BajaNomad

Take 2 untested bikes, 2 pilots, one with dirt bike experience, a GPS, a map of Baja.....

vgabndo - 3-14-2014 at 05:06 PM

This is a five part series featuring two airline pilots on one-way dirt bikes and their failure to get them both past San Ignacio. A very interesting way to spend a windy afternoon cooped-up in Baja.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZOG_G2CYjc&list=UUYSjRr2...

motoged - 3-15-2014 at 10:15 AM

Ah, yes.....a first newbie Baja ride....poorly prepared, steep learning curve, and lotsa stories.....:biggrin::cool:

David K - 3-15-2014 at 11:23 AM

Thanks for that link Perry... Just watched Episode 1... Hungry for fish tacos now!

The only historical correction is that the new paved road to Gonzaga, from Puertecitos was begun 7 years ago (not 2).

KurtG - 3-15-2014 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Ah, yes.....a first newbie Baja ride....poorly prepared, steep learning curve, and lotsa stories.....:biggrin::cool:

Despite all that I think they had a good time and their unplanned stay in San Ignacio gave them a lot more insight into Mexico than if it had not happened. Incredible luck that they were able to get parts there. As soon as "running out of oil" was mentioned I had a mental image of damaged cams and followers.

Too bad they passed up Francisquito since I agree with you that it is one of Baja's gems. While I have not stayed at Rancho Piedra Blanca we stopped there last year and really liked it.

I think one of the biggest problems for most dual sport types is simply carrying too much stuff. That KTM that took 3 guys to lift it back up is an example. While my KLR is no lightweight I have reduced what I carry to a minimum. Its a little difficult for me since I ride from home so carry a few tools and tire repair stuff with me. I no longer carry camping gear but just a sleeping bag for emergency use. I use soft saddlebags and have found that I can get by with far fewer clothes than I thought I could in the past. I see the large BMW's with huge metal luggage boxes and a hundred #'s of gear strapped on and see a recipe for disaster.

I'm now considering following your model and getting a lighter bike and a small pickup to haul it. I'm 70 now and want to keep riding in Baja and lighter bikes are looking a lot more attractive. I have been watching for a good DR350es but they are hard to find. I suspect a DR400s would work well for me, also there are Honda 400's around but kick starting is hard for me because of a little knee damage.

I look forward to crossing paths with you in Baja one of these years.

KasloKid - 3-15-2014 at 11:07 PM

Surely reminds me of my first Baja trip, struggling with the sand and being completely exhausted from paddling with my feet. It didn't help that I was grossly overloaded with crap. I think I was prepared for any and all disasters!! I was on a KLR 650.

Nowadays, I have a set of Giant Loop MoJavi Saddlebags for the heavy stuff (tools, spare tube and a few spare parts) and a backpack for my clothes, hydration pack, food for two meals and toiletries. A compact sized sleeping bag and a 6 x 8 tarp is strapped on behind the saddlebags. Oh yeah, I bought a ktm 530......... 250 lbs dry compared to 430 lbs dry. Sure a lot easier to get speed up to float through the sand!!! I'm getting awfully close to 65, and the ktm is a lot easier to pick up than the klr.

[Edited on 3-16-2014 by KasloKid]

Floatflyer - 3-16-2014 at 06:44 AM

I generally do not read any of the off road posts but for some reason watched the first episode. I thought that Sam did a very good job of portraying his trip and his narrative was entertaining. I next watched episode #2 and will probably watch the rest of them.

One thing that hasn't changed is my lack of desire to experience this. It makes backpacking look like a Sandals Resort vacation!!! What ever floats your boat.

Ateo - 3-16-2014 at 08:49 AM

Diggin this. Just watched episode 1. So many problems in the first 8 minutes.

motoged - 3-16-2014 at 12:15 PM

I just finished watching all 5 video episodes.

A good story, for sure:saint:

The blessing in disguise was the layover in San Ignacio.

Too many riders "rip to the tip" and really miss Baja in doing so.

My first ride was on a BMW R80G/S in '94....then on a R1100 GS a few times on that route (and further south)....and after those Big Pig rides, decided to get a dirt bike in 2000....cuz the big bikes are just the wrong tool for the job...:O

The Calamuje on an 1100 with hard bags is a masochist's dream ride.

Kurt....go for the Suzi 400....you deserve the magic button :saint:

These guys have a story that is really about the kindness and resourcefulness of Baja locals....the heart of Baja, for sure.

A good video log of a street riders first foray into Baja....they will be back....:cool:

Sweetwater - 3-17-2014 at 03:43 PM

Quote:

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism." Bill Kauth

I'm a fortunate son.....I was introduced to Baja by a Mil team and a retired aerospace engineer whose advice was to "stay paranoid" for my recent ride.

The Rip to the Tip is just one aspect of missing the good stuff. I really have an issue with the run back to the stables. If there's even just one day left to spend on the beaches or with some locals, I say.......Stay the course......I just might pass this way again......or maybe not....

My 2 week ride report is in slow progress and I'll get some portion up here eventually, meanwhile, the neurosurgeon thinks I'll be his again......so, again, thanks for that quoted attitude....b-tches......

willardguy - 3-17-2014 at 03:57 PM

JMHO, but I vote for WFO. if you want to sightsee come back another time in a car with an icechest and some fishin poles in the back!:lol: