BajaNomad

where to buy a CO2 cylinder to fill tires?

woody with a view - 3-19-2014 at 08:42 PM

i'm tired of the hiflow $80 q industries compressor i have. i'm on my 3rd one now and figure i can buy a tank, regulator and hose, fill the tank with Nitrogen and be money ahead for 20-25 fills.

problem is, where to get them?

Bajaboy - 3-19-2014 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i'm tired of the hiflow $80 q industries compressor i have. i'm on my 3rd one now and figure i can buy a tank, regulator and hose, fill the tank with Nitrogen and be money ahead for 20-25 fills.

Why not just by a Quick Air?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZX-QmGKVQE

woody with a view - 3-19-2014 at 08:56 PM

i'm tired of replacing stuff. so far i haven't been stranded but fewer moving parts/electronics is better.

elgatoloco - 3-19-2014 at 09:03 PM

My wife gets C02 for her aquarium at Airgas 163 at Clairemont Mesa Blvd.

I went thru a few of the cheapo air compressor then Sucked it up and spent the $$ for quick air 2. Going on ten years no issues. It has been used a fair amount. Takes up very little space.

YPSIMV :saint:

Bajaboy - 3-19-2014 at 09:04 PM

I've had my Quick Air since 1997 with no issues....

[Edited on 3-20-2014 by Bajaboy]

whistler - 3-19-2014 at 09:21 PM

Any welding supply that fills tanks.For regulator,tank and hi-pressure hose it was about $300.My tank is 80cf I think.Not sure how many tires you can fill.I just use mine for shocks and bump stops.

Desertbull - 3-19-2014 at 09:28 PM

The key to inflation of tires using C02 is a high flow valve. Generally C02 is used for soda machines so the valves do not flow high enough for tire use.

In the off road world we use nitrogen filled tanks as others have mentioned are available at welding shops everywhere.

For easy turnkey C02 tire filling if you don't want to build your own system, you can buy here at Steve Sakaski's company www.powertank.com

Delivery is easy ....

Desertbull

[Edited on 3-20-2014 by Desertbull]

bajaguy - 3-19-2014 at 09:32 PM

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/hvo/4367582853.html

whistler - 3-19-2014 at 09:38 PM

Hey Tim,hope all is well.

David K - 3-19-2014 at 10:04 PM

Quote:

CO2 is Carbon Dioxide ... Nitrogen is generally the alternative gas for tires... and what our air is mostly made of.

Have you considered an onboard air compressor such as what ARB makes for their locking differentials? I have also heard of a way to convert the air conditioning compressor to fill tires? The N tank idea is fine if you have room, and I understand it is very fast and gives your many refills per charge (so you may not need to refill it until you are back home?).

[Edited on 3-20-2014 by David K]

mtgoat666 - 3-19-2014 at 10:05 PM

Airgas is the place to buy gas products.

whistler - 3-19-2014 at 10:21 PM

The main reason I have a nitrogen tank is to get up to 200psi.Can't get there with a compressor.
David,didn't even notice that.Co2 is what plants give off and bubbles in soda.

[Edited on 3-20-2014 by whistler]

55steve - 3-19-2014 at 11:08 PM

Absolutely not true - when I had my CJ-7 Jeep I installed an York A/C compressor in the factory location and was capable of 400 PSI - I regulated it to 140 and with the use of a storage tank I had reliable air good enough to run high volume air tools.

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
The main reason I have a nitrogen tank is to get up to 200psi.Can't get there with a compressor.

[Edited on 3-20-2014 by 55steve]

Pacifico - 3-19-2014 at 11:18 PM

Quote:

Like others have said, you can get them at a welding supply. I think I have a 5 pound (maybe 10 pound) CO2 bottle and 150 psi fixed regulator. Put the system together by buying the various components and it was way cheaper than Powertank. I did buy the mounting bracket from Powertank though. According to Powertank, you will want to use CO2 instead of nitrogen. CO2 will give you 3 times the volume than nitrogen.

David K - 3-19-2014 at 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 55steve
Absolutely not true - when I had my CJ-7 Jeep I installed an York A/C compressor in the factory location and was capable of 400 PSI - I regulated it to 140 and with the use of a storage tank I had reliable air good enough to run high volume air tools.

