BajaNomad

Access/route question

Rides2Little - 3-16-2014 at 10:05 AM

I have a question about access in a particular area in the northern portion of Baja. This is after leaving the pine forests south of Laguna Hansen and before the goat trail. About 13 miles north of Valley T. This sign is just after an open gate with a roll over type cattle guard.

I have seen it several times in other trip reports and helmet videos. My rough translation is that it is a cattle breeding area and that auto and moto travel is not permitted but yet everyone seems to go this way. Back in the fall of 2012 we chickened out and and cut out west to Mex 3 and did the last few miles to Valley T on the slab. I know that the SCORE races use this section yearly but don't know if they have permission to specifically travel that route. Do I have the translation wrong or is it okay, in your opinion, to travel this route?

Thanks in advance for any insight. I am planning another moto trip down this spring and just want to be respectful and stay safe.

motoged - 3-16-2014 at 10:20 AM

My reply on ADV Rider earlier this morning:

"The ranchos are wanting to limit off-road travel in some areas....and it is a good idea to respect their signage so as to try to keep the rider-ranchero relationships on a good level.

Careful of the obstacles...

Rides2Little - 3-16-2014 at 11:21 AM

Thanks motoged. I am still curious as in I have seen several reports/tracks where people pass through this area specifically. I know SCORE pays for access in some areas and I am certainly wanting to respect the rights of the owners/users of the land.

One of the reasons I am asking about this particular sign is that it is located after the fence opening/cattle guard. You don't see it until you have crossed through. The way back out to the highway is less traveled than the route through the property in question. It almost seemed more intrusive to get back out to the highway.