BajaNomad

Former Loreto Mayor arrested

ligui - 3-13-2014 at 06:30 AM

Read in baja Sur newspaper this morning that Yuan Yee was arrested for stealing money from the town .

I've been wondering when this guy would be thrown in jail . Glad to see him jail clothes . He realy hurt the town of loreto . Lots of working people didn't get paid while he was mayor .

Hope he has fun ! :lol::lol::lol:

DavidE - 3-13-2014 at 10:13 AM

If every crooked politician were tossed in the jug, prisons would look like army base barracks. Remember hiding inside every politician is a failed lawyer.

rhintransit - 3-13-2014 at 10:55 AM

Loreto has never recovered from his first term, and the recent news that he was going to run again in 2015 stunned many.
Google translation follows:

"was arrested yesterday morning at his residence in this city , by members of the Attorney General 's Office ( PGR ) and entered the home CERESO for his alleged responsibility in the commission of the crime of embezzlement of more than 30 million pesos , one of several previous investigations that integrates the Public Prosecutor's Office against him for the same offense but on different facts .

Minutes after his arrest in the city of Loreto, Baja California Sur, its extesorero Oscar Aguiar Yee , was arrested by federal police ministry , for the same offense and transferred to the Centre for Social Reinsertion ( CERESO ) of this capital.

They were made ​​available to the licensed Pablo Enríquez Rosas , third District Judge , residing in this city, which appeared yesterday and assisted by five lawyers listed as common representative attorney Alfredo Padilla Esparza.

Yuan Yee Cunningham, mayor of Loreto , BCS, federal public funds diverted to other purposes not reached the Loreto society , it is clear from the indictment of the Attorney General's Office .

He is a member of the Labor Party led by Alfredo Porras processing Dominguez, president of La Paz city and former general secretary of the government that led the PRD and processed Narciso Agúndez Montaño .

In the next elections Yuan Yee , tried run again as a candidate for municipal president of Loreto, Baja California Sur, for the period 2015-2018 .

According to information obtained , the former mayor of Loreto , BCS , was seized by federal ministerial police at 8:30 hours on March 12, 2014 , when watering plants from his home in South Marina, tackle shop Wall Mart and transferred to the Centre for Social Reinsertion ( CERESO ) Local .

At 9:40 pm the same day and year , in the town of Loreto, Baja California Sur , was arrested Oscar Aguiar Yee, former Secretary of Finance extesorero or administration for the same offense .

In this first entry to the third district judge , the sum of $ 1,600,000.00 pesos , and federal public resources diverted by the accused now seen .

It should be noted that the crime of embezzlement by this amount , it is not considered serious, so that those responsible could reach his bail , to deposit the amount and ensure asset impairment of the municipality of Loreto, Baja California Sur.

To increase the amount of federal government diverts resources from criminal investigations to be reported by the District Judge , embezzlement became serious and would not meet bail.

vgabndo - 3-13-2014 at 12:18 PM

Is one of these guys called Paco Yee?

motoged - 3-13-2014 at 03:08 PM

Perry,
I dunno....but I heard that a possible name was offered by the Town Crier spreading the news: "Hear, Yee ! Hear Yee!" :biggrin:

[Edited on 3-13-2014 by motoged]

vgabndo - 3-13-2014 at 03:19 PM

I was just remembering a few years ago in San Nicolas I was roused by a horrendous noise coming down off the mesa and into the arroyo. It was an over-modulating sound truck with a really BAD jingle that included a lot of "VOTA PACO YEE, VOTA PACO YEE", they wend down every (both) road in town and then faded off into the distance after they had rouse all 12-15 voters in the village!!!!!:lol:

Pompano - 3-13-2014 at 04:47 PM

A Mayor arrested....again?

I can safely post this...because the statute of limitations on this rather hilarious event must have run out by now. Even so, I better not mention the town name...I think the person has been embarrassed enough for this past event.

Many, many years ago, my Baja home was burglarized and many expensive items were stolen. I posted large rewards and underpaid police from Cabo to TJ were looking to earn that money.

