BajaNomad

Using nautical language

Santiago - 3-30-2014 at 03:24 PM

Driving SWMBO nuts is a favorite pastime of mine and I've learned a great way to do it - just start using nautical language for perfectly good regular words. She thinks it's dumb and to be honest, it does sound a little pretentious to bandy about "quartering the waves", "she doesn't handle waves a-beam very well", using knots instead of MPH, reporting the depth in fathoms instead of feet and my all-time favorite "A 30 knot wind will build one foot of wind-waves for every mile of fetch" which is actually useful info in the SOC. heh.
Anyway, as soon as my leg swings over the gunnel ("what's the matter with 'side?') I start in with the lingo. Can't stop myself. I mean, we're talking about an 18' tin boat here, not a 36' double ender.
Anyone else have this affliction?

willardguy - 3-30-2014 at 03:32 PM

bring in the main sheet, and fluff the pillows!

DENNIS - 3-30-2014 at 03:34 PM

Expand your vocabulary:

http://www.dropanchorhere.com/fsetj/jara.html

durrelllrobert - 3-30-2014 at 03:45 PM

I've been known to be 3 sheets to the wind!

Santiago - 3-30-2014 at 04:08 PM

For example, we pull up to nice beach for some lunch or potty break more likely and she's on the bow ready to drop anchor. She does but ties off too soon - I yell 'more rode' and she yells back "don't you mean rope?" Well, actually, yes, that's exactly what I mean.

for all you landlubers out there

durrelllrobert - 3-30-2014 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

origin: sheets actually refer to the ropes that are used to secure a ship's sail. If the 3 ropes used were loose in the wind, the sail would flop around, causing the ship to wobble around, much like a drunk.

bajajudy - 3-30-2014 at 04:24 PM

Red right return!

Osprey - 3-30-2014 at 04:34 PM

I tried that with my wife once on a big sailing vessel and she said "You say one more of those boat words and I'm gonna push you out that little round window over there."

Cisco - 3-30-2014 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
I tried that with my wife once on a big sailing vessel and she said "You say one more of those boat words and I'm gonna push you out that little round window over there."

If you ever have a problem with nautical terminology or Gardner marine engines ask Shari.

willardguy - 3-30-2014 at 04:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:

origin: sheets actually refer to the ropes that are used to secure a ship's sail. If the 3 ropes used were loose in the wind, the sail would flop around, causing the ship to wobble around, much like a drunk.
I know you meant to say "lines" the only rope aboard is on the bell!;D

fishbuck - 3-30-2014 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Close. Sheets are used to control the sail. As in "sheet in" and "sheet out"
If you are "three sheets to the wind" three of you sails are badly out of trim (adjustment). The result of which would be a very sloppy looking boat like a disheveled drunk.

And they are not called ropes... they are called lines.

The only rope onboard is attached to the ship's bell.

fishbuck - 3-30-2014 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Quote:

I know you meant to say "lines" the only rope aboard is on the bell!;D

Willardguy beat me to it!!!

DENNIS - 3-30-2014 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck

The only rope onboard is attached to the ship's bell.

What?? You mean Swabby Boyz don't use "Soap on a Rope? :lol:

shari - 3-30-2014 at 04:56 PM

Skookum topic sailor!

MMc - 3-30-2014 at 04:58 PM

Most of my nautical language starts with arrrrggg and eyy eyy captain.

woody with a view - 3-30-2014 at 04:59 PM

land is a hazard to navigation.....

Pompano - 3-30-2014 at 05:09 PM

If racing in a regatta the main thing to remember is...

...."Upside-down is Slow."

fandango - 3-30-2014 at 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago

Anyone else have this affliction?

Yes.

In my house:
front bedroom- fore cabin
Back bedroom- aft cabin
:tumble:

Pirate talk

Osprey - 3-30-2014 at 05:36 PM

are.jpg - 38kB

whistler - 3-30-2014 at 05:50 PM

Lot of words used in commercial fishing,"corks","lead line","bin boards","pedro",'squids" besides the usual bulkhead,overhead,deck,fore aft etc.

Cliffy - 3-30-2014 at 07:11 PM

Yes but has anyone actually tied a carrick knot?

Paulina - 3-30-2014 at 08:26 PM

I swear like a sailor when I shave my legs.

Does that count?