Quote:

Steve, can a compressor that is working an AC also be able to fill tires, or is it only good for one or the other? If it is possible, do you have any info on how to set it up?

whistler - 3-19-2014 at 11:59 PM

Talking about a compressor used in a tire shop or like in my garage.

whistler - 3-20-2014 at 12:01 AM

Don't feel comfortable putting co2 or air into a $900 shock.

David K - 3-20-2014 at 12:08 AM

The thread is about CO2 (or Nitrogen) for tires... then some suggestions about better air pumps... so I asked about using an auto AC compressor (I have read about that), and 55steve confirmed... No idea about refilling shocks, other than my dad had air shocks on his Ford wagon?

woody with a view - 3-20-2014 at 06:24 AM

so then, is a 10# tank sufficient or should i get the heavier 20#?

Size does matter

bajaguy - 3-20-2014 at 06:56 AM

Go with the largest one you have room for

Quote:
so then, is a 10# tank sufficient or should i get the heavier 20#?

monoloco - 3-20-2014 at 07:02 AM

Just use a scuba tank. 3000 psi will fill a lot of tires.

larryC - 3-20-2014 at 07:08 AM

Woody
I have used a scuba tank for years to fill tires with no issues and sometimes I use a scuba regulator and I also have adapted a welding reg to the scuba tank, lots of used tanks available, and cheap to fill. I also have here in Bahia a couple of old 2000 psi survivair tanks left over from my sdfd days that you could have if you want one.
Larry

55steve - 3-20-2014 at 07:13 AM

No Dave - it takes a separate unit.

On topic - We have used several tanks over the years - both scuba & ones from the welding supply - tried both CO2 & nitrogen. Bottom line is that it all works.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by 55steve

Quote:

Steve, can a compressor that is working an AC also be able to fill tires, or is it only good for one or the other? If it is possible, do you have any info on how to set it up?

Filling tires

PaulW - 3-20-2014 at 08:17 AM

CO2 tank depending on size will fill tires. They come in 5, 10 & 20 pound size, The size is pounds because they are filled by weight on a scale. Beverage distributors and weld supply places is where you go for refills. Best size by far is the 20# because just about any weld place carry filled ones in stock and just exchange them for around $25. As an aside I find 4 tires is the limit for 12 to 30psi on a 35" tire due to icing of the regulator and very low flow rate for the 4th tire.
Power tank sells very high price a nice kit and I have one, but tanks have a retest date on them and then your pretty tank will take a few days to get tested and refilled. No exchange possible. What a pain. That rig lives in Baja and Mexicali, Yuma, or ElCentro is the place for refills.
A 12v compressor is a very good solution. Kilby sells a continuous duty one for a high price. Most guys can find a place under the hood to put the compressor. Pulls 25 amps. A tank is a added feature and it is harder to find a place to put it. They work great and I have one of those setups as well.
Harbor Freight sells 2 different units and they both will work fine, but slow is traded off for low cost. Yes, I have a rig with the cheaper version and it works OK. I just carry the thing in its box and pulle it out, open the hood and clamp the thing to the batt and proceed.
Then there is the little ones sold that say they will go to 150psi, but they have such low flow it will take many hours to fill one tire.
I have one of those in my truck for emergencies. Of course its faster to use the spare tire. After the spare is used then plugging and slow fill is the answer.

Speed for filling is an issue and the CO2 is fastest of the above. The jeep crowd use on board air compressors connected to the motor, These units are air conditioner compressors and fill tires hat the fastest way possible and sure enough a little compressor oil ends up in the tire. These things are about twice as fast as a CO2 setup with a fixed press high flow regulator.

Using compressed air or N2 is a bad idea because its to big of a deal to get the tank filled. With N2, He, or air you have to cool the tank during charging to get a full fill and that usually takes overnight.

BTW, everybody should carry a plug kit when in the boondocks. I plug my buddies tires probably every 3rd or 4th trip. Plug then air up.

Paul

BooJumMan - 3-20-2014 at 09:26 AM

The CO2 tanks are awesome for airing up, speed wise obviously, but as mentioned above the regulators do ice up a bit. I still haven't bought a CO2 tank, even though I've wanted one for years. The tanks do weigh quite a bit and take up a good amount of space....

Im surprised not anyone has mentioned the MV-50 compressors you buy from Pep Boys. They are $50 and have a higher flow rate than the expensive units. I can fill my 35" tires from 20 to 40 psi in less then 5 mins each. I've had mine for about 6 years now, and its completely banged up, but still works like new.

