BajaNomad

Great views of BOLA orcas

Whale-ista - 4-10-2014 at 05:09 PM

A friend posted this after visiting BOLA with his family recently.

As he says: who cares if you catch fish after an encounter like this? (his dad adds: "we have spaghetti"

Video link: Orcas in BOLA

jbcoug - 4-10-2014 at 07:38 PM

Pretty freaking amazing!

Paulina - 4-10-2014 at 07:59 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your friends video, those kids were stoked! What a wonderful experience for those boys to see Orcas where they belong, in the wild, not in a cement tank at Sea World.

P>*)))>{

[Edited on 11-4-2014 by Paulina]

DianaT - 4-10-2014 at 08:19 PM

Yes, what great fun! And the orcas are where they belong --- in the wild and not in a tank!

Those kids will have some great memories.

24baja - 4-10-2014 at 10:02 PM

Awesome video......when people ask me why Baja......this is why Baja!

woody with a view - 4-11-2014 at 07:05 AM

very cool!

David K - 4-11-2014 at 07:30 AM

That was fun!

Whale-ista - 4-11-2014 at 08:25 AM

I called Keith after viewing this family video. He's a building contractor in San Diego.

Turns out he is working on building a project on some property he owns in Abreojos! He and I may go down there together in June. I'm going to ask for his advice on my project in San Miguel. And I'd like to introduce him to Blanca to learn more about her operations at la Bocana

He also told me the boat they're using is a panga he had customized with the center console.

Funny thing is I didn't know about all these Baja connections or realize how much time he spends in Baja until I saw his orca video online.

Here is information about work he is doing in Baja

http://www.berkhome.com/abreojos/

And here is some useful information for people considering international projects

http://www.berkhome.com/internationalconstruction_services.h...

[Edited on 4-11-2014 by Whale-ista]

shari - 4-11-2014 at 07:19 PM

really neat, thanks for posting this. I sent it off to some researchers to see if they can identify which pod they are from.

bajachris - 4-15-2014 at 10:42 PM

Cool video. Not sure i would have people hanging over the sides of boats... Might think you are a snack. :yes:

Doug/Vamonos - 4-28-2014 at 03:53 PM

When I saw the orcas in LA Bay several years ago they were the LA Pod. Usually hang out in SoCal feeding on the grey whales. The same group was filmed killing and eating a great white at the Farallons. They were id'd by a marine biologist at USC from my pics. Very badass hombres (the orcas).

Bajahowodd - 4-29-2014 at 04:57 PM

Sorry, but I really cannot get excited about orcas. They are the ONLY cannibals among the whale species. They kill baby grey whales. And since we have spent so many years out in Ojo de Liebre and Sam Ignacio, playing and petting these gentle giants, I just cannot feel any love for orcas.

Orcas are dolphins, not whales...

Whale-ista - 4-29-2014 at 07:25 PM

so technically attacking/killing gray whales is predatory, but not cannibalistic. (cold comfort, I know)

I feel the same regarding baby grays: the thought of one of the baby whales that we've been interacting with in the lagoon falling prey to orcas or anything else en route north...no, can't even think of it. Horrible...

Still, orcas are magnificent in their own right: smart, social, cooperative. Best adapted dolphins on the planet, only ones that live in every ocean, have long-term stable matrilineal-based pods and social order, etc.

They are impressive- but I agree with you: please leave the grays alone!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Sorry, but I really cannot get excited about orcas. They are the ONLY cannibals among the whale species. They kill baby grey whales. And since we have spent so many years out in Ojo de Liebre and Sam Ignacio, playing and petting these gentle giants, I just cannot feel any love for orcas.