BajaNomad

Blood Moon Lunar Eclipse(s) on the way.....

woody with a view - 4-12-2014 at 06:35 PM

The first total lunar eclipse of 2014 will occur overnight on April 14-15, and mark the beginning of an eclipse tetrad - four back-to-back total lunar eclipses. Space.com is offering complete coverage of the total lunar eclipse, which will be visible from a wide region that includes most of North America and parts of South America.

The first total lunar eclipse of 2014 occurs overnight on April 14 and 15, but to make the most of your moon-watching experience, there are some tips to keep in mind.

The total lunar eclipse will begin at about 2 a.m. EDT (0500 GMT) and last about 3.5 hours. The moon will be fully eclipsed by the Earth's shadow by 3 a.m. EDT (0600 GMT). Editor's Note: If you snap an amazing picture of the April 15 total lunar eclipse, you can send photos, comments and your name and location to managing editor Tariq Malik at spacephotos@space.com. Scroll down for more total lunar eclipse tetrad coverage:

Diagrams explain how eclipses work.
A series of four total lunar eclipses in a row is called a tetrad. See how four blood moons of a total lunar eclipse tetrad work in this Space.com infographic.
Credit: By Karl Tate, Infographics Artist
View full size image

Photos and other multimed

http://www.space.com/25462-total-lunar-eclipse-blood-moon-co...

Whale-ista - 4-13-2014 at 02:23 AM

Thank you for posting! I look forward to seeing the event tho i may need to travel inland to get away from the coastal overcast.

Cypress - 4-13-2014 at 03:21 AM

Thanks.:)

chuckie - 4-13-2014 at 06:09 AM

Thanks, we will be having a moon watch here at 8000 feet in the Colorado mountains...

durrelllrobert - 4-13-2014 at 08:43 AM

There is a scheduled Lunar Eclipse Event at Rancho Meling for April 15-17.

wessongroup - 4-13-2014 at 08:54 AM

Hope some of our folks with good telescopes take some "picts" ..

acadist - 4-13-2014 at 09:03 AM

Thanks for posting

acadist - 4-13-2014 at 05:43 PM

Isn't that the line from Voodoo Child............

Ateo - 4-13-2014 at 06:06 PM

Watching this at Meling Ranch would be epic! My butt will be in bed by 10PM, right about when the eclipse begins for us on the West Coast.

elgatoloco - 4-14-2014 at 12:22 AM

Thanks for the heads up woody. I was a little sorry to see that space.com is saying that the tetrad is NOT a sign of the apocalypse. I guess I will have to go ahead and pay my taxes on Tuesday after all. :no::biggrin:

astrobaja - 4-14-2014 at 08:12 AM

I really wish the media would stop using this stupid term "blood moon" to describe the up-coming tetrad! Most likely it comes from the kooky whack a doodle pastor John Hagee's book "Four Blood Moons: Something is about to Change". Which supposedly links bible prophesy to some stupid religious end of time scenario.

BTW-- anyone can get a decent image of this event with a telephoto+ camera on a tripod! You don't need a large scope of any kind, actually wide field views will likely be the best. You also don't need dark skies so going all the way to Meling is really not needed since the moon itself is a source of light pollution.

Ateo - 4-14-2014 at 08:25 AM

Well said Astro!

Yep, Neil deGrasse Tyson was commenting on this "blood moon" saying "dust in the Earth's atmosphere can tint sunlight, casting eclipsed moons in deep red light."

BornFisher - 4-14-2014 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
There is a scheduled Lunar Eclipse Event at Rancho Meling for April 15-17.

Must be a Mexican full moon, because that is a day late!!!