BajaNomad

Aerial video

gringorio - 4-9-2014 at 05:26 PM

Hey ya'll,

Here's some aerial video I took during my recent trip to Baja California. I wish I could have taken more, but the wind seemed to read my mind and start blowing when I was in the best locations for taking a video flight...

Click here to watch: Baja Aerial Video

:bounce:

tripledigitken - 4-9-2014 at 06:36 PM

Very nice. Was that shot with a Gopro?

gringorio - 4-9-2014 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Very nice. Was that shot with a Gopro?

Yup ... I have a gopro attached to a gimbal attached to a DJI Phantom quadcopter. Works pretty good, though there is still some 'jello' in the video from the vibration of the quadcopters motors. Fun for an amateur like me though! :lol:

Air time

bajaguy - 4-9-2014 at 06:46 PM

What is your flight time per sortie????

ncampion - 4-9-2014 at 06:56 PM

Very cool, I'm on the verge of buying a DJI myself after fooling around with small quads. Where is the location? I'm guessing south of San Felipe???

gringorio - 4-9-2014 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
Very cool, I'm on the verge of buying a DJI myself after fooling around with small quads. Where is the location? I'm guessing south of San Felipe???

The video is mostly from around Bahia de los Angeles and between Puertecitos and Bahia San Luis Gonzaga... If you're interested in video and longer flight times you may want to consider the Phantom II. If you can fly smaller quads you can fly the bigger quads. I recommend you buy the FPV gear and start flying that way. It's the only way to get good video and is actually pretty easy to learn if you already have flight time ...

Bob53 - 4-9-2014 at 07:24 PM

Very nice! You almost made it down to my house in BOLA. A couple more kilometers and you would have flown right over it.

gringorio - 4-9-2014 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob53
Very nice! You almost made it down to my house in BOLA. A couple more kilometers and you would have flown right over it.

just respecting your privacy! ;0) (a whole other issue using this technology)...

I met a whale shark researcher who wants help searching for whale sharks using this technology. I hope to return this summer to help her out...

Bob53 - 4-9-2014 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gringorio
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob53

just respecting your privacy! ;0) (a whole other issue using this technology)...

I met a whale shark researcher who wants help searching for whale sharks using this technology. I hope to return this summer to help her out...

Is her name Alma?

gnukid - 4-9-2014 at 08:02 PM

Stealing souls

wilderone - 4-9-2014 at 08:07 PM

Well, that's just awesome! Gotta get one of those.

area51captive - 4-9-2014 at 08:21 PM

GringoGorio, thanks for the video. Are you driving while the RPV is flying? Are the two speeds compatible? It looks like the camera is on a swivel, is that right? Does the camera swivel about 360 degrees? That's a very attractive toy--gotta have!!

gringorio - 4-9-2014 at 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by area51captive
GringoGorio, thanks for the video. Are you driving while the RPV is flying? Are the two speeds compatible? It looks like the camera is on a swivel, is that right? Does the camera swivel about 360 degrees? That's a very attractive toy--gotta have!!

I'm standing still at the take off-point. The camera is on a gimbal that keeps the video level with the horizon. The camera rotates left or right when I turn the quad-copter. I can pan the camera up or down from the horizon while in flight. I have driven while flying - get more range that way, though it's safest to take off, fly, and then land in the same location ...

gringorio - 4-10-2014 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Is her name Alma?

Yup! Her study is similar to one that was looking at dugong populations and they used a drone to fly transects and were able to ID many more dugongs than the standard approach. It's be great f she could use UAV technology for her work!

StuckSucks - 4-10-2014 at 01:53 PM

Makes me wanna be there - a fun watch!

David K - 4-11-2014 at 07:29 AM

Nice way to start the day. Thanks Greg!