BajaNomad

March Report Tijuana-Loreto-San Carlos

TLBaja79 - 3-24-2014 at 07:56 PM

Mid March

Sunday
We left late morning and crossed SY Border around noon. No problems, easy to get FMM with the new border.
The Toll Road collapse detour was very minor. It probably only took an extra 20 minutes if that to go on the free road through La Mision. Grabbed some lunch at one of the Carnitas places along the road in Maneadero, not the best but good enough.
Baja Jardines the first night. It was our first time there and we were stoked! Got there with enough time to walk around the garden/orchard and drink a beer to relax after the drive. Then ate at the Jardines restaurant, had a great dinner, fish plate and a Mexican combo!

Monday
Heading south, stop at Baja's Best in El Rosario for breakfast burrito's, they were great.
The road was decent, the worst part of our trip was the areas north and south of Catavina. Lots of potholes though most of them weren't deep.
Then hit the road and next stop is Jesus Maria and find La Palapa restaurant closed. So ate at Esmeralda and had a good lunch.
Head into Punta Chivato to stay at hotelito and find out they are not there...It was a weird deal, a handful of doors open, some windows open, NOBODY there... So after walking around we decided to leave and try the sister hotel the Hacienda. The Hacienda gate was closed and nobody around. Asked a Mexican worker in the area and he just shrugged and kinda laughed. It was a strange deal especially since the Posada hotel was locked up as well...
We headed back out to HWY 1 and to Mulege and Hotel Serinidad. It was exactly what we expected, nothing nice but a good safe spot to stay at since it was getting late and dark. The food and drinks were awesome, though the service was not the best.

Tuesday
Relax around the hotel and then to Mulege to do a few thing and eat at Danny's Asadero in town which we really like!
They drive down and relax on a beach in Bahia Conception for a day of SUP and snorkeling!
Then on to Loreto. We checked into Posada del Cortes, great hotel, great location.
We went to happy hour at Auggies which was great, then on to Orlando's for dinner. Can't go wrong with those 2.

Wednesday
Drive over to San Carlos for a day of Whale Watching. Stayed at Mar Y Arena which is by far the best hotel in town even though the staff there are not the best and a real pain to deal with...and I'm just talking about checking in. The rooms were good, one room was finished, the other not quite but oh well.
We booked a day of whale watching with Enrique Jr out of the hotel Brennan. He is GREAT if you are looking to go. He's not too pushy or anything. He will shoot you straight and tell you if the whale watching is good or not.

Thursday
First thing eat at Hotel Brennan, a good breakfast right next to the hotel. Then to the marina and out on the panga. Within about 10 minutes we were in with the Mama Whales and Baby's. It was all of our first time to see the baby's and it was great! We had a great time cruising around checking out the whales and even got to pet a couple of them.
I would strongly recommend Enrique Jr for your whale watching adventures in San Carlos.

more to come later on the rest of the trip
All in all the road is in phenomenal shape with very few detours which you have to drive on dirt.
A handful of bridge repairs south of Loreto will take you on small detour roads
There is the temporary road closure south of Loreto just before Juncalito which you sometimes have to wait 10 or so minutes for them to clear the rocks from the road.
Having not driven down in over 3 years the road is in excellent shape and its really cool to see the work they are doing to make it that much safer and better for everybody driving.

BornFisher - 3-24-2014 at 09:39 PM

Thanks for the report, looking forward to the rest!!

bajacalifornian - 3-24-2014 at 10:46 PM

Igual de mi amigo BornFisher . . .

BajaBlanca - 3-25-2014 at 08:07 AM

Got any pics?

Ateo - 3-25-2014 at 08:10 AM

Nice report. Another Jardines success! They're gonna need to build more rooms soon.

Travelinleah - 3-26-2014 at 12:59 PM

What was water temp like at Santispac? I am envious!!

TLBaja79 - 3-27-2014 at 08:05 AM

I believe the # was mid 70's, like 74. But as far as real touch. I had no problem swimming around, by my girl wore a 3/2 wetsuit half the time and was warm but comfortable
Enjoy