BajaNomad

Need Advise if I should buy this Kayak

JoelovesBaja - 4-1-2014 at 02:06 PM

Hi Nomads,

can you help me review the Craigs List post below, the post is for a Kayak that is for Sales. I need your suggestions on what to look out for when buying this or any used Kayak. This Kayak has some hours under the belt. Can you tell me what questions I should ask the owner ?

Thank you
JBL

Here is the post below...
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/spo/4358096980.html

DENNIS - 4-1-2014 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JoelovesBaja
Can you tell me what questions I should ask the owner ?

First question that comes to mind: "Does it float?"
Second question: "For how long?" :lol:

Terry28 - 4-1-2014 at 02:15 PM

I have several kayaks..that appears to be a good one and the price is very fair...you will need the seat and paddle...If you wait it will be gone...

Pompano - 4-1-2014 at 02:27 PM

I've bought 4 Ocean Cobra kayaks in San Diego from Craigslist ads in the past. Paid about $300-$400 for each with paddles and seats/backrests. One even came with a beach roller. Looks like the same kind of deal...if no leaks, I'd say go for it.

JoelovesBaja - 4-1-2014 at 02:53 PM

what do you think about this other Kayak? the only drawback is that will have to spend 80 bucks in gas just drive and puck it up.

here is the other post
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/4400813244.html

willardguy - 4-1-2014 at 02:59 PM

I think if you keep looking you'll find one in better shape than the red one w/seat and paddle for four hundred bucks

sancho - 4-1-2014 at 03:03 PM

I bought a used Necky Dolphin yrs. back when kayaks
were kinda of a novelty, I wish I knew more then.
I assume the yak is plastic, pay attention to the bottom of the boat, look for deep
scratches, gouges, if present due to beaching the boat
I might look elsewhere. Paddles can range from $60
to carbon fiber $400, a good paddle is worth the $, as mentioned probably comes with a backrest, if equipped
with hatches see if all parts are there and and they seal, have heard of buyers putting some water inside the boat to see if
it leaks, there are MANY used yaks out there, don't fall in
love with the first, and try to paddle before you buy
if you aren't familiar with the model
Just noticed the craigslist post, Prowler is a respected
yak, has been used a lot for fishing, depends on what you
are going to use it for, paddling for an hr., or longer
distance, that paddle in the pic looks VERY basic, not worth
much, kinda of a throw away paddle, I like yaks in the 13' range
easier to transport, price is in the ballpark, but that paddle
is minimal, you would have to spend at least $120
on a different one

[Edited on 4-1-2014 by sancho]

fandango - 4-1-2014 at 03:36 PM

You can get the serial number from the bow of the boat on the starboard side and the last 2 digits will tell you the year of the kayak. Sometimes thatis important as there are design changes and some of the older ocean kayaks are not as beamy and not as long.

MMc - 4-1-2014 at 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
I bought a used Necky Dolphin yrs. back when kayaks
were kinda of a novelty, I wish I knew more then.
I assume the yak is plastic, pay attention to the bottom of the boat, look for deep
scratches, gouges, if present due to beaching the boat
I might look elsewhere. Paddles can range from $60
to carbon fiber $400, a good paddle is worth the $, as mentioned probably comes with a backrest, if equipped
with hatches see if all parts are there and and they seal, have heard of buyers putting some water inside the boat to see if
it leaks, there are MANY used yaks out there, don't fall in
love with the first, and try to paddle before you buy
if you aren't familiar with the model
Just noticed the craigslist post, Prowler is a respected
yak, has been used a lot for fishing, depends on what you
are going to use it for, paddling for an hr., or longer
distance, that paddle in the pic looks VERY basic, not worth
much, kinda of a throw away paddle, I like yaks in the 13' range
easier to transport, price is in the ballpark, but that paddle
is minimal, you would have to spend at least $120
on a different one

Sancho is right on. a few other things to think about. A rudder is a must for me, It helps when doing a long paddle and when crossing a current. Also leg straps also help for long paddles, they are after market items. Most people buy their first yak and figure what is important to their style when they get the next one. Think about getting a lesson too, they will give you plenty of incites.

Marc - 4-1-2014 at 07:22 PM

Sit-on-top kayaks are great for Baja. Warm water and a relatively calm sea. I would buy either one for paddling in the Sea of Cortez.
BTW if you are new to kayaking don't be cavalier about sea conditions, weather,wind etc. People can die if not careful.

baja43 - 4-1-2014 at 08:13 PM

My wife and I bought, paddled and fished Ocean Kayaks on the Pacific, Cortez, local lakes, Colorado river and they work. Good deal. Buy it B4 it's gone.

micah202 - 4-1-2014 at 08:39 PM

.http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/spo/4358096980.html

.Overall,,the kayak looks decent,,,kept out-of-sun...but the last 2 pictures paint a warning,,,,the scratching seems substantial in the 2nd last picture,,,,and goes -through- at the bow knuckle....
............be warned--it's hard to get a proper 'fix' on that plastic,,,

,,as a boat repair guy,,I'd make a skid plate that covers that area,,,,bond it with 3M's '5200' adhesive

...as a layman,,I'd look for better
-----------------

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/4400813244.html

the 2nd one,,, not much pictures of the bottom,,,but you get the idea-watch for wear.
Design these kayaks would be okay for punting around,,close to camp,,,,could probably fly off the roofrack and still be useable**
Personally I go for a fiberglass,,repairable,, ~17-19' ocean kayak,,,scanning craigslist down the coast a couple of years ago it seemed sacramento had the best deals by far...~$650 seemed to be the going rate for a -very- nice f.g. kayak

...**don't try this on purpose!!

[Edited on 4-2-2014 by micah202]