They soon caught the burglar (an American) and after some 'questioning' he soon confessed where and to whom all my stuff had been sold. (plus a lot of other stuff the police could care less about) With that information the items soon began piling up in the regional police department in Sta. Rosalia...awaiting my appearance with the cash... to identify and take home my recovered goods.

Hah...I got the word from the coconut telegraph one fine day, and so I went up to Sta. Rosalia to recover some rods & reels. While there I happened to glance into the chief's office down the hall and noticed one of my tvs sitting on a table, plus my marine radio base station. (which still had a captioned photo of my boat, Pompano on it) I collected that stuff, too, after a little embarrassed discussion.

Another day the police stopped by mi casa in a official van and asked me if I wanted to accompany them to a southern town, as they said they had a lead on my stolen video camera, which was a very expensive model of the time. It was in a grey case when it disappeared.

We came into town and stopped in front of a nice home in the residential sector. The detectives (if that's what they were) asked me to stay in the car and they would be out in a bit. I could see into the house through the large front room window and noticed the men standing there with the homeowner handing them a grey case ..which I immediately recognized as my video camera case. Then one official shook his finger at the homeowner before all the fellows came out the door ..with my case in hand.

They got in, showed me the case and asked if it was mine. I already knew it was, but I opened it and showed them my name tag on the inside..and then previewed a recorded film on the video camera which showed my home, etc. Case solved, so to speak! Then the head honcho said the homeowner was the town mayor. Kind of surprised me a little...(but not too much, after all this was Baja.)

I asked them what they had said to the guy when they shook a finger at him. They said, "Get a good lawyer."

All in all, it was a good look into Baja Life. Nothing beats having fun...even when you get robbed.

MitchMan - 3-14-2014 at 06:30 PM

One of the easiest things to do, believe it or not, is to keep track of money. All you have to do is have proven internal controls and procedures that are monitored properly. Nothing new, just accounting controls established by centuries of practice.

When money gets "lost" or stolen, that is because there wasn't internal controls and there wasn't responsible management. It is a systemic thing. The "how" to safeguard money is a known thing...around the world. Theft and loss only happens when the responsible people aren't doing their job. Or, the thief IS the person responsible for oversight and management, and, in that case, the organization (Loreto, in this case) should have had policies and procedures in place with separation of duties and crossing oversight and regular reporting that should have prevented this theft by that creep.

I am really curious as to how that guy managed to steal the money. Something must have been really lax in that town.

FWIW, the only interactions I have had with the Loreto municipality is in paying my property taxes and having to correspond with those people. So far, their lack of professional care, lack of sufficiently skilled staff people, and sometimes illogical procedures do not impress. I wonder if that provides some insight into their problem with handling money? I must say that the people are friendly, polite and nice, just doesn't appear that they are good at what they do.

vandenberg - 3-14-2014 at 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
One of the easiest things to do, believe it or not, is to keep track of money. All you have to do is have proven internal controls and procedures that are monitored properly. Nothing new, just accounting controls established by centuries of practice.

When money gets "lost" or stolen, that is because there wasn't internal controls and there wasn't responsible management. It is a systemic thing. The "how" to safeguard money is a known thing...around the world. Theft and loss only happens when the responsible people aren't doing their job. Or, the thief IS the person responsible for oversight and management, and, in that case, the organization (Loreto, in this case) should have had policies and procedures in place with separation of duties and crossing oversight and regular reporting that should have prevented this theft by that creep.

I am really curious as to how that guy managed to steal the money. Something must have been really lax in that town.

FWIW, the only interactions I have had with the Loreto municipality is in paying my property taxes and having to correspond with those people. So far, their lack of professional care, lack of sufficiently skilled staff people, and sometimes illogical procedures do not impress. I wonder if that provides some insight into their problem with handling money? I must say that the people are friendly, polite and nice, just doesn't appear that they are good at what they do.

As a Loreto/Nopolo resident, I would say" pretty good deduction".:biggrin::biggrin: