting their resources and seeking sustainability. It seems completely different on the other side of the peninsula.

Barbareno - 3-15-2014 at 06:07 AM

Barb will you post this for me please?

Ah! Skipjack joe I will have you know. Not one bit of that fish was wasted. Not the collars or gills and entrails(the last 2 for lobster) I kept 60% of the filets and gave the rest to people I know. Jimbo.

acadist - 3-15-2014 at 06:40 AM

If I close my eyes real hard I can almost taste the sashimi..............

woody with a view - 3-15-2014 at 06:52 AM

hopefully, those tuna crabs are a sign of a solid el nino this years. they haven't made it up to Sandy Eggo since 2001 or 2002.

Timo1 - 3-15-2014 at 07:59 AM

Woody

When we were out we saw a LOT of tuna crabs "suspended" in the water

Maybe this is our year huh ??

rts551 - 3-15-2014 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo

From what I've seen virtually nothing is ever WASTED in Bahia Asuncion.

When a client caught too many Calicos last week, the client, Juan, myself and two sets of campers at Campo Sirena all ate fresh fish.

Otherwise, it is pretty clear that there is little economic base that does not involve harvesting the sea, and my take is that they've earned a reputation for protecting their resources and seeking sustainability. It seems completely different on the other side of the peninsula.

Just a question... did anyone encourage them to release what they did not need next time?

Timo1 - 3-15-2014 at 08:36 AM

neither encouraged or discouraged as there is always a need for any extra fish
from a few of the poorer families in town

We can always insist on releasing here

durrelllrobert - 3-15-2014 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
solid pig!!!

Not a pig but Jay caught this one fishing with Beto on 3/14 just off the Punta Banda point. Come on down.

[Edited on 3-15-2014 by durrelllrobert]