BajaNomad

North Winds Howling

tiotomasbcs - 3-16-2014 at 03:16 PM

The winds started howling this morning around 9:00 am and are still blowing 25-35mph strong with stronger gusts at 3:00pm. The dirt roads and recently tilled fields are throwing blankets of dust and dirt! All beach parties cancelled! Sea of Cortez must be Victory at Sea. :coolup::bounce: Tio

KaceyJ - 3-16-2014 at 03:23 PM

Yes Tio, it's howling here too--Mulege area

Just heard there was a boulder slide on the cuesta down into Santa Rosalia and ambulances are running up and down the highway in the Mosca-aino area with lights flashing because of low viz from the dust storm. Air is really dirty today

Russ - 3-16-2014 at 03:39 PM

Had a 34 mph gust at 6:30 am but it howled all night. 20 mph most of the morning and it's settled down to 10 to 15 with higher gusts now. That's the nice thing about Punta Chivato/Shell Beach, the North wind comes over the top of us and the shore appears calm.

Vince - 3-16-2014 at 04:23 PM

High pressure up here in Socal, warm air being pushed down the gulf causing your winds.

elskel - 3-16-2014 at 05:10 PM

Hang tight Tomas, bk

micah202 - 3-16-2014 at 11:34 PM

..the kiter's will be happy!;););)

redhilltown - 3-17-2014 at 12:04 AM

...and the fishermen not so much!

bajabuddha - 3-17-2014 at 01:37 AM

THIS TOO SHALL PASS.. SO SPEAKS THE BUDDHA.

Tuesday on for the week, sharpen your hooks... we gonna rip some lips.:cool:

chuckie - 3-17-2014 at 04:56 AM

Ats my man! Go get em!.....

Osprey - 3-17-2014 at 06:24 AM

Every time the wind gets up like this, the sea rages here I try to balance it all in the knowledge that for a short time, the fishery gets a break and just the natural fish eating fish, fish laying eggs thing is happening without any interference. Before I came down here to see how it all works, I might have called you a liar if you told me I'd be smiling about squalls and northers that made boating, fishing, sea fun impossible.

DavidE - 3-17-2014 at 10:19 AM

Hack - Cough - Gag

I always try to look on the ah-choo, bright side (Visine)

Dirt blown into the sea, causes an algae bloom, feeding the food chain and eventually making sport fishing and the shrimp and lobster bigger. Where's the freakin' hose and mop? Damn!

Bob53 - 3-17-2014 at 11:09 AM

Seems like when the Santa Ana winds are blowing in So. Cal, the north winds blow in the SOC. It was 90 degrees and windy in Fallbrook yesterday.

tiotomasbcs - 3-17-2014 at 01:30 PM

The temperature hit 90 degrees here, too. Wind kicked up again after midnite but today is beautiful! The amount of dirt and leaves blown around was amazing but after a quick clean up all is in Balance my BuddhaBoy. Bar b que is on. Margaritas are in the plans. All is well. Tio

Udo - 3-18-2014 at 08:20 AM

It would take a very seasoned Baja expat to find out what you found out, George!

Mil gracias for your insight!

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Every time the wind gets up like this, the sea rages here I try to balance it all in the knowledge that for a short time, the fishery gets a break and just the natural fish eating fish, fish laying eggs thing is happening without any interference. Before I came down here to see how it all works, I might have called you a liar if you told me I'd be smiling about squalls and northers that made boating, fishing, sea fun impossible.

RnR - 3-18-2014 at 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob53
Seems like when the Santa Ana winds are blowing in So. Cal, the north winds blow in the SOC. It was 90 degrees and windy in Fallbrook yesterday.

That's exactly when the strong north winds blow.

It means that there is a high pressure center around the arizona area. The wind spills out to the west and creates the Santa Ana's and spills out to south and gets funneled straight down the Sea of Cortez.