P>*)))>{

whistler - 3-30-2014 at 08:36 PM

What use to be fairly common you don't hear any more.They use to use "lines"to describe areas more than lat long. Before gps we all used Loran C.
Some words are more local I think.Most people would not know the meaning
of"poruagi" but if you went to seiner row in Pedro they would all know.
No doors on a vessel.They are hatches.But there are "doors" on a trawler.

whistler - 3-30-2014 at 08:38 PM

"portugi"

vgabndo - 3-30-2014 at 09:02 PM

I tried using Port and Starboard with my wife in our skiff. It was hopeless, so I started saying Left instead of Port, then I would say, "no your other left!:lol:

Boats

captkw - 3-30-2014 at 09:33 PM

After taking 100's of folks out and doing SAR..The First thing when guest step onboard,,I show them port,,starboard..forward and aft.....and make sure,,,, twice,, that if they are more foreward than me and see something,,I twice,, tell them to point out the object,,not tell me which/what way to change course..(very Important) Then I show the smartest/oldest how to start the motors and use the VHF on 16/13/22A.....any questions?..PS,,COLREGS & SOLAS are not uniform..outside the usa,,Canada,mex.......there are many places where red right return DO not apply.......check CFR'S 33,32,,46 and rules of navigation......YA..A panga owner is called a captain!!!!

[Edited on 3-31-2014 by captkw]:lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 3-31-2014 by captkw]

Osprey - 3-31-2014 at 06:23 AM

Panga is the name used for a style of wooden boat used a lot in the past in Mexican waters. They have almost all been replaced by the same style but in fiberglass. Mexicans (fishermen, boatowners) rightly call these launches. (Lanches in Spanish) Those who own/drive them are called lancheros. It's a regional thing -- you hear one thing in one port town, another in the next.

P.S. Smart charter captains with competition for jumping bills and other surface feeders don't want clients pointing at the action -- they say "Just tell me where you see it --- don't point or all the other cruisers will get there first."

[Edited on 3-31-2014 by Osprey]

chuckie - 4-1-2014 at 03:10 AM

I dated a Portugi one time.....Her uncle owned a restaurant in Half Moon Bay...If she fell overboard, she would never sink.....Ah yes, them were the days.....Great lubbers

Santiago - 4-1-2014 at 06:11 AM

When does a boat become a ship? And is everything that floats a vessel?

Osprey - 4-1-2014 at 07:06 AM

I think it's the cost. Just like a Vase and a Vaaaze.

tripledigitken - 4-1-2014 at 07:11 AM

Quote:

A ship can carry a boat.

Marinero - 4-1-2014 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy
Yes but has anyone actually tied a carrick knot?

Double Carrick Bend, actually. The basis for the boy scout neckerchief knot.

Marinero - 4-1-2014 at 07:38 AM

Looks like we have all entered an area described as "From dead ahead to two points abaft the starboard beam."

A shout-out to the first to describe in ordinary English.

Cliffy - 4-1-2014 at 08:14 AM

Green nav lite?

Marinero - 4-1-2014 at 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy
Green nav lite?
Cerca, pero no puro!

Osprey - 4-1-2014 at 09:37 AM

starboard forequarter. Maybe larboard?

[Edited on 4-1-2014 by Osprey]

durrelllrobert - 4-1-2014 at 10:42 AM

Quote:

Submarines are always boats.

durrelllrobert - 4-1-2014 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I tried using Port and Starboard with my wife in our skiff. It was hopeless, so I started saying Left instead of Port, then I would say, "no your other left!:lol:

Don't ya know that two lefts can never make a right?

Marinero - 4-1-2014 at 10:56 AM

Hint: It has to do with Right of Way

Marinero - 4-1-2014 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo

Don't ya know that two lefts can never make a right?

However, THREE lefts do make a right. (draw it)

Pompano - 4-1-2014 at 02:39 PM

'Port'

1. Left on a boat.
2. A place you wish you never left on a boat.

durrelllrobert - 4-1-2014 at 02:53 PM

traffic to the north, turn ESE to avoid?

Marinero - 4-1-2014 at 03:22 PM

The area from dead ahead to two points (about 22.5 deg.) abaft (past) the starboard beam is the "Danger Zone". Unless you have a special privilege, any boat in that area, regardless of speed, heading or size, has the right of way over your boat. I have heard that the kite surfers use the same rules.

woody with a view - 4-1-2014 at 08:12 PM

if you pee over the rail, what is the definition of poop deck?

Cliffy - 4-1-2014 at 10:03 PM

"special privilege" Like in NUC? Or one cylinder showing? :-)

Marinero - 4-1-2014 at 10:06 PM

sail vs. power, being overtaken, US Navy with big guns....

Cliffy - 4-1-2014 at 10:17 PM

I did add a smiley with my post :-)

Out here we have special rules also- anything goes, free for all, no rules is the rule. That's why I don't go on the lake on weekends or holidays (Lake Powell)
I used to drive private houseboats here but gave that up after too many close calls by weekend Captains. We kill a few every year on this lake.

Marinero - 4-2-2014 at 10:01 AM

I saw it. I should have added one too :-)

Marinero - 4-2-2014 at 10:05 AM

Not good. I boated for years on the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. We used to call the rental houseboats Delta Destroyers. JetSkis/Waverunners are an even bigger problem. Never drove one much, but they seem to be like motorcycles and snowmobiles. The closer to the edge you drive them, the more fun they are. Until you go over the edge.......