BajaNomad

Toyota Off-Road Driving

TMW - 3-21-2014 at 12:06 PM

This is a two part series on how to drive off-road from Toyota. It explains everything you need to know and how to do it. Pay close attention.

http://offroadaction.ca/2014/03/21/80s-australian-toyota-tra...

willardguy - 3-21-2014 at 12:26 PM

very cool! for some reason part 1 wouldn't play for me though.

David K - 3-21-2014 at 12:53 PM

A blast from the past! The big bar guards on the front of those Land Cruisers are called Roo Bars... Kangaroos are like rabbits only huge, and if you hit a roo, it can mess up your day... so the roo bars help protect the front of your truck/ Jeep in Oz.

Thanks TW... a fun watch, and the basic information is spot on... especially the sand driving and the first recommendation to let the air out to about 50% of the street pressure! :biggrin:

Barry A. - 3-21-2014 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
A blast from the past! The big bar guards on the front of those Land Cruisers are called Roo Bars... Kangaroos are like rabbits only huge, and if you hit a roo, it can mess up your day... so the roo bars help protect the front of your truck/ Jeep in Oz.

Thanks TW... a fun watch, and the basic information is spot on... especially the sand driving and the first recommendation to let the air out to about 50% of the street pressure! :biggrin:

"let the air out"????? Wow, that is a seldom heard recommendation!!! Who would have thunk it???? I think we should all try an get the word out. (extreme kidding, David) :lol:

Barry

David K - 3-21-2014 at 12:59 PM

Some of the good old wisdoms are the best...

Ateo - 3-21-2014 at 06:52 PM

Awesome videos. The music is awesome too.

TMW - 3-22-2014 at 10:21 AM

I was a bit surprised they did not know to put a blanket or jacket over the winch cable. I also never thought of burying a tire in the sand to winch out.

Whale-ista - 3-22-2014 at 04:57 PM

Love the 80's vintage vehicles: Hilux, Landcruiser etc. and lovely Australian landscapes. Some areas look a bit like Baja coast.

Good Information.

Brought back memories - thank you for sharing.

willardguy - 3-22-2014 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
Love the 80's vintage vehicles: Hilux, Landcruiser etc. and lovely Australian landscapes. Some areas look a bit like Baja coast.

Good Information.

Brought back memories - thank you for sharing.
I agree, very cool cars! I love the FJ60's but they didnt have alot of love over here, didn't the Australian versions come with diesel's?

Winch Anchor

J.P. - 3-22-2014 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I was a bit surprised they did not know to put a blanket or jacket over the winch cable. I also never thought of burying a tire in the sand to winch out.

When I was Doddle Bugging in South Texas all of our Equipment had winches and hanging on the Winch Cable was a 15lb. Boat Drag Anchor. On the Gulf Coast there isn't any Trees or Rocks to tie off to winch your self out. The drag anchor worked very well.

[Edited on 3-23-2014 by J.P.]