BajaNomad

Watch for horses near El Marmol

bajachris - 4-7-2014 at 04:51 PM

Just drove south from El Rosario. Saw 3 dead horse (mare, foal and another horse) on side of the road, vultures near by. Watch out. It was clear that one had been hit by a car. Lots of potholes through the dessert. Most road construction seemed complete and overall roads were good down to LA Bay turn off.

David K - 4-7-2014 at 06:32 PM

For those not sure where this is:

The turnoff to El Marmol is at Km. 148, between El Rosario and Cataviņa. El Marmol is the abandoned onyx mine, 9 miles off Hwy. 1. Cafe Sonora is very near the turnoff (food and onyx curios for sale).

Whale-ista - 4-7-2014 at 06:50 PM

Be careful out there! Since it's spring lots of distractions along the hwy: saw lots of wildflowers and a few new calves and foals. Sorry to hear a pair+1 were killed.

Wow- 3 at once and no wrecked car to be seen? Must have been a semi...

I drove up yesterday from GN. Saw 1 Dead cow that was new btwn GN/Catavina (vultures lurking nearby) since I drove south last Tuesday. Also lots of live mules, cows, horses meandering on shoulders in various spots.

Pompano - 4-7-2014 at 06:54 PM

3 dead horses at the scene? That's very sad news. A lesson to be learned here to drive only when alert and even then, very defensively, especially on the Baja Road.

mulegemichael - 4-8-2014 at 06:54 AM

cafe sonora is closed presently and when we passed the turnoff to el marmol this past week we saw 4-5 huge dump trucks coming out loaded with onyx, it appeared...times they are a changin'

David K - 4-8-2014 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
cafe sonora is closed presently and when we passed the turnoff to el marmol this past week we saw 4-5 huge dump trucks coming out loaded with onyx, it appeared...times they are a changin'

It is maybe more possible that they were loaded with barite from the La Olvidada mine, past El Marmol and El Volcan. In 2011, the road was newly graded out to La Olvidada from El Marmol and that barite mine (barite is used in the petroleum drilling industry) was being expanded.