Here's a link, I know I am offtopic here, just adding to discussion:

http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV50-SuperFlow-High-Volume-...

David K - 3-20-2014 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
The CO2 tanks are awesome for airing up, speed wise obviously, but as mentioned above the regulators do ice up a bit. I still haven't bought a CO2 tank, even though I've wanted one for years. The tanks do weigh quite a bit and take up a good amount of space....

Im surprised not anyone has mentioned the MV-50 compressors you buy from Pep Boys. They are $50 and have a higher flow rate than the expensive units. I can fill my 35" tires from 20 to 40 psi in less then 5 mins each. I've had mine for about 6 years now, and its completely banged up, but still works like new.

That's what many of us have (Tsunami/ Q Industries) that Woody want's to ditch... He uses his so much, it just wears out... See a thread where he had to rebuild it a while back. I have the same one (given to me) plus a Harbor Freight one (bought years ago). Both work, but the Harbor Freight one fuse holder melts fuses... but is a tiny bit faster than the Tsunami 50... 6 psi per minute vs. 5. The cigarette lighter air pump from Coleman I used to have filled tires at only 2 psi per minute.

woody with a view - 3-20-2014 at 10:09 AM

see the story here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=59459#pid7165...

i replaced that unit and the new one broke after 3-4 tires. the flapper that i fixed on the first one is now riveted in place so no way to easily repair it when it broke. i got another before the last trip so i wouldn't be without, but am worried about it failing also.....

a tank solves many issues.

Larry check U2U.

CortezBlue - 3-20-2014 at 10:29 AM

I use Hellium so when we get to where we are going and everyone gets punchy I can suck up some hellium to entertain the group:tumble:

monoloco - 3-20-2014 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan

That's what many of us have (Tsunami/ Q Industries) that Woody want's to ditch... He uses his so much, it just wears out... See a thread where he had to rebuild it a while back. I have the same one (given to me) plus a Harbor Freight one (bought years ago). Both work, but the Harbor Freight one fuse holder melts fuses... but is a tiny bit faster than the Tsunami 50... 6 psi per minute vs. 5. The cigarette lighter air pump from Coleman I used to have filled tires at only 2 psi per minute.
6 psi per minute? Maybe on a 13" tire, PSI per minute is a ridiculous spec because PSI per minute depends on the volume of the tire you are pumping the air into. I have one of those Tsunamis and it's next to useless when inflating the tires on my F350, I tried it once and it took 1/2 hour just to raise the pressure 5 psi, and the thing got so hot I couldn't touch it. There is absolutely no way that I would ever be able to get the pressure of all 4 tires from 20 psi to 40 psi. The only rating that can tell the capacity of a compressor is SCFM.
SCFM as it pertains to an air compressor stands for standard cubic feet per minute. This lets you know the volume of air that an air compressor provides at a particular pressure.

[Edited on 3-20-2014 by monoloco]

Bob53 - 3-20-2014 at 04:05 PM

I've had a 20# co2 bottle for over 20 years. They work great but very bulky. The co2 tanks have to be tested every 5 years. When I need a refill, I just exchange it.

I bought one of these about 2 years ago and it has worked great. I keep it in my buggy under the seat. They have more expensive ones but this one works just fine for me.

http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/products/sfID1/1/sfID2/2/sfI...

[Edited on 3-20-2014 by Bob53]

woody with a view - 3-20-2014 at 04:15 PM

yeah Bob, i'm on my 3rd one now. i bought a second cuz the first was so dependable. the second failed FAST.

need to try something else. will keep the pump as a spare.

Bob53 - 3-20-2014 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
yeah Bob, i'm on my 3rd one now. i bought a second cuz the first was so dependable. the second failed FAST.

need to try something else. will keep the pump as a spare.

I just recently replaced mine but not because it failed, because some dirtbag stole it out of my truck. The one I just bought blew it's fuse for some reason that last time I used it. I forgot about that till just now. Need to look into that.

[Edited on 3-20-2014 by Bob53]

bledito - 3-20-2014 at 06:34 PM

a good old fashioned hand bicycle pump:lol:

CortezBlue - 3-20-2014 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
I use Hellium so when we get to where we are going and everyone gets punchy I can suck up some hellium to entertain the group:tumble:
Fun stuff but not ideal for tires-- those tiny molecules leak out a lot faster.

I'm going to send a quarter so some of you guys can buy a sense of humor.

It was a joke, that is why there was a laughing icon