BajaNomad

5 hour crossing time reported at SY Sunday

bajalearner - 4-7-2014 at 03:47 PM

A stranger in passing told me he was in line at the SY crossing for 5 hours Sunday, April 6th about 3pm. He used the "all other traffic" lanes.

I can't confirm the wait time, only report what I was told.

Ateo - 4-7-2014 at 03:52 PM

Totally unacceptable. But at least the drug supply has dried up and there are no more illegal aliens. :)

DENNIS - 4-7-2014 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
A stranger in passing told me he was in line at the SY crossing for 5 hours Sunday, April 6th about 3pm. He used the "all other traffic" lanes.

Sunday...3PM. 5 hours? He's lucky he's not still there.
Jeeezo....I don't understand. People jump into a meat grinder and can't figure out why they're bleeding.

sancho - 4-7-2014 at 04:09 PM

An aquaintance reported a 6 hr. + wait a couple
months back on a non descript, Sun., doen't seem
like that long ago, would go for Fri. Sat., and see 1 hr.
coming back, on a sun., these long lines keep me away for weekend
trips, I get a little cranky after 1 1/2 hr.

David K - 4-7-2014 at 06:43 PM

Funny that after all that so called work at the San Ysidro the government was so proud to brag about, to speed up crossing times... and perhaps fewer Americans going south... it is worse than ever???

1 hr "readilane" at Otay Sunday night

Whale-ista - 4-7-2014 at 06:58 PM

Quote:

I used Otay Readiline last night for 1st time. It still took an hour.

Had the strangest entry I've seen: everyone queues up, at turnoff from Bella Artes, while a motorcycle patrolman blocks the entry, then lets cars proceed every few minutes in a strange "pulse" movement. Very weird...

While NB, noticed lots of local traffic Sunday, nice weather had people out and about? Lots of traffic driving south into ensenada at sunset thru La Mision. Gorgeous sunset for those along the coastline.

willardguy - 4-7-2014 at 07:03 PM

Quote:

I would be curious to know what the ready lane times were, are they punishing non-ready lane users or just sunday crossers?

mtgoat666 - 4-7-2014 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:

I would be curious to know what the ready lane times were, are they punishing non-ready lane users or just sunday crossers?

At sy, the total of ready and sentri lanes now outnumber the regular lanes. Message from Uncle Sam: pay the man if you want to cross in reasonable time. No pay, then flock you!

BornFisher - 4-7-2014 at 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Quote:

At sy, the total of ready and sentri lanes now outnumber the regular lanes. Message from Uncle Sam: pay the man if you want to cross in reasonable time. No pay, then flock you!

I`d love to pay $5 to cross in a dedicated lane. When this was proposed, the civil rights coalitions went nuts and complained how unfair this would be to the poor. And in the interest of fairness, Uncle Sam backed down. And again in the interest of fairness, the top is brought down, to make things equal. Too bad the bottom can`t be brought up to make things equal, but ................you figure it out!!
Meantime we shall all be equal in our misery!

nbacc - 4-8-2014 at 03:46 PM

NEVER EVER on a Sunday!!!!!!!!!!! Especially in the afternoon! nancy

dasubergeek - 4-9-2014 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I`d love to pay $5 to cross in a dedicated lane. When this was proposed, the civil rights coalitions went nuts and complained how unfair this would be to the poor. And in the interest of fairness, Uncle Sam backed down. And again in the interest of fairness, the top is brought down, to make things equal. Too bad the bottom can`t be brought up to make things equal, but ................you figure it out!!
Meantime we shall all be equal in our misery!

That is exactly what is proposed for the third crossing—and there are plenty of toll crossings of the Rio Grande/Río Bravo—so the whiners can shut up and go moulder in five-hour waits.

bajaguy - 4-9-2014 at 09:24 AM

There is already a solution in place.........SENTRI

DENNIS - 4-9-2014 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher

I`d love to pay $5 to cross in a dedicated lane.

Just something about paying for admission to my own country.
Besides.....you can double the amount because Mexico would be sure to follow suit. Pay to enter both ways. Where would it stop?

Bob53 - 4-9-2014 at 01:14 PM

Tecate was packed on Sunday too. I spent just a hair under 2 hours at around 5 pm. I haven't crossed the border on a Sunday in probably around 15 years so I had no clue that the borders were that slow. I will never cross on a Sunday again.

Bajakiter - 4-9-2014 at 03:10 PM

The wife and I drove up from our place in San Quintin (Cielito Lindo) and got to SY around 3pm. We crossed with our SENTRI (about 13min.) Saw that the wait times posted on the Border Wait iPhone app was averaging 3hrs for the regular line and 9-16mins for Sentri.

Folks always get :fire: when you talk to them about the wait & also about what it cost to get Sentri.

I laugh and remind them that as a Senti member, you also get (when you add your trusted traveler # to your flyer account) into the TSA pre line and also skip past customs when flying in from abroad.

