BajaNomad

Super El Niņo?

Whale-ista - 3-23-2014 at 05:42 PM

News report

55steve - 3-23-2014 at 06:05 PM

I hope this is as good as 1997-98 - we had the best fishing ever in San Diego. I recorded an offshore water temp of 78 degrees which is the hottest water I've ever seen off this area.

Taco de Baja - 3-23-2014 at 06:16 PM

Water temps mid Baja on the Pacific side were also in the 78 degree range in 1997. Fishing was great; however, the warm water killed off the kelp, and caused an explosion of kelp flies.....Not fun.

woody with a view - 3-23-2014 at 07:08 PM

Howzabout the El Nino of 83/84? I got the wave of my life at Salsipuedes on a 6'5" single fin with no one else in the water.... Thanks Jerry Leach (RIP Brother!) for the fotos.....

[Edited on 3-24-2014 by woody with a view]

MMc - 3-23-2014 at 07:46 PM

Woody, go to indo... I got more tube time in the first 3 weeks on the first trip then I had in my life. The first 3x times overhead tube still haunts me(yoyos). The others have been good but you never forget your first. D point will change the way you think.

shari - 3-23-2014 at 07:54 PM

Hmmm...a super El Nino may be great for sport fishing (answering Woody's prayers for tuna) it often has devastating effects on the abalone as it kills off kelp...which in turn affects the economies of the central coast fishing villages...not to mention the increase in hurricane activity...ruh roh.

willardguy - 3-23-2014 at 08:19 PM

salmon fishing in ventura, epic!:o

monoloco - 3-23-2014 at 09:03 PM

I don't know what it means, but I was just at the beach and the water is warmer than I've ever felt it this time of year.

Whale-ista - 3-23-2014 at 09:12 PM

In past ENSOs, Gray whale deaths increased dramatically. Smaller fish populations declined and lack of these bait fish stressed many sea birds so they produced fewer chicks. (Some think we are seeing that decline now with sardines)

Pros: big waves, good sport fishing, rain for crops, wells, rivers...

Cons: powerful storms cause damage to roads & structures from flooding, coastal storm surge, heavy winds, etc.

Nature's way of cleaning house.

watizname - 3-23-2014 at 09:44 PM

Woodie-- Looks like the wave was living up to the spot's name
Salsepuedes---"get out if you can." or something really close to that.

Very cool wave.:cool:

Global warming?

Osprey - 3-24-2014 at 06:39 AM

U.S. Senate sub committee meeting on Global Warming.

global warming.jpg - 26kB

Pescador - 3-24-2014 at 07:15 AM

Unless you are Osprey and fearless, you have a natural tendency to not want to enter this discussion at all since you know beforehand where it is going to end up with the Global Change freaks and the Non-believers, but since I am on the water most days, I do see a definite warming trend and all the signs that we normally look for like time of the year for egg development in yellowtail, floating sargasso, bird patterns, water temps, and marlin migration, we are very sure that we are warming faster than the last few years.

Osprey - 3-24-2014 at 07:47 AM

Some empirical evidence it is warming up down here >> we have a mini split air in one bedroom of our house, no central heating and no fireplace. We do have a small radiator type heater but: (we live right on the Tropic of Cancer) and

1. As we get older we seem to need more creature comforts like air and heat in the house.

2. In the last few years we've used the air more, the heater less or not at all. To prove my point, I can't find the heater in the house or in the bodega. Do we still have a heater?

Mexitron - 3-24-2014 at 07:58 AM

That '97 El Nino was something, largest E. Pacific hurricane on record (Linda)...we were in Abreojos when it veered away from the peninsula----waves were so big there were breaking out beyond where we could hardly see them, just a big washing machine. 85 deg water temp, 95 plus heat, well into the night...and buggy!

That winter I never even turned on my heater in San Clemente. Let's not forget Hurricane Nora as well which went through Yuma eventually but gave us a little wind and rain in SoCal.

Cypress - 3-24-2014 at 09:42 AM

It's much cooler than normal along the northern Gulf of Mexico. Predicted to get down to about 35 Tues. night. Gonna have to cover tomato and pepper plants to prevent frost damage.

Pescador - 3-24-2014 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
It's much cooler than normal along the northern Gulf of Mexico. Predicted to get down to about 35 Tues. night. Gonna have to cover tomato and pepper plants to prevent frost damage.

Well, that is what you get for leaving Baja and heading to Louisiana, my plants are doing fine.

Cypress - 3-25-2014 at 05:34 AM

Yep, Pescador it's a tad warmer over Baja way. I'm actually in Mississippi. Good luck with the fishing. The spring/summer fishing is about to explode in these parts.:)