BajaNomad

JEEP RENEGADE for 2015 a totally new Jeep

David K - 3-12-2014 at 09:16 AM

I have no words to describe what they are calling a Jeep after seeing these pics ... from Four Wheeler Magazine online:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1403-2015-jeep-renegade-phot...

Looks more like a Mini Cooper to me!

55steve - 3-12-2014 at 09:25 AM

It's not going to work.

DENNIS - 3-12-2014 at 09:29 AM

Price....18+-----25+ thousand.......and that ain't Pesos.

monoloco - 3-12-2014 at 09:55 AM

It looks like a pimped out Geo Tracker.

TMW - 3-12-2014 at 10:54 AM

They build them for the mass buyers not for the hard core off-roaders. Every survey I've seen shows that most 4x4 buyers seldom if ever go off road. I assume the Jeep lineup will continue to have the Rubicon in it. Even the off-road magizines complain when companies don't change the knobs or redo the dash every year, it's like they want a make-over every year with some new whizzbang added. Me, I like things to work for a long time.

apple - 3-12-2014 at 11:06 AM

I think it's a pretty decent looking car and would be great for a Northeast city car. Would probably be a decent car in Baja too. They'll get at least twice the gas mileage of my Cherokee!

LancairDriver - 3-12-2014 at 03:44 PM

Looks like they are aiming for the city driving Range Rover crowd.

David K - 3-12-2014 at 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Looks like they are aiming for the city driving Range Rover crowd.

Exactly... what ever sells! Did you see the street tires and low ground clearance?

My wife owned a Renegade (a 1979 CJ-5 Renegade), and I don't think I want to show her the insult to the name Renegade when she gets home!

We feared Jeep may do this when the Italians bought Chrysler (Jeep) Corporation.

I do have to say, however, that I took my 13" tire Subaru 4WDs into some pretty wild places back in the 70's and 80's. Matomi Canyon Oasis in '78, Gonzaga Bay on the old road from Puertecitos in '79, etc.

bajaguy - 3-12-2014 at 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco

My Chevy Tracker is offended!!! :lol:

monoloco - 3-12-2014 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco

My Chevy Tracker is offended!!! :lol:
It should be flattered:lol:

CortezBlue - 3-12-2014 at 06:06 PM

It doesn't take much to figure out, jeep is owned by Fiat
This looks like a fiat chassis

I'm sure we will see JLo driving one soon

Bob53 - 3-12-2014 at 06:30 PM

Muy feo!

MMc - 3-12-2014 at 07:16 PM

If more people were buying The old style they would not do a total retooling of the product. Auto companies make money when they sell units...
These guys are on the second ownership in what, 20 years. MB would not have spun Dodge off if thought they could make money with them. Maybe Toyota will buy them next.

David K - 3-13-2014 at 09:35 AM

One thing, Jeep has survived through all the car companies that has owned the brand... Other companies come and go, Jeep lives on...

1940: American Bantam
1941: Willys-Overland
1953: Willys Motors (owned by Kaiser)
1963: Kaiser-Jeep
1970: AMC-Jeep
1987: Chrysler-Jeep
1998: Daimler-Chrysler-Jeep
2014: Fiat-Chrysler-Jeep

How the first Jeeps came into the world? From Wiki:

Bantam Reconnaissance Car

When it became obvious that the United States was eventually going to become involved in the war raging in Europe, the U.S. Army contacted 135 companies asking for working prototypes of a four-wheel-drive reconnaissance car. Only two companies responded to the request, The American Bantam Car Company and Willys-Overland. The Army had set what seemed like an impossible deadline of 49 days to supply a working prototype. Willys asked for more time but was refused. The bankrupt American Bantam Car Company had no engineering staff left on the payroll and solicited Karl Probst, a talented freelance designer from Detroit. After turning down Bantam's initial request, Probst responded to an Army request and commenced work, initially without salary, on July 17, 1940.
Probst laid out full plans for the Bantam prototype, known as the BRC or Bantam Reconnaissance Car, in just two days, working up a cost estimate the next. Bantam's bid was submitted complete with blueprints on July 22.

While much of the vehicle could be assembled from off-the-shelf automotive parts, custom four-wheel drivetrain components were to be supplied by Spicer. The hand-built prototype was completed in Butler, Pennsylvania, and driven to Camp Holabird, Maryland, for Army testing September 21. The vehicle met all the Army's criteria except its engine torque requirements.

Ford Pygmy and Willys Quad

The Army felt that the Bantam company was too small to supply the number of vehicles it needed, so it supplied the Bantam design to Willys and Ford who were encouraged to make their own changes and modifications. The resulting Ford "Pygmy" and Willys "Quad" prototypes looked very similar to the Bantam BRC (Bantam Reconnaissance Car) prototype and Spicer supplied very similar four-wheel drivetrain components to all three manufacturers.

Fifteen hundred of each of the three models were built and extensively field-tested. Willys-Overland's chief engineer Delmar "Barney" Roos made design changes to meet a revised weight specification (a maximum of 1,275 lb (578 kg), including oil and water). He was thus able to use the powerful but comparatively heavy Willys "Go Devil" engine, and win the initial production contract.

The Willys version of the car would become the standardized jeep design, designated the model MB and was built at their plant in Toledo, Ohio. The familiar pressed metal Jeep grille was actually a Ford design feature and incorporated into the final design by the Army.

Since the War Department required a large number of vehicles to be manufactured in a relatively short time, Willys-Overland granted the United States Government a non-exclusive license to allow another company to manufacture vehicles using Willys' specifications. The Army chose Ford as the second supplier, but building Jeeps to the Willys' design. Willys supplied Ford with a complete set of plans and specifications. American Bantam; the creators of the first Jeep, built approximately 2700 of them to the BRC-40 design, but then spent the rest of the war building heavy-duty trailers for the Army.