If your going to travel across more than 3 times a year or fly via any US carrier and also feeling that your time is that valuable, for goodness sakes, quit your crying and pony up for Sentri.

mtgoat666 - 4-9-2014 at 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajakiter
Folks always get :fire: when you talk to them about the wait & also about what it cost to get Sentri.

what are people whining about? cost of a multi-year year sentri pass is about same cost as 1 month of home tele/internet/cable TV, or one night out at a nice restaurant, or 2 or 3 fill ups of gasoline

dasubergeek - 4-9-2014 at 04:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:

what are people whining about? cost of a multi-year year sentri pass is about same cost as 1 month of home tele/internet/cable TV, or one night out at a nice restaurant, or 2 or 3 fill ups of gasoline

You must drive a Smart Car... SENTRI costs $122.75 and it costs $90 to fill up my truck...

bajaguy - 4-9-2014 at 04:43 PM

I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, and I'm not a rocket scientist, but about the third time I had to wait more than an hour at the border, even if I went to Baja 2 or 3 times a year, I would be applying for a SENTRI

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
Quote:
Quote:

You must drive a Smart Car... SENTRI costs $122.75 and it costs $90 to fill up my truck...

Bajahowodd - 4-9-2014 at 04:55 PM

I have to enjoy Ateo's sarcastic humor. Fact is that this whole disaster was the end result of the trumped up fake war in Iraq. It had nothing to do with drugs or illegal aliens. It was all about keeping Osama Bin Laden from sneaking across the border in someone's trunk, while padding both the federal workforce and the wallets of private contractors.

Ridiculous!

Can anyone show me any documentation that shows that this draconian border enforcement has actually resulted in anything worthwhile?

Boomerang - 4-9-2014 at 05:19 PM

Quote:

bajaguy - 4-9-2014 at 05:24 PM

It's a well known fact that Osama Bin Laden did not sneak across the border into the US at San Ysidro......so the plan must have worked :lol:

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I have to enjoy Ateo's sarcastic humor. Fact is that this whole disaster was the end result of the trumped up fake war in Iraq. It had nothing to do with drugs or illegal aliens. It was all about keeping Osama Bin Laden from sneaking across the border in someone's trunk, while padding both the federal workforce and the wallets of private contractors.

Ridiculous!

Can anyone show me any documentation that shows that this draconian border enforcement has actually resulted in anything worthwhile?

Boomerang - 4-9-2014 at 05:29 PM

When I bought my house in San Quintin in 2007, I learned to fly so as to avoid the 28 hour round trip drive from Tucson, and the border crossing time at San Ysidro or elsewhere. Last Sunday, April 6, I crossed the border at 500 feet above the ground (legally) at 100 mph, about two seconds in all. Another airplane from Lorenzo's Airpark was five minutes behind me. The population of US pilots traveling/residing in Baja has decreased tremendously in recent years. I hope this might encourage some of you to start flying (yes, I know, it's expensive. One of my friends has a $200,000 RV, more than double the cost of my airplane).

bajalearner - 4-9-2014 at 05:33 PM

I cross SY several times per week usually on my motorcycle. There are still about 6 lanes not finished on the far left end of the row of booths.

Each lane ends at two booths (almost all lanes) usually manned by two officers. So when the last 6 or so lanes are finished, there will be about 12 more booths in use.

That is if all booths are manned. Not all booths are manned all the time. I guess it would be dificult to have enough employees working to man all booths all the time. Also a need for lunch and short breaks in a work shift, training time, shooting range days and ???

Bob53 - 4-9-2014 at 06:26 PM

Quote:
The wife and I drove up from our place in San Quintin (Cielito Lindo) and got to SY around 3pm. We crossed with our SENTRI (about 13min.) Saw that the wait times posted on the Border Wait iPhone app was averaging 3hrs for the regular line and 9-16mins for Sentri.

I laugh and remind them that as a Senti member, you also get (when you add your trusted traveler # to your flyer account) into the TSA pre line and also skip past customs when flying in from abroad.

If your going to travel across more than 3 times a year or fly via any US carrier and also feeling that your time is that valuable, for goodness sakes, quit your crying and pony up for Sentri.

Unfortunately I usually drive an RV which does not qualify for a Sentri pass. Now that I have a house down there I will be getting one and driving my truck.

[Edited on 4-10-2014 by Bob53]

Bajakiter - 4-10-2014 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
Quote:
Quote:

I know, its the best deal going for frequent travels. Most Baja folks that I have talked with have their facts wrong when it comes to Sentri, they think that its $100+ per year.

Pescador - 4-10-2014 at 11:45 AM

So Who Goes North anymore:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

elgatoloco - 4-10-2014 at 02:27 PM

I figure my Sentri cost me about .50 per crossing and has saved me approximately 300 hours of wait time. :saint:

I travel quite a bit for work via domestic airlines and having the trusted traveler number from my Sentri in my airline profile has meant TSA pre-check at SAN/DEN/SLC/IND. Never a line, keep your shoes on. No hurry, no worry.

YMMV. :cool:

bajalearner - 4-10-2014 at 03:02 PM

Quote:

Can we consider creating government jobs as something worthwhile? Oh no, that is another can of worms...nevermind.

Bajahowodd - 4-10-2014 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
So Who Goes North anymore:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

Obviously you do, or why would you have posted a crapload of photos from the great North?