BajaNomad

Awesome Whale-Watching Trip!

BonzoBaja - 3-31-2014 at 10:42 AM

As you may remember, I posted a question regarding whales in Scammon's Lagoon the last week of March. I am happy to report that we had a great time! We crossed the border at 6:30 am, and got to Guerro Negro by 3:30. After shopping and tacos in town, we drove 1/2 hour out to the lagoon, where we were greeted by HOWLING wind, and not much else. We camped at a Palapa(with wind barrier), for just $5 bucks, and got on our very own boat the next morning for $45 bucks(my son is 12, and was a little cheaper). Anyhoo, we motored out to the middle area, and soon enough, saw a few spouts in the distance. It was clear that the whale season was RAPIDLY winding down, and there were just a handful of whales to be seen. Just when I thought that we were going to be skunked, a whale "Spy-Hopped" nearby, and then swam over with a foursome, mom, two "aunts", and a baby! They literally swam up to the panga, and allowed themselves to be petted! The baby was sooooooo cute, with little bristles on his muzzle. Mom and the sisters were whisker-less, and had interesting scars/barnacles, and mom had a deformed tail, with white, finger-looking appendages, instead of a normal tail. They were incredible, like dogs looking for affectionattention! They hung around our boat, with just us four, for over an hour, allowing us to take photos/video with my GO PRO, and get sprayed by their blowholes!
Afterwards, we swung out to Santa Rosalalita to check out the boondoggle "Esclara Nautica" fiasco, and then up to another point to surf(poor weather, super-windy, little swell), from there, it was back to El Rosario, and crossing the border on Tuesday! Super-short trip, but one of the most memorable, thanks to the friendly whales!
Oh yea, Central Baja was relatively GREEN! They must have gotten more rainfall from the southern branch of the Jet Stream than Southern California did this past winter!

Udo - 3-31-2014 at 12:10 PM

The extra greenery rally brought out an abundance of roaming cattle to feed on the fresh greens near the side of the roads.

shari - 3-31-2014 at 01:16 PM

wow Bonzo that is great news...that whale was Fingers who we thought had left the lagoon as she hadnt been spotted for about 10 days...for my records could you tell me the exact date you went out por favor. Good to know she was there as she is indeed a very friendly whale...you lucked out. We think her pals were males hoping to score...she has a...er....rather famous reputation for being skanky! hahaha...she seems to like to mate right after she has a calf which is unusual. Here she is....

If you got any still of any whales where thier dorsal hump area is visible, I would be happy to submit them with my photo identification data I share with other researchers both in Mexico and NOB...thanks for the whale report!